Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CAO Course In UCD

• 02-01-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey everyone :) im starting to panic about my CAO form (tears hair out):eek: i was jst wondrin is anyone else out ther interested in the NEW geology and archaeology course in UCD??...also has anyone got any clue what kind of points will be required?? Thankies in advance:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

i don't want to sound rude here but is it wise to put the next three years of your life into a new course? you will be one of the guinea pigs used for testing the course and finding its errors/problems so that next year people entering it will have be doing a better degree.

As for points, with only 10 places in the course , i would say points would be around 420+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Beatrice

Of course your not being rude :)...An honest answer is something tat not many will give...you have a very valid point there:)...Its jst that geology and ancient history are a great passion of mine and i feel tat it would be an excellent degree to pursue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If it's a new course then no-one will really be able to tell you the points required, as they are determined based on supply and demand, and as this course was not operated last year, there is no previous points requirements to look at. (I said something simple in a WAAYYYY to complicated way there:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hi

Final year archaeology student here. The new course is run between the schools of Archaeology and Geology (obviously :P). The course offers the usual Archaeology such as Celts, Iron Age Ireland ect ect. For a full list visit www.ucd.ie/archaeology. Geology will focus on soil formation ect. Its something I have never done and wish I had the opportunity to do. Its very valuable in practical archaeology but can be tough in third level. Lots of science!

http://www.ucd.ie/archaeology/undergraduateprogrammes/archaeologyandgeology/

Im the guy in the red hoodie and black hat ! :D

Hey :) itz great to hear an opinion from an experienced student...as i am quite oblivious to what the degrees are like at UCD..my sister and brother both attend Trinity...It looks like a great chance to apply the skills of geology in relation to the past :D....

• Advertisement

Dont listen to any "UCD is crap" stuff that gets posted on this thread. I cant speak for Geology but as far as Archaeology goes the UCD staff are all top of the respective fields and you will be in essence, studying under the best. As you progress further in your undergrad you will take on fieldwork ect . UCD is great if you know what you want to do. It sounds like you do. If you want further info on the Department of Archaeology of UCD feel free to PM me.

Unfortunately some people (for reasons i can't understand) have created a stigma about attending UCD....However I hold UCD in very high esteem:D...My present secondary school is strongly affiliated with UCD and most of our teachers are graduates :)..thanks for the great advice and information ( prior to your msg i found it hard to find the leaflet :o It will all boil down to Trinity or UCD ...:D

UCD!

Trinner's School of Archaeology is woeful. Too reliant on the English system of Classical Archaeology. The points are only high because its Trinity Orts .

Advertisement