Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi

• 02-01-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Anyone got any good sushi tips/recipes? Got a few esp one from Rachel Allen cookbook. I have never made it but am going to attempt to!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I make sushi all the time, but I still can't roll it properly. It never ends up looking like it should, but it tastes good so I don't really care!
    As for fillings, I don't eat fish so I use stuff like grated carrot and ginger, avacado, tofu and red onion. I sometimes put a little miso paste or curry paste on the nori before I put the rice on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

biZrb i'd love to know how you do your rice? i've tried making sushi a few times but it just hasn't worked out at all. i was using a recipe i found online. what type of dressing etc do you put on it and at what stage? i'm a sushi novice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Well, i start off with sushi rice from the asian supermarket, cook it as normal, then i rinse it with cold water when its cooked, as its quite sticky it can be gooey, i don't like that so i rinse it to get rid of the gooeyness, leave it to drain for a bit then put it on about a third of the nori, flaten it a bit then put on the filling lenghtways along the the middle of the rice, wet the end of the nori a little(helps it stick) then roll it. I then cut it and eat it dipped in soy sauce.
    Also, I find if you cook the rice a day before its much nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sushi is yum...
    Myself, i use sushi rice from any asian supermarket, also sushi vinegar is needed too.
    The rice cooks very well in a rice cooker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Thanks everyone, gives me some good tips!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ahoney

sushi tips why not try mixing mayo and wasabi together, i use it on the nori before putting on the rice and ingrediants, it gives a lovely bite, i find wrapping the sushi roll in the bamboo mat then after in cling film and put in fridge for a couple of hrs helps when it comes to cutting. I use veggies, but i love prawns or crab meat or sticks too. just experiment its the best way, even if u make a mistake u can eat it! lol

Dunnes does a lovely smoked fish set, its a tapas pack. Blue marlin, tuna, salmon and something else...
    Also go get a nice fresh tuna steak at the fish counter... they are usually massive. Yum when raw... If you can get sashimi quality such as in wrights or beshoffs then do so.

Oh and if you are put off by Tuna as you have had it in a can, its NOTHING like the canned stuff when you buy an actual steak. Its red, meaty and is just like a beef steak almost when cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

biZrb wrote: »
    Also, I find if you cook the rice a day before its much nicer.

It's actually dangerous to eat day old rice, even if it was kept in the fridge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's actually dangerous to eat day old rice, even if it was kept in the fridge.

Do you any links to back that up? I've never heard that, nor had any problem eating day-old rice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

its usually fine once its treated correctly, eg cooled quickly and put into a cold enough fridge. if its not treated right then ya you can get very sick actually from day old rice (bacillus cereus food poisoning). that bacteria is in rice before you cook it but can survive easily through cooking and reheating, thats why you need to cool it fast and put it into a cold fridge so that these nasties don't multiply. anyway i have stored rice overnight and its been fine always, but i just wouldn't leave it hanging around on a counter for ages first etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Faith wrote: »
    Do you any links to back that up? I've never heard that, nor had any problem eating day-old rice.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/tmbc6/foodsampling/takeawaymeats.htm?printable=1

The second page suggestd the rice is often blamed when it was likely the meat

It can't be that serious.. how many pre-packed foods have Rice that is just refridgerated let alone frozen.

I have heard it before but the same goes with any meat etc... Make sure its Piping hot before you eat it and you should be fine.. i believe rice is good for 6 days in the fridge as long as its re-heated properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well most people dont eat their sushi piping hot so that rules that out. With any raw uncooked foods you have to be very careful. Lots of hand washing and not mixing utensils etc.

Coming from a food science background making sushi seems like a minefield. Lucky I love the stuff. Most sushi chefs have a lot of training but Im sure it can be done at home.

Most sushi recipes warn against leaving sushi rice for more than a few hours.
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sushi_Rice

Well my sushi rice would come out of the rice cooker, piping hot.. get rolled, then put in the fridge to cool down. Once cold, Its then cut and eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

MegFi wrote: »
    Anyone got any good sushi tips/recipes? Got a few esp one from Rachel Allen cookbook. I have never made it but am going to attempt to!;)

This is the recipe I use for Japanese rice/Sushi rice
    http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/rice/ht/ht_japaneserice.htm
    http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm

Works well, the initial soak and letting it steam seem to be key.

I've tried Sushi rice from Tesco and it did not seem to turn out as well as the stuff I got in Asia Market on Dury Street.

The is the best site I've found but there are loads
    http://www.imakesushi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Thanks everyone, great help. I made sushi finally!! Have to say quite messy and hard to get thhe rolls to stay together.
    Websites above are great - thanks too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Sushi needs to be eaten at room tempeture....once its refrigerated it starts to loose its taste, smell and texture.
    If your tum tum can handle the bugs in raw fish, it can handle room temp rice :D

Dont forget to use only the best soy sauce for sushi....no cheap s.h.i.t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

Never ever rinse Japanese rice after cooked.
    You can buy Japanese rice in asia market in town.
    This is how to cook Japanese rice;)
    1. wash rice
    2. add a bit more water than rice (ex: 1 cup rice, 1.2 cup water)
    3. boil the rice with lid on (never open the lid until done)
    4. when boiled turn the heat down and simmer for about 11 mins
    5. turn the heat off and steam for few mins.
    6. open the lid and stir the rice. (pls don't rinse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Had this in a lovely sushi restaurant in bangkok.

Get a fresh mackerel fillet.

Marinade in teriyaki sauce for an hour or two.

Pre heat grill to high.

Place close under a high grill skin side up.

Cook for 5 mins, get the skin crispy and blistery.

Turn over, cook for 1 more min.

Devour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement