Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.223 Not allowed here.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am a member of 2 gun clubs and a wildfowling club, i also fish a river which is club controlled, i have heard the argument that each of these
    clubs have reached saturation level; the club has ran out of space-bollox
    90 per cent of gun clubs have non active members- i know our club does.
    the majority of people in the gun clubs in ireland are only there because they think they have to be.......:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I never said in all gun clubs.
    I was talking about my own.
    Granted most members don't shoot, there is not enough land for more than a few lads to shoot. With development in the area in last few years 80% of land is gone, add to this the fact that development causes wildlife to drop in surrounding areas.
    There is no other available nearby land. This is not a rural area here their is alot of land and alot of people to shoot it, this is in dublin. Not much land going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I hate reading about closed shops in relation to gun clubs. I think it's wrong, I do however strongly believe you should be known to some members basically who can vouch for you. If your moving from an area to another there should be some sort of communication between the clubs.

We are not imune no matter who we are I got in to my local club by one vote 23 against me joining 24 for and a serious debate about me not being for the area. Thankfully, the people I knew where able to argue the toss that I live in the parish and can shoot the adjoining lands, that the club would be loosing out. In fairness to the NARGC, they say let people in, that it shouldn't be a closed shop. In relation to serious shooters I would hazard aguess based on my experience of the clubs Im in that less than 50% would be active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Think it is a Lux with a 1:12 twist rate. Very accurate. I'm well pleased with it.

Trojan what ammo do you find best to use in your CZ 527 LUX, this one has the longer barrel.
    I'd like to know the type for just cheapish general target, pot-shooting and setting the sights up, to the type for taking out a fox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

clivej wrote: »
    Trojan what ammo do you find best to use in your CZ 527 LUX, this one has the longer barrel.
    I'd like to know the type for just cheapish general target, pot-shooting and setting the sights up, to the type for taking out a fox?

Clive,

I started on Sako 55gr soft points (around €22 for a box of 20) but found they travelled through the fox at approx 200yds. Now, I am always aware of my backstops but wasn't happy about the follow through as also it makes the fox leak when I collected it up after to donate to research, i.e. a smell would assault the nostrils in the van soon after.

So I downgraded to Remington 45gr hollow points (around €11 for a box of 20). These rounds do not exit the fox at 200yds and are safer, in my opinion.

Some of the lads here have used other types of ammunition to suit them and their views would differ.

This is an interesting thread & might give you a better knowledge on different types of .223 ammo.

Advertisement