Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATH3: The first verbal bitchslap of 08'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Ordinarily i would go for somebody like an AJ Styles but as he says himself they would probably limit what he could do, so i don't think it would work out

So I am going to go for Abyss in my opinion he is one of the best big men in wrestling, he can wrestle different types of matches including any gimmick matches he can take bumps and he isn't afraid to put guys over, also he has a good arsenal of moves for a big guy such as the black hole slam the shock treatment etc.

In his time in TNA he has been part of alot of good matches all be it that many were gimmicky but somebody has to do it i suppose, Thinking about it the WWE has alot of supposed monsters but nobody fits the bill and carries it off like Abyss

If i was to debut Abyss in the WWE the natural choice would to be bring him in against the Undertaker possibly as Paul Bearers long lost son back to avenge his fathers death (out there i know but hey anything can happen in the WWE) it could start with vignettes of an unseen figure at Bearers grave rocking back and forth with his head in his hands.

Then it could be followed up with Abyss playing some Undertaker style mind games and visions of Bearer flashing up on the titantron hinting that he may be back from the dead, after that Abyss could finally debut costing the Undertaker in a big match leading to a feud of great gimmick matches culminating in a buried alive match where the undertaker threatens to reunite Abyss and his father.

Tada now that is ****ing television lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If I could sign any wrestler that is not currently under contract then really there is only one option. This man:

2,2.%20the%20rock%20wwf%20champ.jpg

Quite simply The Rock is the most charismatic wrestler of his generation (and perhaps ever) The Rock is money. During his run with WWE he attracted loads of fans that would not normally have watched wrestling and I think that he is one of the very few guys (alongside really only Austin and Hogan) to have transcended professional wrestling. The Rock must be the number one guy that any promotion would love to have.

As mentioned before he is immensely charismatic, can deliver some of the best promos ever and is much better in the ring than many people give him credit for with amazing timing. Plus he understands that wrestling is a work and unlike some other notable WWE wrestlers he has no problem putting guys over for the good of a storyline. The Rock has probably put over more ppl that any other top guy of his generation. Also as a face or a heel he is equally over and also unlike many top guys he is more than willing to play the cowardly heel.

If there is one man that can resurrect the wrestling boom it is The Rock.

And as to how I would bring him in, well I would wait until the RAW after Mania. I know conventional wisdom is that you should build up the return of somebody like The Rock with weeks of promos but I think the Jericho return proved that is not always the way to go. Instead bringing the Rock back as a surprise straight after Mania would be huge and would really reinforce the idea
    that you have to watch RAW every week because you never know what happens.

I would have JBL beat Jericho at Mania in a loser leaves RAW match that would be signed because in the lead up to it the two of them would be disrupting RAW so much with their hatred for one another. So Jericho loses and goes to Smackdown and immediately wins the Smackdown title from Edge to regain his momentum. The two of them would be another money feud.

Anyway back on RAW JBL comes out like he did last week doing the whole wrestling God gimmick much like Rock did when Goldberg debuted. Anyway as JBL is going on about how great he is and what that nobody on the roster can touch him the Titantron switches to the roof of the building looking up at the night sky. A really expensive and luxurious helicopter comes into view and lands on the roof of the building and we cut to break. When we get back JBL is shouting and roaring about the director cutting away from him and going crazy at the crowd who will hopefully be electric. Cue complete darkness for a full minute and the announcers apologising for the technical fault and suddenly "If you smell what The Rock is cooking" hits and the place goes nuts.

And Rocky comes down and announces his return to full-time professional wrestling and the first thing he is going to do is take out JBL. The two of them would be amazing together and could have a hell of a feud. And I would use the helicopter gimmick with Rocky a lot to emphasise that he is the big movie star with all the trappings.

Well I would mark out for it anyway...!:D

Word is he could be inducting his daddy and grandaddy to the HOF this year if he has the time, how sweet that would be!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Gotta head to bed, but i'll lay down my marker

Ortiz3.jpg

More to come....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

For my choice, I think I'll be looking east. The man I'd bring in, winner of the 2006 New Japan Cup, current holder of the IWGP World Tag Team Championship, Matt Bloom (aka Giant Bernard, aka A-Train, aka Prince Albert, aka Albert).

A former intercontinental champion, Bloom suffered at the hands of wwe creativity, who were at a loss to best use him. In 2001 he was given the kiss of death by being partnered with X-Pac (the only wwe wrestler to be booed during the invasion) in a stable called X-Factor. He was then given another lame duck gimmick as the Hip Hop Hippo, partnering with Scotty Too Hotty.

After an injury in 2004 Bloom was let go by WWE and has subsequently found great success in Japan where he is known as Giant Bernard. He won the New Japan Cup in 2006, who's other winners are former world champions. He is also said to have greatly improved his in ring work.

Bloom is a wrestler with very good in ring skills and, unlike some of the other people already mentioned, does not have to undergo any further training.

If I were to bring him, I would redebut him as Albert, and do so at the Royal Rumble. He would come in during the Main Event between Edge and Rey Mysterio, and power bomb mysterio to give Edge the win, being revealed as a member of Edge's stable in the process.

Edge's stable needs somebody like Albert, a seasoned wrestler with recognition. A man who can take the heat off Edge, and credibly wrestle with the top stars in the business. The major brothers can then concentrate on the tag team championship, as well as providing support.

While Edge enters a feud with Mysterio, (or whomever the rumble winner is) Albert can keep Batista or The Undertaker occupied. In the process Albert would become a constant threat to any main eventer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Cactus Col wrote: »
    For my choice, I think I'll be looking east. The man I'd bring in, winner of the 2006 New Japan Cup, current holder of the IWGP World Tag Team Championship, Matt Bloom (aka Giant Bernard, aka A-Train, aka Prince Albert, aka Albert).

A former intercontinental champion, Bloom suffered at the hands of wwe creativity, who were at a loss to best use him. In 2001 he was given the kiss of death by being partnered with X-Pac (the only wwe wrestler to be booed during the invasion) in a stable called X-Factor. He was then given another lame duck gimmick as the Hip Hop Hippo, partnering with Scotty Too Hotty.

After an injury in 2004 Bloom was let go by WWE and has subsequently found great success in Japan where he is known as Giant Bernard. He won the New Japan Cup in 2006, who's other winners are former world champions. He is also said to have greatly improved his in ring work.

Bloom is a wrestler with very good in ring skills and, unlike some of the other people already mentioned, does not have to undergo any further training.

If I were to bring him, I would redebut him as Albert, and do so at the Royal Rumble. He would come in during the Main Event between Edge and Rey Mysterio, and power bomb mysterio to give Edge the win, being revealed as a member of Edge's stable in the process.

Edge's stable needs somebody like Albert, a seasoned wrestler with recognition. A man who can take the heat off Edge, and credibly wrestle with the top stars in the business. The major brothers can then concentrate on the tag team championship, as well as providing support.

While Edge enters a feud with Mysterio, (or whomever the rumble winner is) Albert can keep Batista or The Undertaker occupied. In the process Albert would become a constant threat to any main eventer.

I actually like albert, but for this to work you would have to change his persona, nobody would take him seriously with his history

I actually like albert, but for this to work you would have to change his persona, nobody would take him seriously with his history

Well, not necessarily. after all, Wrestling fans have a notoriusly short memory span. while people will remember Albert, I don't think his past can be mostly dis-regarded. As has been done with Chuck Palumbo. On re-debuting Palumbo was getting very good crowd reactions. Who would have thought that he was capable of coming back with any credibility after his faux-homosexual in the Billy and Chuck angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I would bring over Christian from TNA and have debut at Mania. It’s accepted that its Taker v Edge for the belt at Mania however at the moment Edge has a huge advantage over Taker. He has the general a manger in his pocket and two thugs to back him up. In the weeks upcoming to Mania I would show him losing control and looking vulnerable, first Vicky is screwed out of her position by Teddy and then on Smackdown in a cage match Taker would bury the Major Brothers. Undertaker after destroying the brothers like he did with JBL would then warn Edge he has nowhere to hide and he’s next, Edge however would show his nastier side and declare him unafraid of taker and brag that as the rated R Superstar he needed no help to beat Taker. At Mania its safe to say the crowd will be fully behind Taker and booing edge, just when Taker is about to destroy Edge with the crowd in a frenzy with the ref down obviously Christian would run in and hit him with a chair. Edge gets the pin and introduces Christian to a chorus of boos next Smack down. Edge will say it’s a dream for both him and his bro to hold both WWE titles and then engineers a move to Raw for him. Christian goes over and becomes Captain Charisma playing the heel he did so successfully before he was drafted before. You then have Christian engineer a title match with the face champion and Christian demands that Edge helps him win the belt. Then you have Christian versus the face champion lets say HBK and Edge comes to the ring, now then theirs s couple of things you could do here.
    1 –Edge comes in and batters HBK, Christian becomes champion. HBK infuriated demands a move to Smackdown and comes after Edge which would be an amazing feud
    2- Edge comes to the ring and just when he is about to attack HBK hits Christian with the chair instead. Edge then claims that he cares about nobody but himself, it would also allow a Christian face change as well.
    Oh and sure you could even have a few matches with the Hardy boys as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If I could sign anyone not currently in WWE, for the purpose of getting an audience and making entertaining tv, it would be Matthew McConaughey

Sounds like an odd choice, but here's my reasoning: first and foremost, the person has to be a fan of the wrestling business. Of course, I could go with Bryan Danielson or Sting, but I'm after RATINGS! I don't believe that those two would be much of a ratings draw initially. I could have gone with Rampage Jackson, the UFC Light-heavyweight champion, who basically modelled himself after the Junkyard Dog, but he looks and acts more like a wrestler than most wrestlers, which would take away from whoever he's teamed up with. Plus there's been a couple of MMA fighters already chosen, might as well make it more interesting. I could have gone with an actor like Mickey Rourke, who's playing the lead in "The Wrestler", but he doesn't have as wide an appeal as McConaughey. Plus he's older and wouldn't be as useful for my plans

Other reasons for my choice are that the guy can act. He'll be able to cut a promo as that's basically what his job is. He's fit and in shape so he won't look out of place when he's put into the ring. He's got a big female fanbase who I'll get to tune in by guaranteeing that he'll have his top off each week :)

I'd put him on Raw. Live show, best known, highest audience. Initially he would be a face. Just saying how he's so excited as a fan to be taking part in the show, for "one night only". His excitement would be genuine if what I've seen him say about wrestling is true. Have him there as Cena's guest, the two of them talking in the ring. Then have Kennedy come out to interupt

Kennedy would run both guys down, but not being funny, just mean, hopefully getting fans firmly behind McConaughey. Have him slag Kennedy in a funny way, it'll win over some more fans. Anyway, the end result for the segment would be Cena vs Kennedy that night in the main event

Cena wins the match with help from McConaughey, after Kennedy tries to cheat in some way. McConaughey shows up again the next week, with Cena thanking him. Kennedy convinces Vince to book McConaughey in a tag match with Cena against Kennedy and a partner. Match to take place in two or three weeks time, allowing a build and publicity

In the meantime McConaughey would be shown as a friendly guy, maybe getting on well with Maria, helping out Cody Rhodes, whatever. The week before his match Kennedy would do something to hurt McConaughey emotionally, maybe kidnap his sister. Matthew would cut a big babyface promo about how he didn't want to be involved initially, but now IT'S ON!

Then we have the match and McConaughey turns on Cena at the end. Fans who like him are pissed, fans who saw it coming are hopefully won over by a heel promo by the guy the next week. Maria wonders if they're still going to go on a date and McConaughey brushes her aside to have Melina and Ashley tend to him. New stable of those three, Kennedy, plus some other heel, doesn't matter too much

The key in getting the ratings is to first win people over. There's no point in him debuting as a heel because anyone who doesn't like him will just genuinely not like him. If he wins them over first then they'll be better able to put up with him later. The new viewers that he will pull in won't care much about him being a heel in the end as he's been a heel in films without any adverse affect. If any viewers are gained from promoting that he'll have his top off on the show then they won't care whether he's a heel or a face

I think that he'd be able to dedicate himself to wrestling training for a while and that he would be capable of taking part in tag matches, but these matches would have to be announced in advance

He'd play the typical Hollywood heel, flashing his money around and always surrounded by women. And it would be genuine

I'm not a big fan of the guy or anything, I just thought that the idea was interesting!

Vince, my concern with Bob Sapp would be that he's not a proven star in the US, just Japan. Japan has always had a fascination with the big foreign fighter (see Vader, the Steiners, Stan Hansen, Hogan, Giant Silva, Hong Man Choi, etc.) and that's definitely helped Sapp. But US fans are used to big guys. Do you think that his charisma would be enough?
    EdK wrote: »
    So I am going to go for Abyss in my opinion he is one of the best big men in wrestling, he can wrestle different types of matches including any gimmick matches

I'd have agreed about a year ago, but now I'm not sure if the guy remembers how to have a straight-up wrestling match. WWE aren't going to allow the tacks and the glass and the barbed-wire that he's relied on so much, so do you think he'd be suited to WWE's style now? I suppose you could argue that taking the tacks away from him is a good thing!

Rjd2, your scenario seems to depend on Christian being seen as a star by the fans. Think of what he was doing the last time he was on WWE tv. The majority of WWE fans aren't going to know, or care, that he was TNA champ in the meantime, so I would say that his star power has dropped. Think of how Jericho was treated by the fans when he came back, and he's a bigger star than Christian ever was. I don't think he'd be accepted at the top straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Right, I'm home sick now and really don't feel like putting much effort into anything. But like I said, I'm gonna answer every question this time round. I'll keep it short and sweet.

I would bring in Paul Heyman and give him the book on Smackdown.

I wouldn't necessarily put him on tv, I'd just let him do what he does best, book feuds. Say what you will about ECW, but Heyman did get the best out of everyone who worked there. With his help he made average workers seem like stars and elevated good workers into superstars.

I'd really like to see what he would do with the top workers on SD, Edge, MVP, Finlay, Hard, Punk, Morrison and the likes (assuming he could use the ECW guys. They are still doing that talent swap thing right?). I would also love to see what he would do with criminally under used guys like Noble and Helms.

His arrival wouldn't make a huge impact straight away but he would have the potential to improve the product significantly over the course of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote: »
    Do you think that his charisma would be enough?

I think so. Along with his experience of promoting himself in Japan, his pro-wrestling training, his physique and athletic back round in both combat sports and football. Certainly though, his charisma is the key for me.

The first time I saw him on a video on you tube, without knowing anything about him I thought "Wow, this guy's a star".

Like you said he's not proven in the US and there is a difference between making it in Japan and making it over there. And although nothing in life is certain I would back him to make it though for the reasons I outlined earlier.

Certainly if I was running a wrestling company I'd pick him over anybody mentioned in this list, without blinking once. And I can easily see why Vince has been after him for so long.

Your idea is interesting. I don't get why you'd pick Matthew McConaughey over other actors (even of his age) who would make a bigger splash, due to their fame.

Your whole reasoning about him being a fan of the wrestling business doesn't work for me. I don't think any credible actor from Hollywood right now would be willing to associate themselves with pro-wrestling, be they a fan or not.

So I think you might as well have picked a bigger star for your argument.

Also the last time I cared about him was in 1996 when he was in a Time to Kill which was awesome. And the last time I heard about him was when he was in that film Sahara which was a huge flop at the box office. Basically I don't think anybody would care about him, especially an ever growing younger Raw audience. Then again, he's a good actor, so he could make it work to a degree.

If you want to draw REAL money and ratings with a middle aged American actor, Tom Cruise is your man. I GUARANTEE there are alot of people (most of them being male and aged 18-49) would pay money to watch him get beat up.

Tom Cruise just being Tom Cruise is money. It'll never happen but God, the wrestling angles write themselves for a guy like him.

*I just looked up a movie he was in. Failure to Launch made good money (124 million) world wide. Sarah Jessica Parker was clearly the draw however!~! Slightly better than the year before in Sahara, which lost 105 million.

Ok, so why Ortiz:

- MMA is mega over with males 18-34, wwe's target demographic, and Ken Shamrock was an example of how an MMA fighter can be successful within the WWE.

- However, there would be no use in bringing in an MMA fighter who wouldn't be recognized by the WWE audience. Along with Liddell and Couture, Ortiz is the face of MMA and UFC, he would be instantly recognisable to a lot of WWE fans, and there is strong chance that he could bring some UFC fans with him.

- I believe Tito would fit in real well in the WWE. He has the look, he's had experience in a wrestling promotion before (TNA), but most importantly, the guy can talk. He understands how to sell and build a fight. Look at the build to any of his fights with Shamrock. He has that special X-factor that is needed to sell a fight, be it MMA, boxing, or wrestling.

How is he brought in?

Sit him ringside for a ppv like No Way Out, along with his current girlfriend (fiancé?) Jenna Jameson. After Kennedy wins a squash match he cuts a promo on Tito and his girl, kinda Rick Rude style. At first, Tito takes it in good humour, sheepishly shruging off any pornstar remarks, but Kennedy goes to far, and Tito motions Kennedy to come down to ringside and say such stuff his face. Kennedy goes down to the barricade. The two stare down, but Kennedy doesn't talk any more $hit. Kennedy takes a step back and appears to be about to walk away. Tito lets his guard down and is about to sit down, when Kennedy lunges half over the barricade and gets a few shots in on Tito. Security is on top of Tito straight away, and the refs are pulling Kennedy back. (If anyone can remember the Tyson/Austin melee, it would be sorta like this) Security is restraining Tito and escorting him out of the arena. He's super pissed, mouthing towards Kennedy, and struggling with the guards that are pulling him back.

On Raw the next evening, Kennedy is walking around with a swagger backstage, telling anyone who will listen, how he took out Tito Ortiz, and badmouths MMA in general.

In the final segment of the show, Kennedy cuts a promo in the ring. He explains why he did what he did, saying that MMA fighters are half the athletes WWE superstars are, and he was scoring points for his team, the WWE. He then begins to suggest that his actions will have pleased Mr. McMahon, as UFC is one of the WWE's competitors, and that a suitable reward would be a title shot. Vince's music hits and Kennedy has a beaming smile across his face. However, Vince is not looking as excited. Kennedy starts his ramblings again about taking out Tito. Mr McMahon tries to interrupt him, but Kennedy keeps on going, until Vince gets so wound up and tells him to shut up (in the gargly 'You're fired' voice) Vince tells Kennedy that the reason that Ortiz was ringside at Backlash was because he had just signed a contract with the WWE. The smile drops from Kennedy's face. Vince then proceeds to thank Kennedy for making his job as a promoter so much easier (Kennedy now realises the inevitable), that he already knows who Tito's first opponent is. But Vince says he's not the person to make such an announcement. He then looks above him to the Titan Tron, and Tito is on via satellite. Tito goes off on Kennedy and informs him how much he is looking forward to his first fight, and how its going to be on the grand stage that is wrestlemania. Finally, in a calm and somewhat arrogant tone, he says says to Kennedy, "if you haven't worked it out already, i'm going to pummel your face in front of 60,000 WWE fans!" Cut to finish

Obviously the two would feud over the coming weeks. Whilst for the Kennedy fight, Ortiz would be the face, in the long run I think I would have him go heel, possibly even teaming up with Edge, playing off the whole Huntington Beach Bad Boy/ Boyfriend of a pornstar reputation.

On a side note, I believe such a feud would also do a lot of favours for Kennedy and help him get out of the rut that he appears to be in as of late.

Fozzy, whilst you sell a good pitch, my fears with McConaughey is that David Arquette has left a sour taste in mouths of many fans, and that McConaughey would suffer as a result.

In relation to Sapp, I would have to agree that he may not get over with WWE fans as he has little recognition outside of Japan. That's one of te reasons that I feel Ortiz would be the superior candidate, as he has far more popularity and recognition in the US.

Your idea is interesting. I don't get why you'd pick Matthew McConaughey over other actors (even of his age) who would make a bigger splash, due to their fame.

Your whole reasoning about him being a fan of the wrestling business doesn't work for me. I don't think any credible actor from Hollywood right now would be willing to associate themselves with pro-wrestling, be they a fan or not.

Yeah, pretty much everyone's above pro-wrestling these days. But I do feel that there's a difference with "movie" acting and actually understanding how acting in wrestling works, and if you're an outsider then who better to get their head around it than a wrestling fan who acts?

I feel like being a wrestling fan is key. WWE have had some actors on their shows before and none of them stood out when just talking. I don't think they understood how it works. That aspect is so important I think. I'd have picked a bigger name (Johnny Depp was one of the first names that came into my head) but I couldn't think of anyone with a higher profile who I knew to be a wrestling fan

Tom Cruise would be interesting, but how could it work? I know we're stretching reality a little with some of these answers, but it can't be stretched too far. And I think Cruise would really be stretching it. Fans would love to see Cruise get his ass kicked, but why would he be interested in doing that? He's the biggest star around and would have absolutely no reason to do it. He'd never get over as a face either. I feel that someone like McConaughey would make a much better fit. My initial idea was to please the current fans and draw whatever other fans I can. Again, I'm not sure if Cruise would please current fans

I realised who the biggest ratings draw in the world is while I was writing that - the Pope. He's already got a fanbase of over one billion, as well as plenty of enemies who'd tune in

I had one last point which I've completely blanked on...it's the Pope's fault

Fozzy, whilst you sell a good pitch, my fears with McConaughey is that David Arquette has left a sour taste in mouths of many fans, and that McConaughey would suffer as a result.

I considered Arquette too! He never did anything to disrespect or hurt wrestling, he was just a tool. But he does have too much negativity associated with him. McConaughey is a much better actor I think and so would be better able to fit in

As for Ortiz, I'm not sure if he'd make much of a face now. He's developed a reputation for turning down fights and wanting more money. That wouldn't affect the fans who don't know him, but he wouldn't mean much to them in the first place. I'd say he's a heel in the eyes of most people who know him, so that would be my major argument against your debut of him. I just think he'd have to be a heel

I think Tito Ortiz would seem initially like an obvious good choice but history suggests that it mightn't be as good as one would think.

He is great at building up MMA fights in the US. There is no doubt about that. And he does have charisma (not Bob Sapp levels in my opinion but he has IT when he perfoms in MMA).

However, when he was in TNA, he didn't stand out at all. He came across like just another guy and that wasn't TNA's fault. He just didn't resonate on screen like he did in the UFC.

He reminded me of a Ken Shamrock when he was in wrestling, who had success but it depreciated each year he wrestled. A guy that you think should be huge but when you take him away from his natural arena, it's just not quite the same e.g. Shamrock was horrible at promos in the WWE. He went back to the UFC and he was all of a sudden gold at promoting fights.

On the other hand, Sapp has had success in both areas in Japan, MMA and pro-wrestling. And the MMA fights that he was in, were promoted in a pro-wrestling style anyway. He knows the game.

He wouldn't have the notoriety of a Tito Ortiz. Absolutely but that's where promotion kicks in e.g video packages, countdowns, guys cutting promos saying their petrified that he's coming to the WWE etc... You could do phenomenal Bob Sapp video packages and I would be very confident that when he debuted, people would care. It's the promotions job to make them care and it can be done if the willingness to do it is there.

Also, Sapp has experience in actually having pro-wrestling matches (high profile ones too) which Tito does not have.

So overall, I think I'd pick Tito if I wanted him for 1 maybe 2 matches. It would do great business. I'd pick Sapp if I wanted a guy to make a splash for 12/18 months. His momentum and drawing power would build over time culminating at 'Mania 2009 against Undertaker.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't pick Ortiz to work with Kennedy. Quite frankly, he wouldn't deserve the rub he would get from working with a guy like Ortiz in my opinion. Plus you'd have two guys feuding who are naturally unlikeable which isn't the most desirable story you could tell.

There are plenty of guys who would work better than Kennedy in that role. Triple H would be perfect, as he's seen (and positioned himself) as the franchise of the company and those 2 feuding would really get over the UFC vs WWE element of it.

And if you wanted to help rebuild a character, Jericho would be a better option I think. I could see the two of them having great chemistry.

Give the man the money for The Rock. No one can disagree Bring back Rocky

Anyway my answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Van_Dam

Anyone who watched the 15th anniversary special will agree this guy lifted the roof off the place. The man is all talent, ok on the mike and awesome in the ring.

now as for how i would have him debut,

Id have him appear at the Royal Rumble, give him an entry in the rumble but have him interfere in the Hardy Orton title match, screwing Jeff ouuta the title and setting up a series with jeff which could be un believable, Ladder matches cage matches anything is possible.

I dont think there is anyone on this board or anywhere in the world taht wouldnt like to see Jeff Hardy vs RVD in a ladder match at Wrestlemania. Show Stealer for sure

I think Tito could play either role imho.

People will naturally see him more as a heel as he tries to play the arrogant jerk role a bit, but to be honest, I like that, and I know others do too. when Mayweather fought Hatton I was rootin for Mayweather. I had nothing against Hatton, but I just love a show man. Look at the Rock, he was so good at being a heel in late '98, that the fans decided he was a face (p.s I know Tito's not in Rocky's league, but still).

In relation to him being somewhat underwhelming in TNA, I put that down to size of TNA. TNA was a nothing company back (if it isn't one today) and Tito probably just saw it as a paycheck for an appearance. The majority of his appearances were before the Spike deal. I think he would know how wide an audience WWE reaches, and he would thrive off of that. Tito in front of a Raw crowd, knowing its reaching millions around the world, would not be the Tito you saw in TNA.

Further, I could see the guy selling a ton of merchandise. He puts out some great T-shirts before each fight. Before his first Shamrock fight: "I Just Killed Kenny, You Bastard" and with his Guy Mezger fight: "Gay Mezger Is My Bitch"

I disagree with any outsiders coming into the business, especially actors. The McConaughey answer Fozzy gave does have a good spin to it, but apart from a small surge in ratings for a few weeks I really don't see the benefit to bringing in actors. It is certainly not going to improve the product. The same does apply to MMA guys. Unless they are serious about it, like Angle was when he made the jump from amateur wrestling to professional for example, I just can’t see it working. Not long term anyway.

• Advertisement

Double C wrote: »
    I disagree with any outsiders coming into the business,

So when Vince did the whole "Rock and Wrestling" concept in the 1980's, pretty much catapulting his company into the mainstream, you would have told him not to?

Basically my point is some of wrestling most successful angles have come from outsiders being involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

]Current Leaderboard
    Charlie McHugh (55)
    Fozzy (54)
    Vince135792003 (54)
    Woooo232 (51)
    Double C (49)
    Cactus Col (48)
    RichieLawlor (48)
    Edk (47)
    Rjd2 (47)
    2rds: KKV (30)
    Machismo Fan (29)
    1Rd:Bubs101 (16)
    Gimmick (15)

----

ATH:Round 4
    Q.If your could choose any superstars who are part of the current WWE Roster to form a new faction who would you pick? why did you choose these superstars together over other possibilities? and what would you call this new faction/stable?

----
    i expect people to do more than just add someone to the Edge/Majors mix too and instead form a completly new faction.

I had considerd qualifying who you could choose in the last round i.e no former WWE stars and more but instead added some emphasis to how they would be debuted. Im happy though that I left it as anyone as there were a lot of very interesting answers in the last round

Basically my point is some of wrestling most successful angles have come from outsiders being involved.

Agreed, but while Ali and Mr. T helped WWE establish themselves as a source of mainstream entertainment at Wrestlemania 1, in this day and age it is an established form of family entertainment and doesn't need to rely on bringing in celebrities for quick fire rating boosts. A show that has aired every week give or take for 15 years does not need someone like K Fed to increase ratings.

Another reason I'm against celebrities in wrestling is down to WCW bringing in guys like Denis Rodman, Karl Malone and Jay Leno. It was just horrible seeing these guy trying to wrestle.

The last example of a celebrity coming in and making an impact I can think of off hand is Mike Tyson. This worked because Tyson is a bona fide superstar, recognised the world over. Same applies to Ali, and Mr T at the time. K Fed is not a superstar in the same respect and neither are Bob Sapp or Matthew McConaughey.

Basically, when I watch wrestling, I would rather see wrestlers who can do their jobs than celebrities looking for exposure and a pay cheque!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

TBH, I thought Trump did very well all things considered and he even let himself get stunnered. He also really pushed Lashley which created a main eventer

A show that has aired every week give or take for 15 years does not need someone like K Fed to increase ratings.

Well I thought that K-Fed was actually one of the better heels in WWE at the time. And I also think that Donald Trump added a lot of buys to that Wrestlemania 23 so there is definitely a place for outsiders coming in. However in my opinion Matthew McConnaughey doesn't seem like he could achieve much.

New round people!

• Advertisement

Forgot about Trump! Weird. Anyways on to the next question. I used one faction in a previous round so I'm going to use my alternative answer now.

My new faction would consist of Elijah Burke, Shelton Benjamin and Bobby Lashley. Obviously there is a theme to this team but I wouldn't have them be a Nation of Domination v2 type faction, rather a loud, outspoken, brash group. Kind of like a black Evolution. I would definitely put a manager with them. I was thinking Layla. I could have her there anyway as the girlfriend of one of the guys, probably Burke. The man I'm thinking of as their manager though is this guy.

Smokes wouldn't be the voice of the group though, I would leave that to Burke. I've always been impressed by him and I think he would excel in this kind of role. Benjamin isn’t as bad as everyone makes him out to be on the mic. Having seen his segment with Vince and Trish on the Best of Raw DVD I think he came across pretty well in it and would definitely be effective in some comedy sketches. Lashley would be the muscle of the group, the strong, silent type. Again, he could come in handy in comedy sketches.

Smokes comes into his own when he’s running around ringside, bantering with the fans. For those who don’t know him, he was Homicides manager in ROH. He was the leader of the Rottweilers with Cide, Low Ki and the Havana Pitbulls and he is now leading Jack Evans’ faction, the horribly named Vulture Squad.

I guess I would put them on Smackdown. Obviously one faction needs another to work with. WWE really needs to bring back factions. It was great in 97 and 98 when we had the Hart Foundation, The Nation, DX, the Ministry and the Corporation. I’ll have to wait and see how others respond to this question to see who this group could feud with.

As far as a name goes, I really don’t know. It’s a shame N.W.A. is taken. :)

. A show that has aired every week give or take for 15 years does not need someone like K Fed to increase ratings.

They needed Donald Trump last year. He drew.

JBL, Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch and sure throw Michelle McCool in too: The JBL Wrecking Crew

The reason why I picked them are:

- They all have characters that would seem to gel with 1 another. I think my biggest problem with JBL's "Cabinet" faction was that their seemed to be no real chemistry between them. In contrast, Cade and Murdoch with their redneck, Texan personas would be a natural fit with JBL.

- Cade and Murdoch have been grossly mistreated for a long time now. They have the talent, the look and mic work ability to be very important characters on Raw but because they have had the role of being basically cannon fodder for Triple H, it has never really materialised. With JBL, it would give them some much needed exposure, with a guy who'll have the ability to talk all day about them.

- For JBL, he'll have 2 young, capable wrestlers to ease the burden on him. He's just back in the ring, returning from what everyone thought was a career ending injury. So the jury is still out (at least from what I know) on how he will hold up being back in the ring. Having Murdcoh and Cade alongside him will at least give him the chance to take part in a good few 6 man's or even manage them occasionally which would make things slightly easier on him than if he had to work as a singles guy all the time.

- Raw is certainly not short of babyfaces right now. And putting a heel faction on the brand would open up fresh match ups and give Cade and Murdoch the oppurtunity to get exposure wrestling more established, over guys.

- I think they could slot right into JBL's feud with Jericho. They could come make the save for him as he was about to be beaten. Jericho in turn could then later, down the road get help from London and Kendrick (another team that has been passed by) which results in both groups, one led by JBL and the other led by Jericho into a feud.

I think it's a good way to use to 2 experienced guys get 4 young talented wrestlers over, although I would emphasise that the JBL faction would be a long term one. This would just be the start.

- You could even throw Michelle McCool in if you wanted too. JBL always referred to her as the next "Mrs. Layfield" so there would be a natural fit there too. You could do the whole Dusty/DiBiase/Sapphire angle with JBL/Noble/Michelle. JBL steels Michelle from Jamie by luring her with money only for Jamie to look for revenge. You could even have Michelle make fun of Jamie by doing one of her old "I'm loving life videos" but this time it would feature her in the a jacuzzi of some sorts, massaging JBL's neck as he reads the New York times (with his cowboy hat on of course).....with JBL saying the catch line at the end...."I'm JBL and I'm LOVIN LIFE!!"

That would be down the track though as the Jamie/Michelle relationship would need to be properly established and over with the people first before you would break them up.

http://www.gerweck.net/antoniobanks.htm MVP

http://www.gerweck.net/john.htm John Morrison

http://www.gerweck.net/kendoan.htm KennyDykstra

http://www.gerweck.net/sheltonbenjamin.htm Shelton

With their Leader/ Manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_McMahon Shane O Mac

And some Eye Candy

http://www.gerweck.net/barbieblank.htm Kelly Kelly

http://www.gerweck.net/torriewilson.htm Torrie Wilson

i would name this new faction Natural Born Thrillers ( ok corny but its describes everything i want it to )

The idea is that Shane is back and wants to Rid the WWE of such Legends and What he percieves to be the Old Guard ( HBK HHH Batista, Undertaker. Heels and faces alike, doesnt matter ) claiming (to quote JR) these young studs are the Present and Future of WWE.

These Guys are all really talented ( imo MVP is the best SmackDown have) can ahve good matches with almost anyone and its not hard to believe that these are the most arrogant bunch ever to be put together, moaning over being held back by the old generation. Plus these are all potentially top class performers. The women are there to add to the effect.

I think its a newish idea ( ok not unique) but the Corporation the Nation the Spirit squad the Ministry DX, we seen all this before and its always been Established stars bringing in less established stars. The reason i chose this is because none of these are ( maybe MVP) top tier yet but could make it.

http://www.gerweck.net/antoniobanks.htm MVP

http://www.gerweck.net/john.htm John Morrison

http://www.gerweck.net/kendoan.htm KennyDykstra

http://www.gerweck.net/sheltonbenjamin.htm Shelton

With their Leader/ Manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_McMahon Shane O Mac

And some Eye Candy

http://www.gerweck.net/barbieblank.htm Kelly Kelly

http://www.gerweck.net/torriewilson.htm Torrie Wilson

i would name this new faction Natural Born Thrillers ( ok corny but its describes everything i want it to )

The idea is that Shane is back and wants to Rid the WWE of such Legends and What he percieves to be the Old Guard ( HBK HHH Batista, Undertaker. Heels and faces alike, doesnt matter ) claiming (to quote JR) these young studs are the Present and Future of WWE.

These Guys are all really talented.....moaning over being held back by the old generation.

I think its a newish idea ( ok not unique) but the Corporation the Nation the Spirit squad the Ministry DX, we seen all this before and its always been Established stars bringing in less established stars. The reason i chose this is because none of these are ( maybe MVP) top tier yet but could make it.

Actually this sounds alot like WCW's New Blood, which, if anyone was unfortunate enough to witness, was utter ****.

Also, the name of your faction was already used by a faction of young wrestlers in WCW, who, were cocky and felt older established stars were holding them back.

Have you been watching watching WCW tapes circa 2000 by any chance? :D

• Advertisement

Right .. okay.

I would team Shawn Michaels with Brian Kendrick and Paul London. The team would be called the Heart Break Hooliganz. (at least informally).

At the Royal Rumble Randy Orton loses his title to Jeff Hardy. During the rumble, Shawn Michaels gets eliminated, after suffering a sever beat down at the hands of Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade. As he lies on the outside of the ring, Orton makes his way down, and takes his frustration out on HBK, giving him the ole kick in the head.

The next night on Raw GM William Regal makes a match, HBK vs Orton and CADE & MURDOCH. Michaels gives a promo saying he's injured and unable to compete. However, he has two young men willing to take his place in the match ..... HBK gives a bit of us a bit of a backstory of helping to train these two chaps in the Texas Wrestling Academy ... and how they were the top of the class, essentially his protoges, he reveals them to be Paul London and Brian Kendrick.

The Hooligans come out, say a couple of things, Orton with C&M come down and the match begins. The Hooligans get the win with a pin on Lance Cade, after a spot of interference from HBK.

Celebrations in the ring! A new stable is formed.

Paul London and Brian Kendrick are great wrestlers, we have seen Brian Kendrick showing great amounts of charisma too (during his time as Spanky). However, as they are smaller wrestlers they have a bit of a harder time getting over with the crowd. Currently they are probably one of the best tag teams in the WWE. (not a hard task considering the competition).

Shawn Michaels is a bona fide legend. He is still performing at a very high level. He ran The Texas Wrestling Academy at the time Brian Kendrick was there (not sure about Paul London though) along with Rudy Gonzales. So there is something of a history between the three of them. (Lance Cade also attended the academy).

It would be a nice conterpoint to Michael's D-Generation X, where he played the bad guy. Shawn has reformed his ways, and so this new stable would be completly different and showcase the values that are more important to him now. It would also breathe new life into HBK's career.

I would have a faction consisting of Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Lance Cade, Trevor Murdoch and Mickie James. I'm really crap at coming up with names, so I'll see if I come up with one along the way here

For a faction to really have an effect on a show they need to have someone who is seen as a world title contender and who can lead the group. That would be Jericho's role. They're a heel group by the way, I think they all work best as heels. Jericho's been everywhere and can be seen as a guy who has a lot of knowledge to pass on. He would assemble this group so that he's got backup when he's going for the title

Cade and Murdoch are the top tag team on Raw (which is where the faction would be, by the way). Ideally you'd need another faction or at least some stronger tag teams than there are currently for this to work to its best. Cade and Murdoch would be the muscle of the group, getting the dirty work done for Jericho. I see the two of them as very talented guys but they don't get the respect that they deserve. Being in a group like this would help them get more attention

Mickie would be the obligatory groupie, only she's well able to handle herself. I'd have her hang around Jericho mainly, maybe have them as a couple, maybe just tease it, but have her be more like the psycho character she played while she was feuding with Trish leading up to their WM match. The only other women who I'd consider for this role would be Melina or Victoria, but I think Mickie would pull it off much better

Punk is the key to this group though. Initially I'd have him as a step below IC title level. He'd be the one in the group who loses more often than not. Over time he'd make progress with the eventual goal being to make him a top star. He would be the straight man of the faction, always staying focused while Cade and Murdoch are drinking and beating guys up for the laugh, while Mickie is being a psycho, and while Jericho is just being his cocky self. I'm reminded of a promo from ROH after Punk and Cabana won the tag titles, the camera was in Punk's face backstage while he started talking real seriously, when suddenly Colt blew a party horn in his face and the camera zoomed out to show a big party with streamers and noise and everything. Then the camera went back to Punk to say "my life is a war". That's the Punk I envision, the guy who's trying to keep it all together while he's surrounded by all the craziness

The idea behind the Punk thing is that over time he'd endear himself to the fans as Jericho feels more threatened by him. That would eventually lead to a feud between the two, establishing Punk as a top guy. That would be the final goal of the faction. Plenty for them to do before that though

I think it would work best with these guys because Jericho's already got the respect of most fans and it'd help the other three guys who I don't think are as appreciated as they should be. Mickie adds another dimension to it, allowing many more possibilities for the group before they can ever get repetitive. All five can get it done in the ring, which is only a good thing

And as for their name...how about "The Renegade Assassins"? How's that for generic?!

i'd put Shelton Benjamin.Elijah Burke and Kofi Kingston together as Nu-Skool the young brash, athletic superstars, the new blood of the wrestling business possibly managed by mr thuggin and buggin himself Teddy Long

They would be a loud brash hip-hop styled obnoxious group who would rely on their athleticism and cocky attitudes to get ahead

I would choose these three as the are athletes who can work well in the ring, they also have youth and longevity on their side

Long managing them fits perfectly as he's an old head who's character is very hip-hop based and he can be the mouthpiece for a group who while they are athletic lack on the mic except maybe for Burke but then he is freed up to concentrate on wrestling they would start on ECW and work their way through all the veterans leaving them in their wake with their devastating tag team move "class dismissed"

Then on to Raw and Smackdown to do the same showing true athletes can prosper

Shelton is under used Burke needs something to catapult him as the New Breed didnt work and Kofi can come along for the ride to get over fast as what i've seen of him has been very impressive

I've taken my time posting this answer because I have really had to rack my brain for this one.

I'd opt for a heel faction consisting of Kennedy, Santino, and a newly formed tag team of Chuck Palumbo and Jamie Noble. The stable would be called 'New Wave Dominance' (lame, I know)

I've always liked stables that were tiered. That is, a Main eventer, a tag team and a mid-card/IC contender. Therefore I wanted my stable based on that formula.

The reasoning behind the tag team of Palumbo and Noble, is I think such a pairing could work quite well.

Palumbo since he has come back has impressed me, I like his new look, and he carries off the bad ass biker alot better than 'Taker circa 2000.

Noble is just a great great talent. Fantastic in the ring, but it is his character that I really love. His recent programme with McCool and chuck and has been one of the entertaining highlights of recent Smackdown episodes for me, with the dinner date skit being funny as fook. I think the pair could work well as tag team. Further, the cruiserweight division is dead, and thus a run for tag titles would utilise Noble's character, rather than leaving it by the wayside once his current programme with McCool and Palumbo finishes.

You don't often get to see big man/ little man tag teams, but whenever I have seen them they've been great (X-Pac/Kane and Rey/Various big guys) I'd have Chuck play the straight man, and Noble continue with his comedic redneck character, sort of an odd couple tag team. I think turning them would be easy. Have them both get fed up with Michelle, and cut a nasty promo on her (maybe even landing a move on her, but WWE don't really do that anymore). Some tag team come into make the save, and Chuck and Noble fight them off, thus, forming a partnership.

The reason I choose Kennedy is that I still think the guy has big potential. He showed alot of it when he first broke through, but is presently at risk of becoming a Matt Hardy, and I think too much time has been put into to his character to let it drift in to the mid-card abyss. I think if he focused more on what aspects of his character connected with audience, and tweaked his promos, he could get the push he needs. In this respect, the stable would in some ways act as a vehicle for Kennedy to be elevated (much like how DX of '99 was for HHH)

Finally, there's Santino. Like I said at the outset, there's a type of stable that I favour, for which there is a role for an IC contender. Selfishly I took the easy choice of Santino for this role. He's just gold at the moment, and I think there's longevity in his character. I think that having Santino as part of the group ensures that, whilst the group is heel in nature, fans will be entertained by the group and glad to see them on Raw/Smackdown (as in DX of '97, everyone hated these arrogant jerks, but we loved the promos and skits).

Further, I think being part of stable like New Wave Dominance, would elevate Santino from middle mid-card to upper mid-card (i.e where Jeff hardy was 6/8 months ago) ensuring that fans see progression in his character's position within the WWE (something that promising workers like the Shelton, Val Venis etc. have suffered as a result of being static)

So there you go, get ready for nWd :rolleyes:

In relation to Charlie’s but specifically Fozzy’s. I don't see why they would all get together right now?

Generally (it's not always the case but most of the time in the WWE) people form a group because they have characters that are similar or because they have something that ties them to one another. It's usually a core element

For example:

The Hart Foundation- They were all family.
    The 4 Horsemen- They were winners, who were holding titles before they joined up and now wanted to back each other up.
    Nation of Domination- Well, it was a racial thing.
    The Freebirds- They were thugs who liked to rock.
    NWO- They were WWF guys wanting to bring down WCW.
    The Oddities- They were all freaks.
    The JOB Squad- They were all losers. Sick of losing.
    Disciples of Apocaylse- They all liked bikes.
    My Group- The red neck, Texan thing going on.
    The Union- They all wanted to beat Shane McMahon up.
    The Ministry of Darkness- They were all loyal to their Master Undertaker.

I just can't see or even be able to come up with one for your group or Charlie's. Fozzy, you went with the whole "Evolution" reasoning whereby it would be all about the main guy while guys underneath him get a chance to establish themselves. I just don't know if that works with them. And Charlie, you never had any reasoning why those 4 characters would all of a sudden want to come together.

Back to Fozzy's though I think it would be perceived as a weaker version of Evolution but even then that’s not a perfect fit because evolution was all about a group that was great today (in Triple H), great tomorrow (in Orton and Batista) and great yesterday (in Ric Flair). And you could buy into that with Flair and Triple H. I’d have my doubts that people would buy into Jericho that way as a great lead guy, enough to get it over. They certainly didn’t for his last title shot.

Like I said, I just can’t see the connection that the people in your group would have in WWE currently. You have 3 over faces and you want to use them in a heel group with 2 not so over heels.

The reason that they get together is because they realise that the group that they form is greater than the some of their individaul parts.

They're title hungry, and not thick. They realise that as a group, they stand a far better chance of achieving title success than on there own. So, while there personalities don't neccessarily click, and there may well be minor in fighting and squabbling (Santino and Noble bickering would be gas) they are ambitious and like many heels, are driving towards only one thing, the title, even if that means teaming up with a group that you wouldn't consider as your mates.

Vince, you cite a number of past stables that had a consistent theme running through them. If that's the case , then I don't see how you can justify your stable. JBL has shrugged off the fact that he is a Texan. He always touts himself as a New York City financial guru now, basking in the limelight of a wealthy wall-streeter. I don't see how two rednecks fit in with that mould. JBL surely would be disgusted with Cade and Murdoch. They certainly wouldn't be the type of person he sees himself as, or would want to associate himself with.

The same could be said for cade and Murdoch. These are two blue collar chaps who probably detest the snobbery of a rich banker such as JBL.

In relation to Charlie’s but specifically Fozzy’s. I don't see why they would all get together right now?

Actually this is what I was thinking too, but didn't know how to put into words. There isn't a natural fit with The Renegade Assassins or New Wave Dominance. The groups seem just too thrown together.

The Nu Skool stable, I don't like too much, just because there really isn't a stand out star. None of the three on their own (although I don't really know kofi) excite any more. I think a good stable at least needs either an established (upper midcard) star, or someone with great momentum. Nu Skool has neither.

The reason that they get together is because they realise that the group that they form is greater than the some of their individaul parts.

Ok well here's my logic:

My 2 rednecks want to better themselves just like JBL did. They saw JBL make it and now they want to do the same. Yeah JBL lives in New York but he carries himself like a guy that wouldn't mind 2 lackies from Texas to do his dirty work!

Plus he can see himself 10 years ago when he was in the New Black Jacks, where Cade/Murdoch are now, as 2 guys with lots of potential, stuck in a rut who he can help, while at the same time they can help them.

To quote a phrase from Forrest Gump, JBL and Cade/Murdoch are like "peas and carrots". It just works. They could do it next week on Raw and it would be natural, with not a whole lot of explanation required.

Don't forget Mrs. JBL (Michelle McCool either). That storyline I came up with (stole from 17 years ago!) is money and a career maker if they worked it right with Jamie Noble.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Actually this is what I was thinking too, but didn't know how to put into words. There isn't a natural fit with The Renegade Assassins or New Wave Dominance. The groups seem just too thrown together.

The Nu Skool stable, I don't like too much, just because there really isn't a stand out star. None of the three on their own (although I don't really know kofi) excite any more. I think a good stable at least needs either an established (upper midcard) star, or someone with great momentum. Nu Skool has neither.

Who on ECW does?, ECW is used as a breeding ground a place to try to get over before you get back to the big brands, they dont have to be established stars they are coming together to try to become stars

Ok my stable is Harry Smith, Drew Galloway, The Highlanders and William Regal. The connection is obvious as they are all from or connected to the UK and I would call them The Empire. The idea would be that they would be trying to re-establish the dominance of Great Britain with the whole Rule Britannia thing.

Obviously they would be a heel faction and I think it could really get over with Regal as a mouthpiece. All of the other members would need a change of gimmick and this is especially true of The Highlanders. I know that similar factions like this have existed before but I think a strong UK heel faction could really work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I’m in a rush so I will suggest Kennedy, Punk, Umaga Cade and Murdoch. Kennedy would be the brash leader who we all agree whether we like it or not is going to be pushed big time next year. Punk would be the cocky young upstart and Umaga would be the unstoppable monster and Cade and Murdoch would be the main tag team. I know he’s jobbed a bit recently but it would be easy to build him up again. The group would come about after Kennedy is overlooked for a shot at the title in favour of an experienced veteran say HHH or HBK. Kennedy would then bang on about how unfair it is he’s being ignored because he is up and coming legend and that he is fed up with the veterans getting all the shots. He then would introduce the other four who he claims feel that they are also upset with being overlooked and then they would go after the main RAW belts. CM punk would go after the intercontinental, Kennedy would go after an established veteran HHH or even DX and Cade and Murdoch would win the tag team titles and heh with Kennedy’s support the WWE may actually finally give them well deserved push. Umaga would act as a general enforcer for the group.
    The groups name and my god I am in a rush would be the Competition.

Current Leaderboard
    Charlie McHugh (72)
    Vince135792003 (72)
    Fozzy (71)
    Woooo232 67)
    Double C (66)
    Cactus Col (64)
    RichieLawlor (63)
    Edk (63)
    Rjd2 (62)

2rds: KKV (30)
    Machismo Fan (29)
    1Rd:Bubs101 (16)
    Gimmick (15)

----

ATH:final round
    Q.If your could pick any singles wrestler in the WWE, male or female to get a title push right now, who would you pick? which title would you have them competing for? would you give them the belt? and finally why would you make these choices?

----
    Very close at the moment between the 1st round leader, the mod and the former champ. If there is a draw at the top at the end I will have a final tie break round.

Some very interesting factions proposed in Rd4 not to mention their names, although I do think with some of the groups it would be questionable as to if all the character mentioned would gel personality wise in a group. Personally I would like to see one or two of these stables in the WWE now.

Im getting shafted hehe

btw ive said before that I will try and do one of these every month (and a bit) i.e will prob start the next one up around the 16th of Febuary. but if anyone would be interested in being an ATH guest host PM me and any time I am unable to take the helm and run this, I would be more than willing to appoint a temporary successor.

That's a hard question because right now, alot of people who are typically not at the main level are getting their shot at the Rumble (Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio).

My pick will be Ric Flair and it will be for the World Heavyweight. Why do I pick him:

-Well at a general level if your gonna pick someone to get a push for a belt, it might as well be one that means something.

- Right now, he's getting spot lighted more than he has in the last 2 or 3 years. So it wouldn't be a total bolt out of the blue to have him in the title picture. It's pretty realistic while at the same time surprising to the viewer.

- He's got a "Wrestlemania esque" story. Out of everybody in the roster, his retirement storyline is something that can build and build to him eventually winning at 'Mania.

- I think it would be a fitting way to end Flairs career to be in a title match at Wrestlemania. For the best part of his career, Ric Flair's character has been built upon title runs and what better way to end his career by being lofted up in the air by old friends and adversaries with a belt in the air.

How I would I do it? Very simply. I'd have him beat MVP clean. I'd have him enter the Rumble in the latter stages and I'd have him win the Rumble. He would then ultimately face Batista at Wrestlemania, beat him and then retire in the ring.

My idea does have issues. The first one being that Batista and not Edge would be the one Flair would face. While I don't think it's a big issue who Flair faces, I think the Smackdown brand should still run with 'Taker/Edge (it's money) and also if their was damage to be taken in losing to Flair at his age (not that that is something I really buy into), I'd rather Batista take it than Edge who is a long term key man for the company.

I think the other issue is, they really have to run with Flair for the next 8 weeks or so. So far, the angle they have done with him has been good but it could have been so much more.

They have to let Flair be Flair 100% of the time.

The other issue is, your not pushing a guy for the future which is true, your not. But I don't think now is the time in the WWE calendar to be pushing new people out of the blue. There's time for that after 'mania like with what they did with Brock Lensar. Right now it's about getting the guys and the story lines in place that will resonate most and have the most impact at 'Mania. And I think Flair fits in there.

Overall though, I think it could work. I think it's not too far fetched. And if they did it right, it could provide one of those rare moments (at least these days) that makes you proud and glad to be a wrestling fan.

btw ive said before that I will try and do one of these every month (and a bit) i.e will prob start the next one up around the 16th of Febuary. but if anyone would be interested in being an ATH guest host PM me and any time I am unable to take the helm and run this, I would be more than willing to appoint a temporary successor.

I think one a month is fine. I'm struggling to keep up with this one as referenced by my last rushed and fairly rubbish post.

I wont mention it again but i meant that if i cant host ATH4 a bit over a month from now or ATH5 a bit over a month from then for whatever reason I would be willing to pass on the hosting duties to someone else. So PM me anyone if you would be interested in this role.

but i digress the final round is upon us

Tough question. As Vince said, the options are limited with Jeff and Rey currently in the main event. I would like to pick Finlay but I wouldn't have an easy time thinking of how I would do it as I haven't seen Smackdown in ages, and I don’t even know if he’s heel or face right now.

The guy I'm going with is Matt Hardy. I think Matt is an excellent worker. He is great in the ring and the crowd goes nuts for him. That’s two out of the three things needed to be a face champion. The third thing needed is mic skills and unfortunately Matt lacks this. That being said, he is better on the mic than Jeff is, and is doing pretty well for himself on Raw right now.

To begin Matt's push I would start with him defeating MVP clean in the ring to put an end to that feud once and for all. I'd have Matt cut a promo saying that he wants to prove that he is the better man, and that he doesn't need the US title to do this, thus leaving the belt on MVP. After this, I would have Hardy go on a run beating guys like Dykstra, Noble, Taylor and Chavo week after week to gain some momentum.

I would then have a mini feud with him and Finlay, with Hardy getting a big win at a PPV. Also, I would start a relationship with some random diva, like this one. I have no idea who she is or what she does on Smackdown, but she's new and that’s why it would work, as opposed to someone like Torrie. I'd have her say that she's impressed by Hardy's winning streak, she has an eye for winners, yada yada...

Hardy, now full of confidence but not in arrogant way, would challenge Rey to a technical bout, which he would win, of course. This would lead to a number 1 contender’s match at a PPV with Batista. The crowd would be showing their support for the underdog, admiring the roll he is on. Batista, of course, would dominate much of the match. Hardy however, would battle back and get the victory with a roll up, ala Jeff beating Triple H the other week. After the match the Major Brothers would hit the ring and give Matt a severe beat down, and they would shove over that Lena one in the process. And she would cry or something.

Next week Edge comes out laughing about poor old Matt. Matt limps out with Lena and talks back saying he's on a roll and is gonna take the title or something generic like that. Edge laughs him off and threatens to steel Lena like he stole Lita. She bitchslaps Edge and leaves in a huff, while Edge rubs his chin with a sleazy grin on his face.
    The week before Matt’s title shot, he defeats the Major Bros in a handicap match. Then at the PPV, you guessed it, Lena causes Matt to lose the match and she makes out with Edge in the ring on front of a prone, disgusted Hardy.

This leads to a long feud, cashing in on the Edge/Lita story. Really, Lena is only involved because it’s been too long since the Lita thing, and some of the crowd may have forgotten about it. WWE really only skimmed over the surface with the Matt/Edge feud in 2005, there was so much more they could have done with it.

I picked Matt because I think he deserves an extended run at the top. Also, he’s 34 this year, he’s at the right age to be pushed. Whether or not I put the title on him would depend on how the feud goes down with the crowd. I think it would get over with them and by the end of it they would be dying to see Hardy get his own back on Edge, and that slut Lena.

I had t'internet troubles, so i missed the last two rounds. I won't bother with this one, as I couldn't possible win.

:(

• Advertisement

Only a few hours now to post your final answers and after so much effort so far its worth finishing. especially Fozzy and Charlie as atm Vince would prob become the first 2 time champ by default as he is the only one of the leaders to answer the final round.

Advertisement