Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annual servicing of passat

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

Anybody could let me know about the servicing of passat and timing belt change for passat in low cost and best done. Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Timing belt alone will probably knock you back €500/ €600 as it's a big job on most VAGs as you probably know. Maybe you need brakes or the usual stuff on top of usual servicing.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on which model of Passat it is.

The 1997 to 2005 old shape Passat had the engine mounted length ways meaning that it was a right pain getting at the timing belt. Most of the cost would be in man hours.

The current Passat is a bit easier to work on but expect to pay alot at a VW dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 achayan

Thanks,,, I am based in west dublin,,15

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

If you want to keep a full service history then it will be pricey from a main dealers, id suggest finding a good independent mechanic to keep the cost down... recently got a timing belt done, plus water pump and thermostat on an Audi A4 for €550...

Make sure you get the water pump and thermostat done at the same time as the belt coz if either goes on you it will be expensive to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bucks wrote: »
    If you want to keep a full service history then it will be pricey from a main dealers, id suggest finding a good independent mechanic to keep the cost down... recently got a timing belt done, plus water pump and thermostat on an Audi A4 for €550...

Make sure you get the water pump and thermostat done at the same time as the belt coz if either goes on you it will be expensive to replace.

I have a feeling the TB kit for these cars includes all these and idlers and other stuff.... but as stated, there's no harm in making sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

On the Audi A4 - what milage would the TB need to be changed at (1.9tdi 2004 model)??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

On the Audi A4 - what milage would the TB need to be changed at (1.9tdi 2004 model)??

every 60k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

On that very issue my wife has a very low milage 2002 Passat 1.9TDI only 36K miles. Would it still be OK to leave the timing belt until 60K given the cars age now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I would change it this year. Its usually 60k or 5 years. Just for piece of mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Dermo123 wrote: »
    On that very issue my wife has a very low milage 2002 Passat 1.9TDI only 36K miles. Would it still be OK to leave the timing belt until 60K given the cars age now

Remember its made out of rubber ... it does perish ... 5 years is along time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The 1997 to 2005 old shape Passat had the engine mounted length ways meaning that it was a right pain getting at the timing belt. Most of the cost would be in man hours.

I keep hearing this and TBH I think its a scam. It takes 20mins to pull the front bumper\lock carrier forward (or off if you like) and put it into "service mode". When you have done this you have more room than you could possibly ever need to replace the belt. Honestly, the B5 passats I've replaced T-Belts on where the easiest, least hassle cars I've worked on.

Example: http://www.overt.ie/files/IMG_0329.JPG

To OP, get the belt done. Like said above, its rubber, it persihes and TBH the mileage isnt that relevant, It could have been sitting in traffic for most of its life up until now. Make sure the tensioner, pulley and water pump are changed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I keep hearing this and TBH I think its a scam. It takes 20mins to pull the front bumper\lock carrier forward (or off if you like) and put it into "service mode".

I think you are quite right that the time quoted is often more than actually necessary and once it has the front off it is easy to do but the 20 mins you mention is way too short a time to strip and rebuild the front never mind do the belt pump etc.

I think you are quite right that the time quoted is often more than actually necessary and once it has the front off it is easy to do but the 20 mins you mention is way too short a time to strip and rebuild the front never mind do the belt pump etc.

Not 20mins for the full job, just 20 mins to pull the bumper/rad/lock carrier off and about the same to put it back on. At least after you've done it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 achayan

bucks wrote: »

Could u please let me know the workshop where u did this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Remember also that the labour you are billed by a dealer is not strictly the time to do the job. It includes time for the mechanic to have his lunch, go to the jacks, have a natter with his mates, wash his hands and get out of his overalls etc etc. You might be able to do the pure change job in much less time if you wanted - but a dealer mechanic has no need to push himself and with all the off-job time his occupation time will probably be 70 to 80%.

Sandwich wrote: »
    Remember also that the labour you are billed by a dealer is not strictly the time to do the job. It includes time for the mechanic to have his lunch, go to the jacks, have a natter with his mates, wash his hands and get out of his overalls etc etc. You might be able to do the pure change job in much less time if you wanted - but a dealer mechanic has no need to push himself and with all the off-job time his occupation time will probably be 70 to 80%.

Joking aside though, generally garages charge for the amount of time that is specified by the manufacturer, irrespective of how long it actually takes em.

Example...Brother in law got quoted $600 for a new alternator for his Forester. Two hours labour according to Subaru. He did it himself in about 40mins and it was prettymuch the first job he had ever done on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Has it got aircon?

If not it can be about an hour or so less to do than if it does. Bumper can be pulled straight off, if it does have aircon u cant get it off cos the rad is attached to it and taking the rad off means re-charging the aircon

Advertisement