Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equipment for a Triathlon?

• 02-01-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Apologies if there's an answer to this question already on the boards but I haven't found it.
    I'm also thinking about doing a triathlon this year and was wondering about the equipment.
    I've never seen a triathlon locally, but was wondering how necessary a wetsuit and racing bike are.
    Currently I don't own a bike and was thinking of picking up a cheap mountain bike to get started. But would I be the only plonker at the triathlon with a mountain bike?
    Also does anybody do the swim without a wetsuit?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey Paul,

The answer to the question depends a little on what Triathlon you are looking at doing. Generally speaking most of the Triathlon Ireland events are wetsuit compulsory. If you are looking to do one of the big events like Kilkee you'll find well over 90% will have good road bikes or specfic time trial bikes I'd be surprised if you see any mountain bikes at that sort of a race.

However some of the smaller events like our own King of Greystones is designed more for first time Triathletes or weekend warriors. You'll find a large percentage of the people swimming without wetsuits and a good deal of mountain bikes on the course.

If I was to give you some unbiased advice before you go spending any money no matter what anyone tells you a surf type wetsuit won't do for Triathlons, it's simply not designed for swimming in. You will actually go faster in a pair of speedos. Before you buy a bike talk to someone who does Triathlons and knows a bit about them drop out to Rob in Wheelworx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

A wetsuit is compulsory for many races. A good alternative if you don't want to buy one is to pick a pool based race to start with. There are occassionally mountain bikes in races but not many. Could you borrow a road bike off a mate? As Damien said, it's all in the race selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Hey Damian,
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm looking to do a smaller triathlon alright, but travelling to dublin would be stretching it a bit.
    As for the wetsuits, that's a good bit of info. I presume surfing wetsuits limit particular cosntant movements. I hadn't realised there was swimming specific ones.
    I was planning on doing the triathlon as a test of fitness, I like the idea of all three sports combined.
    It looks like it won't be a cheap sport to get into though. The wife will kill me if I buy more equipment for something that I'll give up in a year or two.
    The idea of a mountain bike was as something I could use outside of triathlons - you know - take the kids biking etc.

Hi Hunny,
    Is there any notation I'm missing when looking for a pool based race?
    Looking at the calendar, it's almost impossible to figure out which races are in a pool - http://www.triathlonireland.com/specfunc/race_cal.php

Maybe I need to find someone who's in the know.

Where are you based paul?
    Some of the early races (e.g. Joey Hannon in May, I think?) are pool based. I guess you just got to look at the calendar and then go to the various club websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

All open water TI events are wetsuit events.

Based in Ennis, Hunny.
    So could do Cork - Galway/Mayo fairly handy.
    As for dates, I'm a fairly good swimmer, used to be handy at the 10ks(10 years ago)
    and the cycling. I reckon I'd need at least 5/6 months to get back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hey paul, just about the mountain bike thing-don't worry about that. If you're only going to do this as a test of fitness, a mountain bike'd be fine. I used one in my first triathlon a couple of years ago-it was the Dublin City Triathlon, so it was pretty big, and there were LOADS of mountain bikes at it. The best part about it was overtaking guys on much fancier bikes than mine, and I overtook loads of them! I'm a shíte swimmer but used a windsurfing wetsuit, not the best, but it was dirt cheap and did the job. Again, if you can pick one up cheap, it's not like it's gonna ruin your season or anything. Mine was a 3mm one, but I wouldn't use anything thicker! What about renting one? At the last triathlon i was at, the loughrea triathlon, there were loads of people using windsurfing wetsuits, so you won't be alone there either.

Hope you go for it man, it's a great sense of achievement and you might even get hooked!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Cunnins.
    A cheap mountain bike and a lidl wetsuit the next time they're selling them is definitely the plan for the moment so. Now all I need to do is the training part.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

paulksnn wrote: »
    Based in Ennis, Hunny.
    So could do Cork - Galway/Mayo fairly handy.
    As for dates, I'm a fairly good swimmer, used to be handy at the 10ks(10 years ago)
    and the cycling. I reckon I'd need at least 5/6 months to get back into it.

Limerick Triathlon Club is always looking for new members. It arranges (afaik) a triathlon with the water stage in the 50m in the UL pool in May. Well worth checking out their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I think you can rent wetsuits. You can avoid the need by just doing duathlons - that's what I do (water's too bloody cold for me). Limerick Tri Club has three duathlons early in the year with a wide range of skills participating.

For a bike, try to get a bike without suspension - it only adds unnecessary weight. If you get a mtn bike, change the tyres to slicks, that will help your speed.

Thanks amazing.
    I've seen that, but was thinking 4 months would be a very short time-frame to get up to speed
    Daymo - I'll look into the slicks alright, if I get a bike. Might just have to suck it up and get a racing bike though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think it's achievable, especially if you have a good base already built up.

Btw, An Siopa Rothar on John's Street in Limerick have been known to rent racing bikes, or even if you just leave a deposit, for a triathlon. You could always train on a beat up bike and get a better one for the day. They also sell second hand racers at decent prices (not cheap, but not robbery either).

Thanks again. I think I'll give the second hand racer a go.
    As for the base built up, that's the tough part.
    Was at the gym for the first time ever on Sat. and did 15 mins on the bike and 2x10mins on the running machine (8mph). I'll have to give it a couple of weeks to see how the improvement goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Where's the best place to look for second hand bikes?

Bike shops, buyandsell, garda stations (Kevin Street in Dublin, Watercourse road in Cork, not sure about Galway HardyEustace), you could post on the triathlon ireland message board. Someone bound to be upgrading to full carbon poncery soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

If you are really budget constrained then you'd lose nothing by posting on either/both of the following sites where items are exchanged for free. I've seen some fairly interesting items swap hands.

www.freecycle.org
    www.jumbletown.ie

Good Luck.. I did my first Triathlon in September 2007 (Loughrea).. and cannot wait to do the 3 or 4 I've earmarked for this year!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

If you opt for a mountain bike (like me) then the following will help speed you up a good bit:
    • slick tires (i.e. bald)
    • aero bars (I can apply more force to the pedals when flat in the superman position)
    • cycling shorts (so no drag from wind & nice padding for your bottom)
    • punture repair kit
    • 2 water bottles
    • pouch (fits under saddle / crossbar for munchines, money, keys, repair kit, etc)
    • helmet
    • cycling gloves (in case of rain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭secman

Wet suits are compulsary now ! God triathletes must be a soft bunch now ! Sea around Ireland not exactly freezing ? I thought triathletes were a hardy lot, even judging by the name of some of thew races ... Hell of the West !

Secman

The sea around Ireland is quite cold at the moment at about 7 C. Most people would be at risk of hypothermia if they stayed in the water at that temperature for too long.
    There is also the safety issue. If you take a knock to the head in a wetsuit you still stand a chance of the safety boat getting to you as you are fairly bouyant, in togs you'll get pushed under. With a couple of hundred people in the water, how long do you think it will be before you're missed? You've 3 minutes (afaik) before serious brain damage occurs. So yes, we're a soft bunch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭secman

The main Triathlon season is from june to sept when the sea temp are quite pleasant to swim in. I know that there are a few warm up races earlier in the year and are pool based, but during the main season the sea temp is fine. Any way the safety boats are there for a reason, just thought that the issue of wet suits would be a personal preference rather than a mandatory one.

Tell me is Dave Corcoran still racing ? any old timers still racing, Edie Lane still at it ?
    Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The wetsuit issue is more because of how the nature participants in the sport have changed and the huge increase in numbers in races.

Eddy Lane was in my old club and he dissappeared off the scene 4 or so years ago. He's gone pure cycling now.

Dave Corcoran is still going strong and still hammering most of the "young lads".

Advertisement