Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i become a knight of the information age?

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Obscure title perhaps, but i refer of course to those bohemian speed demons, bicycle couriers.

Last summer i graduated in geology, worked in the mines over the summer for experience, an then landed this job in November. I currently work in an office job entering data, I have my own office, flexible working hours, nice conditions and easy atmosphere. Its not what i graduated in, but at least its easy money till I go to Australia or Canada later in the year.

The problem is, I hate it. Sure, by the numbers it seems handy, but I feel I am learning nothing, and wasting my youth sitting on chair watching my ass grow. The lure of being an unfettered bicycle courier is stronger than ever.

I am an experienced cyclist, and quite capable. The conundrum is that i will give up this warm, indoors job, for a minimum wage, all weathers job, which I hold in high regard, but may end up hating the reality of.

I need advice?! Anyone have any experience as a courier, is it as bohemian and fun as i think? should i stay where I am and watch my soul decay? or should i stop dreaming and grow up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why not cycle to and from work? Two birds with one stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You might as well give it a go. If you don't do it now you probably never will. Seems like the ideal time - not too attached to your job, plans to go abroad soon. Chances are it'll be miserable (grim weather for the next couple of months) and you won't earn enough to save any money but it'll be an interesting experience. You'll also be able to dazzle people with stories about how you used to be a bike-courier in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Never mind a knighthood - if you can stick it out in this weather, you should get a full bloody peerage.

(By the way, I'd have thought data entry would put you in the information age more than being a courier, which has always struck me as a remnant of the mechanical age. Some couriers even have a vaguely Dickensian appearance, with their ill-fitting, soot-blackened garb and steam-engine drivers' caps...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Chances are you won't like it. Alot of my friends are/were courriers. The better money is to be made in winter as nobody in their offices wants to stroll down the street to delivery a package. So winter means 8 hours of cycling in the cold, rain, harsh wind and being exposed to the elements all day, dealing with traffic, punctures and bike maintenance.
    In summer, alot of people see becoming abike messenger as an easy way to make money, so the jobs get shared around alot more people. couple that with people intheir offices being willing to deliver a package to the next office around the corner etc.... and there aren't alot of jobs to go around and not great money. It's a catch 22 situation.

Alot of bike messengers enjoy the lifestyle and the social side to the job. there is a great community the bike messenger scene. Alley cat races, parties, fixed gear polo etc...

If your looking to save money to go away with being a bike messenger is probably the harder way to do it.

seeign my friends workign at it and hearing about it changed my mind about wanting to become a cycle courrier. You might love it though.

Advertisement