Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 02-01-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have the 3G Mobile Broadband in Mountrath, as per 3G my area has the best coverage, however better than dialup at stages really depends on how many users are using the 3G at one time, also the weather can play a part, funny enough when I stick the 3G box out the open window the speeds are much better..

My question is does anybody else have the broadband service whats it like in your area?

P.S When I check whatsmyip.com my IP is showing in Kildare however im living in Mountrath not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

All replies welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sweetz

hi
    yes i have 3g mobile broadband and have even considered the last couple of days whether to return it and get vodofone...
    i live in portlaoise and have had a nitemare getting any access to the internet in the day time ..just no coverage or loads of other people using it at the same time..i think im on the borderline for the reception..and if im using a downloading programme at the same time i have real problems either extremely slow or unable to view other pages at all..
    i love the concept of mobile broadband..and the price as eircom is such a rip off..but it would be nice to go on line in the day.
    if any one knows of a better service in the portlaoise area would appreciate any info.
    will try sticking the modem out the window and see if that helps tanx

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Hi,
    I'm in portarlington - I got the 3 modem back in aug. or so. Returned it straight away...it was dire. Got a loan of one there last week to see if it had improved...was slightly better...dial up speeds. Still wouldn't touch it tho...would rather have nothing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Guys I got the Vodafone Modem at the start the speeds were worse than the 3G, 3G gets better at times, were I am has high trees and houses therefore it blocks some of the singal, the problems i have when im told I can get up to 3.6MBPS, but I get max 1.3MBPS if i log on when nobody else is using it, 02 may be better but more expensive, the problem is 02 vodafone or 3G cannot control how many users are using there broadband at one time, imagine your on your phone if everybody uses the network together it crashes and so does the broadband they talk about upgrdaing it but time will tell,

p.s remember vodafone only give you 5GB allowance if you can get online, worse off on data usage I would imagine if your downloading

If I was in portlaoise I would try one of the following

Irishboadband
    DigiWeb
    Clearwire

Website www.getbroadband.ie give you lists of prices and services happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Lads I live in Portarlington and I'm with Eircom Broadband home plus & talk-time after hours. I've never had a problem with it and would highly recommend it.

One of the neighbours uses dial-up and how he can still sit there and wait that long is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Thanks however, my phone line is not good enough for broadband so I will complain about Eircom for not upgrading the phone lines by now to broadband use, Eircom are so slow I had to cancel for phone line as even some of my family members could not ring me on the landline crappy 057 number wasn't worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Hi op I had the 3g broadband up til this wk cancelled it and went with perlico wireless. As you have no ph line you could try clear wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I called to make an enquiry about Digiwebs service and their packages & charges. The guy asked me for my name, phone number and email address which I thought was bit much seeing as I was just making enquiries about their service. I gave him the information and continued asking him about different packages and options. As I was talking to him, I got an email from him (my email was open on my office PC in front of me) saying that my order was "pre-approved". I asked him what the story was and he said that if I did decide to go with them, this would speed up the process. I was quite annoyed at his very forward approach and politely ended the call.
    Within a week, he called another 2 or 3 times on my mobile asking me whether I'd made my mind up or not. There was also a couple of emails. The straw that broke the camels back was when he started ringing my office phone (a number that I didn't give him, he got it from his caller ID) and leaving messages for me. I rang him back and told him to delete my records from his computer and that I wouldn't be using their service and that I was extremely annoyed at his constant badgering.
    I work in sales myself and I know all about targets and the cut-throat world of telecoms but this was way over the top.
    I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

At the moment, I am using 3's service and similar to what other mobile broadband users are reporting, it depends on how many people are on and what time of the day it is. The on-screen box will show signal strength but really it's down to how many users are on. However, it's €19.99 per month versus most other providers at between €30 - €40 a month (especially when you factor in line rental :mad:)

Advertisement