Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named driver NCB

Options
  • 02-01-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My dad has always had company cars and a year ago he got a car of his own.

Quinn allowed him 5 years as he was named on my mums policy as well as 20 years named on his company cars.

Last year, he paid around €400 for insurance last year with 5 years NCB on his certificate. He just got his renewal notice and his premium is €600! His NCB is listed now simply as 1 year and nothing added for his many years of named driving.

He has rang and double checked a couple of times and they insist it's correct and claim it was some kind of introductory offer for last year only?

I've always stood by Quinn as I found thm very responsive but FFS, it's retarded that they won't credit him for NCB he had last year.

He hasn't had a claim, btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Named NCB and NCB in your own name are two different things/rates of discount.

Whats likely is quinn gave him an introductory discount for his named ncb last year,and now that he has a policy in his own name his named NCB is no longer in use hence the 1 year issued to him in his own name

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Same thing happend to my dad with Hibernian when he and my mam got seperate cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've always stood by Quinn ...

first mistake with insurance!

Always shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring the AA, competitive quotes mention the company car, your mums policy and the 1 year with quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

nereid wrote: »
    first mistake with insurance!

Always shop around.

It hasn't expired yet so he'll be definitely shopping around.

I always shop around for mine too but I have 6/7 years NCB and I'm surprised at them, they're usually very responsive.

Can they not make up his NCB from a 1yr. of his own and 4 years named experience?

• Advertisement

Usually when you start earning your own NCB, then you're driving experience is gone, some insurance companies take into account the driving experience though as long as you can get letters of driving experience from the other companies that your dad was with.

Usually when you start earning your own NCB, then you're driving experience is gone, some insurance companies take into account the driving experience though as long as you can get letters of driving experience from the other companies that your dad was with.

They did take his experience into account last year. He gave them proof for mum's car and from the company he was with for the previous 16 years. It's only this year they've said it must have been an introductory offer.

He's now looking for more introductory offers from other insurers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Same thing happened with me. I moved to quinn with 4 years named driver experience and the gave me a handy discount for it. The following year, when my renewal was due, they quoted me €300 more. I told them where to stick it and moved Axa for €700 cheaper. Quinn isn't worth the hassle

They did take his experience into account last year. He gave them proof for mum's car and from the company he was with for the previous 16 years. It's only this year they've said it must have been an introductory offer.

He's now looking for more introductory offers from other insurers:D

Like I said, your named driving experience goes out the window when you start earning your own ncb! Your dad is in his 50's I'm guessing?? Tell him to shop around. PM me your details and I can get someone where I work to do a quote for you even?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Like I said, your named driving experience goes out the window when you start earning your own ncb! Your dad is in his 50's I'm guessing?? Tell him to shop around. PM me your details and I can get someone where I work to do a quote for you even?

It didn't with me!

I had 5 years claim free driving with FBD on my fathers policy.

I then took out my own policy with Hibernian and got maximum NCB on foot of a letter from FBD stating the above.

I then moved to Axa after 1 year, and I got a cert from Hibernian saying i had 1 year claims free driving with them (which was true) and was a stage 5 (or something like that) on the NCB scale. Axa understood this to mean I had a full NCB.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    It didn't with me!

I had 5 years claim free driving with FBD on my fathers policy.

I then took out my own policy with Hibernian and got maximum NCB on foot of a letter from FBD stating the above.

I then moved to Axa after 1 year, and I got a cert from Hibernian saying i had 1 year claims free driving with them (which was true) and was a stage 5 (or something like that) on the NCB scale. Axa understood this to mean I had a full NCB.

...as I thought it should have been. It seems like a very strange tactic to allow people full NCB for the first year only??? A % discount for new customers is fine but why give someone a temporary NCB???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

try FBD - usually good in situations like this.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

...as I thought it should have been. It seems like a very strange tactic to allow people full NCB for the first year only??? A % discount for new customers is fine but why give someone a temporary NCB???

I should add I didn't move from Hibernian because my premium increased dramatically for the second year, it reduced at renewal time, but Axa were cheaper again. I'm one of those rare creatures that doesn't automatically renew their policy with the same company all the time!

maidhc wrote: »
    I should add I didn't move from Hibernian because my premium increased dramatically for the second year, it reduced at renewal time, but Axa were cheaper again. I'm one of those rare creatures that doesn't automatically renew their policy with the same company all the time!

Maybe it's the way that anyone who goes to Quinn with named driver experience gets a nice discount in the hope they won't bother shopping around come renewal time?? Anyone who questions it, simply gets told to FO.

I bet 20/30% of the public wouldn't remember what they paid last year let alone shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

When I was ringing around for quotes, I know quinn would just take my 1 years NCB, and didn't care about any named driving experienced I had. From what I remember 123.ie and insureme.ie both would take named and NCB into account, not just one or the other, can't remember about the other places I checked out. Unfortunately I had to stay with Quinn because they were still way cheaper, but they are a horrible company to deal with.

Maybe it's the way that anyone who goes to Quinn with named driver experience gets a nice discount in the hope they won't bother shopping around come renewal time?? Anyone who questions it, simply gets told to FO.

I bet 20/30% of the public wouldn't remember what they paid last year let alone shop around.
    You're right, Quinn sent me out a renewal for something around 1660 mark, filled out an online quote with them, put in all my details correctly, got a price of 1170!! Rang them and asked what was the difference, guy just said he didn't know but they would offer me the cheaper price. I presume they just send out high prices for renewing because most people just renew it and don't bother looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

galwaytt wrote: »
    try FBD - usually good in situations like this.

I second that shout.

They gave me a full 5 years as as named driver on my mothers policy when I got my own policy- just had to get the letter from her insurance company. Give them a ring. Always find with insurance companies that phone call is a million times better than online. You can haggle also!

Advertisement