Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving early at a football match - Yay or Nay?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Never left a game in my life

Now where's my gold star :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

DSB wrote: »
    Why do you need to show your frustration with the team? They certainly haven't seen you and said 'oh no, Fratton Fred is leaving the stadium, we'd better buck up our act'. And I really don't think it matters if you're a season ticket holder or not. You could go to every game a team plays in a season and be a poor supporter. Its about taking the good times with the bad. No1 is expected to accept terrible performances, and places like this are a great place to air your grievances, but theres no need for people to act like spoilt children over it.

I stayed to the end on Saturday, sung my heart out and it did **** all good :D

I understand what you are saying, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I have taken the good with the bad, the bad times (of which I have seen many) make the good times ten times better, but sometimes enough is enough and you can't take it any more. Whilst pointless, a personal protest does make you feel better.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Now I live here ( Ireland ) I don't get to the Bridge so often but I imagine the West Stand Upper could be like that ( although it's actually heated ..... )

They aren't heaters, they are sunbeds so the sloanies can top their tan up while watching whatever it is those hunky rich men are doing on the pitch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Since when is going to a game about enjoyment?

are you serious? A huge amount of the people who watch football watch it for entertainment, it is not a life commitment. Think of it like your favourite TV show. They enjoy watching it, nothing more. If it's a crap "episode" they'll change channel/ leave the stadium etc. And I don't think anyone should look down on them for that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

are you serious? A huge amount of the people who watch football watch it for entertainment, it is not a life commitment. Think of it like your favourite TV show. They enjoy watching it, nothing more. If it's a crap "episode" they'll change channel/ leave the stadium etc. And I don't think anyone should look down on them for that at all.

No. That is a perfectly fine attitude to have. Lotsa neutral supporters out there. But those same people shouldn't claim any real affinity to the club. Or refer to the club as 'we' when speaking about them. That is just hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know any team worse than Celtic for fans leaving early and I really don't understand it. If people have reason to leave early then of course that's perfectly alright but I don't see why more Celtic fans have to get home earlier than the fans of any other team. Although, Celtic games rarely sell out these days and it's getting worse every year. Maybe it's just a motivational/lack of interest thing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DSB wrote: »
    No. That is a perfectly fine attitude to have. Lotsa neutral supporters out there. But those same people shouldn't claim any real affinity to the club. Or refer to the club as 'we' when speaking about them. That is just hypocrisy.

These fans I'm referring to wouldn't be neutral, they have a favourite team that generally gives them the most pleasure to watch.

Imo, 90% of people who use "we" referring to a foreign club are being stupid anyway. Most of them just picked the club out of thin air (or because the team was successful when they started watching football) so they are just as hypocritical as the fans who don't devote every minute of their life to it.

I'm finding it very hard to talk about this because there are so many places we can misunderstand each other and get sidetracked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

DesF wrote: »
    Only **** leave games early imo.

Support your team to the final whistle.

Spot on. And personnally I'd stay to clap them off the pitch no matter how much we loss by.

These fans I'm referring to wouldn't be neutral, they have a favourite team that generally gives them the most pleasure to watch.

Surely the most appealing team to watch changes on a regular basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nunu wrote: »
    Then there's the cases where fans leave early to show their disgust at ineptitude. Well, using the Cyprus Croke Pk debacle as an example I think it would have been far more pertinent if all fans had stayed to the bitter end and do the reverse refusing to leave for a good half hour after the game as a form of protest. This really would have shown we cared and we might be rid of the clowns in the FAI aswell as Staunton as a result.....it's too easy just to walk out.

Remember you're talking about Irish fans here, which a large amount have no pride in our national team or our Irish clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

it's one of my major pet hates in football. it's completely beyond me why some fans? regularly leave matches early

i've never left a match before the final whistle even though there has been plenty of occasions i've felt like pissing off, but you just always stick through it no matter how frustrating your team is to watch

as far as i'm concerned it's just pure rudeness towards the players, players and teams will have sh!t nights, that's football and pissing off early is hardly going to instill much confidence into the team for their next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I myself have never left a match early. Some say they want to beat the crowds and i can understand that but i would rather stay seated untill everyone is gone. i cant imagine what it would be like playing and seeing all the fans leave.

Definate nay from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2124: GOAL Newcastle 0-2 Man City
    The Manchester City substitutes combine. Kelvin Etuhu, with his back to goal, holds off a couple of Newcastle defenders and slides the ball into the path of Fernandes Gelson, who smashes into the top corner. Cue Newcastle fans leaving in their droves.

Newcastle leading the actim index stat for "fans who are tucked up in bed before the final whislte" chart.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Newcastle leading the actim index stat for "fans who are tucked up in bed before the final whislte" chart.

Best fans in the worldtm

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

when we beat them, we went three nil in the 13th minute and hundreds of geordies got up and left:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I have never left a game early and dont plan on ever doing it. I cant understand why people leave early. The funniest time I saw it happen was when Inter were losing 0-2 to Sampdoria in 2005 with 3 mins left. The Inter fans, who were in the home end 2nd tier(where the Ultras are), were leaving and Inter ended up winning 3-2. I laughed so much at those people who left early coz they had paid to see, and then missed, one of the best comebacks I have ever seen. What a great match and they missed the best part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Personally i would never leave a game early.

But.

In the reality of the situation i can understand it happening. From the perspective of some of the bigger clubs in england where the difference of leaving 5 mins early can mean getting home an hour earlier to your family, especially for away days.

I dont approve but, in some cases, i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

deise59 wrote: »
    I guess it matters what type of match it is. The ones that really irk me are when the big clubs like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal fans etc leave early when their winning just so they can beat the traffic. Have you ever seen the north stand at Old Trafford in the final few minutes of a match :eek:

For Arsenal it is not down to traffic,more about trying to get the tube, and Arsenal tube station was not upgraded for new stadium and they shut Holloway 30 mins before and after a match as it is lift access only. Still I don't get it, the Old Bill are excellent around Arsenal and organise things well after the match, so it does flow quickly, I normally wait at least 30 mins after match and it is a stroll back to the tube.

Arsenal as a club are trying to adress the issue, discount beer after the match, live music bands and sometimes ex players q&a session.

I can sort of understand it for a midweek night game but not for weekend matches. For Londoners if they have to wait 5 mins for a tube,its bad service, they want to live here for a bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I could never see the point of it. Same as those people who would leave mass before they got their communion or else just after they had eaten it. There's mere minutes to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm against it generally but I do think it's one of the best ways for fans to voice there opinion. For me, there's something more effective seeing fans turn their backs on their team than shout boo at the end of the whistle

Effective in the sense that it makes players want to not play for that team anymore? Yes, very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm against it. You support your team to the final whistle no matter what, fans are much too fickle these days (or they just want to beat the traffic!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've left early once, that was to avoid seeing Shels win the league.

I've left early once, that was to avoid seeing Shels win the league.

Awh how cute. Some day yous will know that glory again. Wait actually probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm against it. You support your team to the final whistle no matter what, fans are much too fickle these days (or they just want to beat the traffic!)

I don't think you should support your club no matter what. Should Hearts fans have stuck with their team? How about Chelsea fans when Mourinho was sacked. Leaving early is one of the few means for season ticket holders to protest the goings on at their club. It works effectively in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't think you should support your club no matter what. Should Hearts fans have stuck with their team? How about Chelsea fans when Mourinho was sacked. Leaving early is one of the few means for season ticket holders to protest the goings on at their club. It works effectively in Italy

I disagree. If you don't like a decision made by a club, don't go to the game!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I disagree. If you don't like a decision made by a club, don't go to the game!

So not supporting your club at all is better than leaving early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Some Norwich fans regret leaving early when we played Middlesbrough at Carrow Road, being 4-0 down with 10 minutes to go, the fans were streaming out of the stadium. Suddenly in those 10 minutes we score 4 goals and the whole place erupts. The best game I've ever been to apart from derby fixtures home and away, also a lesson that it's not over until the final whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Didn't Bohs once come back from 4-0 down with ten minutes left to win 7-4 or 6-4? Against Pats maybe? How sick would you have been??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Didn't Bohs once come back from 4-0 down with ten minutes left to win 7-4 or 6-4? Against Pats maybe? How sick would you have been??

Think you are getting mixed up with this game?!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6A5S4KorpE0

Advertisement