Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best set of knives for an aspiring cook

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

L31mr0d wrote: »
    My problem now is, amazon.co.uk won't ship these to Ireland :( Does anyone else know of other e-tailers or stockists in Ireland that sell Henckle knives?

Harts of Stur stock the block that you are after - and at the same price as Amazon.

Contact them for a quote to deliver outside the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard that there are a lot of copies about, that's why I asked. Thing is, how do you know a copy from an original?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabatier

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rockbeer wrote: »
    Thanks. Although now I'm even more confused. :D

It seems as though putting the name Sabatier on a knive is just like putting the word Knive on it! There are so many manufacturers making them.

I saw some Sabatier Knives in a shop this week that were quite expensive but were slightly reduced due to the sales and was gonna pick up a Chef's Knife but I'm not so sure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I saw some Sabatier Knives in a shop this week that were quite expensive but were slightly reduced due to the sales and was gonna pick up a Chef's Knife but I'm not so sure now.

Where were they made?
    If they're French, especially from Thiers, they're probably fine. The Sabatier name has been protected in France since 1979. Also the rule that you get what you pay for applies to some extent.

If they aren't French the name is meaningless and I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Do you know who made them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rockbeer wrote: »
    Where were they made?
    If they're French, especially from Thiers, they're probably fine. The Sabatier name has been protected in France since 1979. Also the rule that you get what you pay for applies to some extent.

If they aren't French the name is meaningless and I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Do you know who made them?
    I'll have to check again to be sure, but they weren't cheap in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Buy a stone (you can buy cheap ones for a fiver, they all do the same job) and buy a diamond steel (can get them for around 20-30 euro) to keep it honed. Sharpen on a stone maybe weekly (depends on how much you use the knife) and hone on a steel before you use it (all the time). You can look up the angles and all that online. Then you should have a razor sharp knife.

Buy a cheap stone if you've a cheap knife!
    Some Japaneses stones are not for sale to foreigners! Different grits and types of stone do vastly different jobs!

Hone on a smooth steel all you like, a Diamond steel is one of the most aggressive sharpening tools you can use. A smooth steel, brass or glass or ceramic steel is a joy in the kitchen!
    Ceramic imho is all about the fashion not the function. Why spend hundreds on something that is bound to get dropped eventually in a busy kitchen? Sure it's fine if you want to hang it on the wall for your friends to admire, but for actual everyday use diamonds are forever.

This is an odd one?

Kyocera make most ceramic knives, regfardless of the name on the blade. They can be dropped on tile and survive, I've seen the video evidence.

Diamond sharpening? What do you mean? I have DMT plates, Diamond pastes of various grits... all work for various jobs!

Generally I use oil stones for hunting knives, Japanese Water stones for my Japanese kitchen knives, Edge Pro for most knives with Diamond plates mounted on Ally carriers all day! The standard stones that come with the Edge Pro are grand, but you can get custom cut Naniwa Chosera stones or Shapton Glass stones for them as well. Premium prices but some of the best stones on the market.

I can and will free hand knives, but I do like the Edge Pro for shiny happy knives!

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

For all your knifey needs, kitchen wise anyways!

Advertisement