Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decrepit kitchen-advice needed.

Options
  • 02-01-2008 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

My kitchen badly needs modernising,the units are okay but the plaster underneath twenty years worth of paper seems to be crumbly with visible inperfections.I used to think that stripping the paper and re-plastering would be the best idea but it would be a huge job and a friend of mine has suggested dry-lining instead.Has anybody any knowledge of this procedure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Degsy wrote: »
    My kitchen badly needs modernising,the units are okay but the plaster underneath twenty years worth of paper seems to be crumbly with visible inperfections.I used to think that stripping the paper and re-plastering would be the best idea but it would be a huge job and a friend of mine has suggested dry-lining instead.Has anybody any knowledge of this procedure?

theres two methods of dry lining a wall
    1 fix battons (2/1) battons to wall
    2 insulate between battons if needed
    3 fix plaster board to battons
    4 skim and tape joints
    5 if your replaceing ceiling fix ceiling boards first then wall boards

a if your using insulated boards were the insulation is lamenated to the board youll need to dab the back of the boards with dry wall adhesive
    and stick them to the wall
    b youll need a fairly long level
    c again do the ceiling first then the walls
    d this method probably wont work unless the walls are completely stipped or youll just be sticking the board to flakey walls

either way youll have to rip out the kitchen and one is a messy as the other get a good plasterer and have him come over and tell you exactly what is involved time wise and what prep work is needed (old kitchen units out walls stripped) book the kitchen fitter and sparks. try to decorate the room before the kitchen goes in (floor tiles and wall tiles) it looks a much better job
    the plaster shouldnt be more than a week in gettin ready for painting depending on how the walls dry out (dont dry them too quickly or they crack/or the plaster migth come away from the wall)and the kitchen and sparks two days depending on the crew

id say maximum 2 weeks but if you coordinate the job right (disconecting the gas/electrics/water) it shouldnt be too much of an inconvience

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

let us know how you get on ....cheers

Advertisement