Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High altitude trekking insurance

Options
  • 02-01-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A few of us are thinking of visiting mount everest advanced base camp. VHI will only insure up to 6000m and it's at 6500ish...

Any idea how to get insurance for a trip like this?

Thanks,
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hit up the British Mountaineering Council.

This is just the sort of thing they'll organise for you, at the most competitive rates too.

You don't have to be a member, and you don't have to be British either ;)

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thanks a million! Much appreciated, now I can continue my quest to die from altitude sickness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mulesmarinair

Check the small print with BMC, they will only insure to Nepal if part of an organised group or if you take a guide. Fortis underwrite them and they are the same.
    If you are going to Kalla Pattar (overlooks the Khumbu icefall and EBC), then that is c5600m, so VHI would be fine then. (Don't think you see much at EBC anyway, depending on the time of year - if you go in April May it will be occupied, October/Nov then it will be deserted)
    Insureandgo cover to 6000m for solo trekkers but you forego personal accident (not that its worth much anyway) and personal liability (you knock somebody's eye out with a pole).
    I think they cover people resident in Ireland as well as the UK.
    Gerry
    from Tuam
    living in Scotland
    going back to Nepal in late April

Advertisement