Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MobyCool - Receiving premium msgs i don't want

• 02-01-2008 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

For the past 2/3 months iv been receiving msgs from moby cool or something like that. And they've been charging me. I dont know where they got my number cause iv been warned not to sign up to those msgs about ordering pictures, games and what not. And i never do. I dont ever order them from those magazines pages. If i want a ringtone il download an mp3 from a music site and then transfer it to my phone.
    They first started sending me service msgs but i turned the service msgs thing off and now they're sending me text msgs saying iv got a free ring tone and its in the next msg. But then i never even get the next msg anyway. And they're stealing my credit from me. How do i cancel something iv never signed up to. They dont even give me info in the msgs about unsubscribing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

try sending a message back with only the word "stop" (obs without the quotation marks :)) to whatever number sent it to you. If it works you normally receive a message back saying you have unsubscibed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

texting stop is the official way to stop it but often doesn't work. make sure to keep all the texts they send you and the text you send saying stop

if they're texting you from a 5 digit code (5xxxx), go here:

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/

and find out the proper name of the company. contact them and tell them you want to be unsubscribed. make sure to take the name of the person you're talking to.

if they don't stop within ten days, contact comreg who will almost cerainly do absolutely nothing to help you. then the last resort is to change your number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Recieved this message about 2 months ago:
    "have you been a lucky winner yet! Members can win cool prizes every 5 days. SP: Clarion 0818286606. Cost €36/month"
    It was followed by a message staying to reply stop to some other number, which i did.

Recieved the first message again two weeks ago and noticed this week that i've a load of credit, over €30 gone! tried to send STOP to the first message but the "number" the message was sent from just has "FREE MSG" so i cant reply! any ideas on how to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the correct place to enquire about these premium sms is RegTel try using www.regtel.ie and they have a section to find what company is taking your credit and how to stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

rliston wrote: »
    Recieved this message about 2 months ago:
    "have you been a lucky winner yet! Members can win cool prizes every 5 days. SP: Clarion 0818286606. Cost €36/month"
    It was followed by a message staying to reply stop to some other number, which i did.

Recieved the first message again two weeks ago and noticed this week that i've a load of credit, over €30 gone! tried to send STOP to the first message but the "number" the message was sent from just has "FREE MSG" so i cant reply! any ideas on how to stop it?

maybe you should call the number you just posted? 0818286606

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

if "stop" doesnt work (which is considerably likely to happen) just call regtel 1850741741 and give them the 5 digit code that usually is usually attached to the sms. this "FREEMSG" sender thing has become more common to make more difficult to get the 5 digit code, you'll have to check your call history in that case

this premium SMS sh*t is pure theft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

The amazing thing about all this (though I haven't seen any real discussion on it yet) is that even if you do stop them sending you premium texts there is nothing to stop them sending you 'free' promotional texts in future. In fact, I heard the Director if Irish Psychics Live describe this as a 'service' recently on the radio! One has the sense in Ireland that the regulatory bodies know these things are problematic, know they should be doing something to regulate them but do not have the understanding to full grasp the issues involved or to implement anything meaningful.

Texting 'stop' to an offending company is a complete fudge as the company will just move your number from their premium database to their promotional one so you still have the annoyance. The whole idea is somewhat analogous to sending a reply to an email spammer saying 'please do not spam me any more' - we all know how far that would get.

There seems little understanding from the regulatory authorities at this point that this annoyance factor is a significant data protection issue.

Anyone involved in this sector is a competete lowlife in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

this is from the stickies:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1493009#post1493009

if you still recieve the messages after sending the STOP message, get in touch with RegTel directly:
    http://www.regtel.ie/unsubscribe.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ZappaFan

In my opinion you should not have to send STOP or anything else to these scammers.

I just got a offer from mobycool and I have ignored it. If they start taking €4 per week from my account, I'll do what I did before:

Email regtel and then put me on to blackdog who had to refund me the money.

Also regtel should be doing a lot more to prevent this sort of scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ZappaFan wrote: »
    In my opinion you should not have to send STOP or anything else to these scammers.

I just got a offer from mobycool and I have ignored it. If they start taking €4 per week from my account, I'll do what I did before:

Email regtel and then put me on to blackdog who had to refund me the money.

Also regtel should be doing a lot more to prevent this sort of scam.

Please have a look at the date of the thread before replying.

This is from almost two years ago.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement