Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Cao Help Needed

Options
  • 02-01-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey :) i've probably posted this a million times...*chuckes*....I'm terrified about my CAO form (tears hair out :eek: ) Is anyone out there..ANYONE..interested in the NEW UCD Geology and archaology degree?? And does any1 have any idea about the points range?? as i dont tink im swotty enough to get 600points:D Thankies in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Beatrice wrote: »
    Hey :) i've probably posted this a million times...*chuckes*....I'm terrified about my CAO form (tears hair out :eek: ) Is anyone out there..ANYONE..interested in the NEW UCD Geology and archaology degree?? And does any1 have any idea about the points range?? as i dont tink im swotty enough to get 600points:D Thankies in advance :)

If you want to do it more than anything, put it as your first choice. Get the highest amount of points you're able to based on your willingness and ability. That's really all you can do.

And look at the points range of other similiar degrees as a reference point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Beatrice

Thanks for the brilliant advice :) ..I'll sift through some of their points for previous years courses....and then pray to the god of CAO that I will get the required points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Sure just put it number one and work as hard as you can. Bit of a no brainer really.

There's nothing to fear regarding the CAO form. You have a whole 10 choices. Provided you get over about 300 in the LC, and you have a good course that's under 300 points at no. 10, there's little to no chance you won't end up somewhere doing something you like.

A no brainer...Well i suppose...its jst nice to know the level of points that are needed...it would be terrible to miss it by a few :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

if it's a new course the points won't be known until august when the results come out. Eg. if there are 20 places on the course and 75 apply for it on their CAO forms basically what happens is the top 20 in the list will be offered the course once they meet the basic entry requirements. So for a new course you can't say if it will be 550 or 250 points. One of the previous posts did mention looking at other geology and archeology courses in other colleges to see what their points are like, similar courses usually (but not always) have a similar points cut off.

As it turns out average intake for the course is likely to be 10 (from UCD website)

Climate and Earth System Science in UCD was 335 last year
    Applied Archaeology in Sligo IT was 310

so I would imagine that would be a fair estimate of what you will be looking for

• Advertisement

That is possibly the best answer i have recieced :D...my guidence
    Counsellor jst fogged me off...The points range tat you have given seems quite attainable..Thankies im a lot calmer now..By the way i love the name..very abstract :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i'm not a guidance counsellor, but I am a teacher and I field a fair few of those questions from my own LC students every year.

There are plenty of people on here (both teachers and students) who will be able to give advice and maybe answer your questions about CAO/LC

Advertisement