Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favouritism in families...

• 02-01-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

My mam and dad have a favourite, I am bloody sure of it,,, My sister is perfect, she can do no wrong, her kids are perfect, her husband is perfect, they live in a perfect house, in a perfect estate,BLAAAHHHHH

Out of four of us in the family I would say I am in 2nd/3rd place most of the time.

Do the rest of youse have this problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Yes, I am the favourite of ten. Its hard to deal with the jealousy, but somehow I get by! :D

In case any of my siblings are reading.. I'm only joking honest!

Only two kids in ours and im the oldest at 22, so far its been grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Seems fair enough that your sister would be the favourite. The parents would hardly be in love with the crack smoking, unemployed single mother kid would they?

I know as a parent you're not supposed to take sides, but it must be difficult.

I'm not the favourite, but I have no qualms about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I know Im my parents favourite in some ways but I used to be the least favourite. Its not really an issue we all get positive feedback from our parents in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Im mammys favourite I use my powers for good only though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm definitely not the favourite... probably something to do with how many times I set fire to the house as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

When my mam gets drunk, everyone is her favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Not the favourite but not concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

me thinks im the favourite, as i cause the least amount of trouble :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^ Same, caused parents less grief than the others. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

connundrum wrote: »

Seems fair enough that your sister would be the favourite. The parents would hardly be in love with the crack smoking, unemployed single mother kid would they?

How do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Black sheep of the family here. The brother's the favourite and the sister's the one who can do no wrong. Doesn't bother me in the slightest though - the brother's my favourite of the family too! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

out of 4, I'm the 3rd favourite. Mammys love their boys more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Quality wrote: »
    My sister is perfect, she can do no wrong, her kids are perfect, her husband is perfect, they live in a perfect house, in a perfect estate...

What's your problem? The fact that your sister is perfect, or the fact that your parents favour her?

Is it bugging you that her guy is better? Her kids are better? Her house is nicer? (All your opinions, or your parents', BTW, and all cobblers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Any time I privately ask either of me auld pair "who's your favourite?" they always say me. Therefore I can only assume it is me or they are stinking pair of barefaced liars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

im not the favourite in my family, but i gave them plenty of reason for it to be like this, so i doesnt really bother me that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Fad wrote: »
    me thinks im the favourite, as i cause the least amount of trouble :D:D

Also same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm the favourite even though my younger sister works way harder at school/college and never caused a hint of trouble as a teenager :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Well i'm certainly not the favourite, that's reserved for the (26 year old) kid sister, once I'm not regarded as a disappointment to the parents, then i couldn't give a monkey's.

And for the record I don't really get on with the younger sister, but that's more our incompatible personalities than her being the favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I'm third out of three.
    It's not that I've done anything to make my parents dislike me (recetly, at least) but that my brother and sister do more, and are generally just nicer people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm certainly not the favourite, i don't think there is a favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

kearnsr wrote: »
    How do you know that?

Sorry, I meant more in love with - as in the perfect sister would be less maintenance and hardship. And I'm aware that I'm generalising, but I know of parents who are completely heart broken with problem children. Methinks it stands to reason that they'd like the perfect one more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I reckon I am 2nd favourite of 4, but I am the favourite grandchild to my only living grandparent and she has more than 20 grand children :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm the first born son, so I can do no wrong in me mothers eyes even though by far I cause the most trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the OP hasn't been told about the adoption yet:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

connundrum wrote: »

I know as a parent you're not supposed to take sides, but it must be difficult.

I'm not the favourite, but I have no qualms about it.

kearnsr wrote: »
    How do you know that?

Here maybe

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54762190&postcount=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm the least favorite kid for sure.

Older brother is the perfect one-genius, well built, excellent with languages etc
    Little brother is the happy go-lucky one- always laughing and being goofy
    Little sister is the only girl so is always treated by my dear old ma as a doll

i was always in trouble as a kid for starting fires, throwing rocks at cars, telling my neighbour that her skin-diseased affected kid was the ugliest I;ve ever seen etc.

Even now what I like is never the right stuff:
    Study-I like history. Thats it. No career in that says my old man who's a history teacher.
    Sports- Boxing, too violent and no team attitude they think.
    Women- I've never brought a girlfriend home. Made excuses to them outside my house.It'd be like the Spainish Inquisition. My folks thought I was gay at one point due to this.
    Humour- My dad laughs at my jokes when there's us lads about but acts horrified if my ma is within earshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

id say im the favourite but little bro is givin me a run for my money.
    sister causes way way way too much trouble to be considered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that the OP hasn't been told about the adoption yet:eek:

I am the youngest of four, there is an 8 year gap between me and the next one up.

My dad told me a few years ago that I was a mistake!!:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't let the whole mistake thing get you down, OP. I'm sure the majority of us here are ;) I know there are favourites in families but it doesnt mean your parents don't love you or want you. They would be devastated if you were to die, so put that knife or those pills down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

My mam doesnt do favourites...actually when one of us is flavour of the day she "secretly" tell one of us

"You were the only one I wanted"

"You were only only one I wanted to keep"

aww quailty thats not nice, how did my mother put it oh i was a "surprise" i think its just a nicer way of saying i was a mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I love that phrase "a mistake"

Was he aiming for her mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Quality, that's so cruel! My middle child was a surprise, because her older brother was only a year old at the time - aargh, two children under two! But she has turned put to be my lovliest, sweetest, most obedient child. I would certainly never consider her a mistake.
    Pigman II wrote:
    I love that phrase "a mistake"

Was he aiming for her mouth?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

it doesnt bother me being the mistake, Sure I have two suprises of my own here!!!

• Advertisement

see you learnin- thats the way to say it ! SURPRISE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I'm definitely not the favourite, only problem with that is I'm an only child. :mad:

You shouldn't consider that as an insult to you; it's an insult to the other parent. Think about it. You didn't even exist at the moment of coitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

I'm one of four (all girls) and I can't honestly say Mum and Dad favoured any, of course we were all in bad books at times, but were never made feel less loved than any of the others.

Now, as mum of 4 (3 boys and 1 girl) I have to say I have no favourites. They all have the abiltiy to make me laugh (and cry :(). The younger two do demand more of my attention, of course, but that does NOT take from the love I feel for the older two.

However, my 16 and 14yr olds, do feel that the younger 2 (10 & 7) get away with alot more that they did at the same age - but I think thats more from the fact that I too have grown up (nearly 40) and don't have the same fears that I had when I bubble wrapped them :D:D:D

I honestly don't think parents do favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I am the youngest of four, there is an 8 year gap between me and the next one up.

Perhaps the mistake was that they kidnapped you from the SuperValu car-park instead of the Dunnes one. I think it's time to get the DNA test. Your real parents are probably flying around the world in their private jet wondering who they're going to leave their vast fortune to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

My father used to tell me while I was growing up (and usually when I was in trouble :)) that he never wanted more than one child. That was until I informed him that his lack of contraception usage was his problem and not mine and that it was time he grew up and accepted responsibility for his actions. He kind of shut up about it after that.

I think my older sister is the favourite child.

daiixi wrote: »
    My father used to tell me while I was growing up (and usually when I was in trouble :)) that he never wanted more than one child.

Thats actually viscious. Bad daddy.

I'm the eldest child and every bad thing everyone does is always my fault, and punishable until such a time as we find out the youngest did it.
    Which is why a havent a bit of sympathy for you Quality!

I wouldn't say there is a favorite in my house, we are all very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

lol, my sister's a daddy's girl, and my bro's a mammy's boy.

i caused waaaaaaaaaaaay too much hassle, they kinda just love the other two out of default that they're not me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Out of six one of my sisters is at the top. I don't know where I am though. They probably like the fact that I'm good at maths and such but they seem quite troubled by the fact that I'm socially retarded. Probably 3rd or 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

During recent drink filled evening with siblings, it emerged we all secretly thought we were the favourite with our parents (both passed away).

Now there lies clever parenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yup my dad told me I was an accident as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'm the youngest of 6 and there's a gap of 8 years between me and the next one. Mom says I was an accident but not a mistake.

I'm the only one who doesn't live near home so, anytime I'm around for a few days, I'm the favourite just cos of the novelty factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't think it's favouritism or anything but my younger brother (who is quite a good few years younger than the rest of us) gets away with so much crap and nonsense that we would never have gotten away with it's not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I read somewhere, or heard on the radio, that parents, whether they like it or not, have a favorite, though mine are good at hiding who it is ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement