Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Good General Purpose Kitchen Knife

• 02-01-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

My dizzy missus was trying to cut a roast joint with our kitchen knife. She loved the knife but it was totally unsuited to the job. We have a good size general purpose knife but I'm looking for something smaller, for chopping vegetables, dicing meat etc. Something size wise along the lines of the knife below.
    I know there's a place near Pearse street that I can go to, does anyone know of anywhere else in and around the city centre? Also what price should I be looking to pay for a reasonable knife?

B-130430.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

try tk maxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chargle

the place on pearse st. is sweeney o'rourkes and its a shop geared for the catering trade. they have a massive range of wusthof knives, which in themselves have different ranges for different budgets. The lower end knives are extremely reasonable for the price you pay. i presume you're looking for a carver/general purpose knife, and i'd say they start in there about 20 odd euro, but can go up to big, big prices.
    In my humble opinion, its the best place to go for knives in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chargle wrote: »
    the place on pearse st. is sweeney o'rourkes and its a shop geared for the catering trade. they have a massive range of wusthof knives, which in themselves have different ranges for different budgets. The lower end knives are extremely reasonable for the price you pay. i presume you're looking for a carver/general purpose knife, and i'd say they start in there about 20 odd euro, but can go up to big, big prices.
    In my humble opinion, its the best place to go for knives in dublin.

Hey Chargle,

Many thanks for that. It was Sweeny O'Rourke's I was thinking of as I mentioned their place in my original post. I bought a Wusthof knife from them over three years ago and am very happy with it so it was my first port of call.
    I was in there today and picked up this baby for €42:
    http://www.wuesthof.de/en/database2-classic.asp?id=1144
    4582012.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

eo980 wrote: »
    I was in there today and picked up this baby for €42:
    http://www.wuesthof.de/en/database2-classic.asp?id=1144
    4582012.jpg

I have the same knife. WOrd of caution, don't use it to cut anything on one of those rough glass bread boards. It destroyed mine and now no matter how much I sharpen it, I can't get it back to anywhere near it's former sharpness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Ballyman wrote: »
    I have the same knife. WOrd of caution, don't use it to cut anything on one of those rough glass bread boards. It destroyed mine and now no matter how much I sharpen it, I can't get it back to anywhere near it's former sharpness!!

Get it professionally sharpened if you cant do it yourself....Sweeny's might do it or recomend someone to do it.
    A knife like that will never be destroyed and should last a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go. Would be a shame to waste a knife like it.

Advertisement