Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a windows installation taking up so much space?!

• 02-01-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

serverCdrive.jpg

This is SB03, on a 12GB partition and I can't figure out why it needs so much space. I don't run Exchange, so is the Exchsrvr folder in prog files superflous? How would I best get rid of it?

What about all the stuff in the Windows folder? I've run disk cleanup, but it didn't do much.

It did say that I could save 2GB by compressing old files - is that a good decision, given that it's a server?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At a guess you RAN exchange but didn't back it up so you have lots of transaction files. Doing a backup may sort that out.

you could try doing this - not sure if it will work - resetting archive bit and letting exchange delete all the old files
    attrib "c:\program files\exchsrvr\*.*" /s -a

yeah compress the old files, you could even delete the $NTservice pack folder , its not like you'll be rolling back anytime soon

$hf_mig$ I'm not sure of
    not sure if you can move service pack files to another drive and change the pointer to it

if not using windows 2000 on the network you could remove it's sp4 files from the clinent apps folder

I like to give admins full control of c:\system volume information - so you can see the space and so you can clean any virus/malware from it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

At a guess you RAN exchange but didn't back it up so you have lots of transaction files. Doing a backup may sort that out.

you could try doing this - not sure if it will work - resetting archive bit and letting exchange delete all the old files
    attrib "c:\program files\exchsrvr\*.*" /s -a

Thanks, I tried that but as soon as I pressed Enter, every file that it found was Access Denied. I was logged in via RDP, but as the admin and don't know why I wouldn't have access to the file. Unless they're in use? There was nothing about Exchange in the Task Manager.

I tried looking in add/remove programs to see if Exchange was obvious there, but no sign of it.
    yeah compress the old files, you could even delete the $NTservice pack folder , its not like you'll be rolling back anytime soon

Done, extra gig or two thanks.
    $hf_mig$ I'm not sure of
    not sure if you can move service pack files to another drive and change the pointer to it

if not using windows 2000 on the network you could remove it's sp4 files from the clinent apps folder
    I left $hf_mig4 alone and I don't know how I'd change the pointer, so left alone too.
    Took out the w2k files, and the xp/outlook03 ones since I don't use anything in that folder for installs. (trying to get Acronis Universal Deploy to work, but it's been a nightmare getting the right drivers for HP laptops).
    I like to give admins full control of c:\system volume information - so you can see the space and so you can clean any virus/malware from it,
    :confused: We don't have a domain set up (yet!) or anyone to admin the system for us, so thanks very much for the help.

It's looking much healthier and reacting a bit quicker.

serverCdrive2.jpg

Advertisement