Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Advice Wanted] Minimum internet speeds in Student Accommodation

• 02-01-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is exactly the right place. So Please move it if needs be.

I live in Student Accommodation near the DCU campus. We have the option of getting Broadband in our rooms. It costs €75 a semester or €140 for the year.

Now the download speeds we have get are capped at 40KB/s. This is less than a Half Meg line you would get from Eircom etc.

So I was wondering is there a minimum speed that has to be provided to us, considering we live in a Section 50 Apartment?

Thanks,
    Matthew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Depends on the T&C of your service provider.

TBH that doesnt sound like broadband at all: more like ISDN. Slower Stuff.

Remember though its Student Accomodation - meaning I assume you live in a bloc with x number of apartments, all running x number of computers, x sessions of WoW, x amount of torrents... So it very well could be broadband, and a fair fast one, but the local area might be congested.

For €20 a month you can get a 3 modem that should give you a semi-decent connection that you can take anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So I was wondering is there a minimum speed that has to be provided to us, considering we live in a Section 50 Apartment?
    I understand the specification for Section 50 said 64k - per building.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lol 64k per building...fantastic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement