Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

yellow residue on oil dip stick

Options
  • 02-01-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently got a check oil inidicator (yellow indicator) on my 318 ci (2002). I checked the oil level and it was at the MIN mark. I topped it up but noticed on the dip stick there was yellow residue . Is this normal to see?

Thank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

How bad is it?

Check under the oil cap to see if the same residueis is there!

It could be nothing much or could be very serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Where on the dipstick? At the very top or just above the max line?
    If it's just above the max line, I'd guess you have a blown head gasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

I dont see any on the oil cap but there is a bit usually on the dipstick itself.

it is usally present around the oil level not the very top of the dip stick.

If it is a blown head gasket is it very costly to get fixed?

• Advertisement

Well, if caught early - not much - maybe 250 or about that.
    There is a chance that it's just a buildup of moisture which has mixed with engine oil and you just dislodged it with the dip-stick.
    Does this car do long or short trips daily?
    Is there similar goo under the filler cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

10-10-20 wrote: »
    There is a chance that it's just a buildup of moisture which has mixed with engine oil and you just dislodged it with the dip-stick.
    Does this car do long or short trips daily?
    Is there similar goo under the filler cap?

I would go with this theory. If the car is only used for short trips then it is very likely that moisture may have mixed with the oil.

OP what make/type of car is it?

on a daily basis it does shortish trips (about 40 mins each way to work).

40 mins isn't short!
    That should be more than enough time for the oil to heat up and dispel the water. Is the car loosing water or overheating?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would go with this theory. If the car is only used for short trips then it is very likely that moisture may have mixed with the oil.

OP what make/type of car is it?

It is a BMW 318 ci

It does not apper to be over heating (water temp remains constant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

babel wrote: »
    It is a BMW 318 ci

Doh! Should have seen that bit in the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Pull out the dipstick again and look inside the tube that it comes out of!

If there is just some located at the top of the tube this is quiet normal. But it never hurts to get a mechanic to have a quick look at it. A head gasket on a BMW will cost a lot more than €250!

Thanks guys. Have it booked in with a BMW dealership on Friday morning. The mechanic said it is just condensation (something quite common on that year and model). Going to get him to look at it though to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

babel wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently got a check oil inidicator (yellow indicator) on my 318 ci (2002). I checked the oil level and it was at the MIN mark. I topped it up but noticed on the dip stick there was yellow residue . Is this normal to see?

Thank

I imagine your regular mechanic would not charge you to pull the dipstick, take a quick look and give you his opinion. Any garage would do this for a regular customer without the need for you to leave the car.

There is no need to worry about a head gasket at this stage, based on what you posted. If it turned out to be a headgasket it would cost considerably more that the suggested €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A new head gasket will cost the wrong side of €1,000 in a BMW to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If your 40 min commute is in traffic with the engine idling most of the time, then the condensation suggested is quite plausible. Keep a strict eye on the temp gauge, coolant level and oil level for the next while - just in case.

Advertisement