Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Celbridge

Options
  • 02-01-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

What is the story with this place? They never have any stock and what they do have they leave on the shelves well past the sell by date. I once bought a frozen pizza that wasnt frozen. It is a complete shambles. They had no potatoes today! No potatoes FFS!

I have complained several times but the managment dont even pretend to care, they just stand there and wait for you to finish talking.

I know a couple of people who complained (in writing) to Tesco Head Office and recieved a generic mea culpa letter but nothing has improved.

How can a branch of a huge multinational of this size get it so wrong on such a consistent basis? Are local management not accountable to Head Office or is it just a case that Tesco are so big that they just dont care?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You could have described virtually all tescos I have shopped in there.

Although the clebridge branch always feels manky to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Chiron wrote: »
    They had no potatoes today! No potatoes FFS!

Hmmm, I was there on Tuesday and although there were some (manky looking) potatoes, there were no other fresh veg, nothing.

I took a chance and popped over to Maynooth and they were fully stocked. I thought it was strange that one would be fully stocked and the other had nothing left on the shelves so it must be down to the local management.

I didn't bother to complain in Celbridge, I just put down the basket I had and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

How can this place justify having a single toilet cubicle to serve all ladies/gents/babies and wheelchair etc customers...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Celbridge Tescos is so badly run it's un-real.

a) The fresh fruit/veg is terrible , often there are no staples such as spuds/carrots/banana etc. I have taken to splitting the overpriced bags open if they have no loose stuff and just taking what I need from there . Often the display stuff is mouldy
    b) They are so short staffed it's a joke , often you will be waiting 15 mins to pay , with only 1-2 tills open and 2 of the self service tills broken
    c) The ATM is NEVER EVER working ( this may not be Tesco's fault , but their staff could report it at least )
    d) Often goods are in wierd places , it's obvious that a lot of the shelf stocking staff can't read English because they seem to stock things anywhere

It's a shame , it's a brand new store but the local mgmt must be a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

My Nephew and his mates work there, so it does'nt suprise me to see the state of the place!

The thing that always annoys me is all the young skangers that hang around the place, not even in the just the car park but right at the entrance and even in the shop itself on occsaion. The security guards are a joke, i even seen one playing football with some young fella's right outside the door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, head over to the one in Maynooth if you can, it's approximately a zillion times better. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 robertcelbridge

I agree totally with everything said about this store it is a complete shambles i recently went into this store and picked up meat which was green and out of date also on another occasion chicken i bought was off when returned to store and spoke to customer services i was made to feel that it was my fault as not put into my fridge quick enough i live 5 mins from store what is their policy who do they report to i feel that if an EHO visited their store and saw this they would remove all meat from counter. Their pricing is a joke and lots of things are incorrectly priced lets all get together and boycott the store as i have i now refuse to shop there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pyro940

Can't disaggree with anything said above, the place is petty bad on a good day, voting with your feet is the only answer.

My I suggest using the Butcher's in the complex and the Fruit and Veg shop at the rear of the car park. Fresh product and friendly staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cill Dara

I think Tesco is an absolute disgrace lately, I can not believe that you can not walk into their store and buy Irish. I am so annoyed that they would buy British Potatoes and with the Union Jack flag all over them try and sell them in their Irish stores.

I think the Irish people should shop local and boycott Tesco stores throughout the country.

We should all be supporting Irish farmers and Irish produce as the money spent on Irish goods and products goes back into the Irish economy.

SHOP LOCAL, SUPPORT IRISH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

:eek:Zombie thread:rolleyes:

I think the OP and other posters from almost 18 months ago were talking about the old Tesco which they really ran into the ground before closing. The new one isn't that bad. Personally I prefer Aldi.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Hi,

No I was talking about the new Tesco's , I even state that in my post.

Celbridge is still terrible. The shame is the new store in Maynooth is even worse ( I couldn't believe it myself !)

I never ever buy my meat from there , the butcher's next door is much better and half the time cheaper ! The fruit and veg place ( behind the Italian Restaurant ) is also pretty good and much cheaper.

I have many times complained to the store mgmt , esp about the fruit and veg , which more often than not is manky , and in no way should be on display. Their reaction is one of indifference . I suppose they get this reaction from their Head Office who obviously feel that Irish Consumers are stupid sheep who will buy anything at any price.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

No I was talking about the new Tesco's , I even state that in my post.

Celbridge is still terrible. The shame is the new store in Maynooth is even worse ( I couldn't believe it myself !)

I never ever buy my meat from there , the butcher's next door is much better and half the time cheaper ! The fruit and veg place ( behind the Italian Restaurant ) is also pretty good and much cheaper.

I have many times complained to the store mgmt , esp about the fruit and veg , which more often than not is manky , and in no way should be on display. Their reaction is one of indifference . I suppose they get this reaction from their Head Office who obviously feel that Irish Consumers are stupid sheep who will buy anything at any price.

Ye, didn't read down as far as your post, my bad.

I agree that the managment seem to be pretty useless, you do see the odd empty shelf and out of date food. A 24hr store they should have no problem stocking up at night.

I mostly now only use tesco's for booze and the odd thing Aldi don't do.

I can recommend the butcher's outside tesco's as well, usually go there if I want something nice. And if your buying a lot you can haggle a wee bit with them too.:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

+1 on that Fruit and Veg place behind De Marios

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I was actually referring to the new Tesco in my original post.

The place is a complete joke. I rang the regional manager a few months ago and he asked me to e-mail him with my issues/suggestions which I did. I got no reply and when I rang him again he said he didn’t have time to reply to me! This is indicative of their complete lack of regard for their customers.

I also saw what I believed to be a health issue. I pointed it out to several of the army of managers that they have and nothing was ever done about it. However, when I called environmental health the issue was resolved overnight.

I now do my shopping in Dunnes Maynooth and avoid this complete shambles whenever possible.

Anybody else thinks the amount of 'disabled' parking spaces is an absolute joke in this place?!I think they actually have more of them than parent and child spaces...yeah Tesco ,like there are more disabled drivers than parents?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

When I used to work in Tesco the Celbridge branch was ranked as the worst in Ireland. That was before its makeover now.

ytareh wrote: »
    Anybody else thinks the amount of 'disabled' parking spaces is an absolute joke in this place?!I think they actually have more of them than parent and child spaces...yeah Tesco ,like there are more disabled drivers than parents?!

Yes, I find it very annoying. There are around 15-20 spaces I think. I usually wouldn't be the type of scumbag to park in a disabled space, but this is one place I have no problem doing it.

The other day one of the bouncers 'security' staff tried to give out to me. Threatened to clamp me and all the usual bs. I said I had my angle grinder in the boot and would love use it!:D

(and before all the pc crowd start, there were 3 other cars there at the time, only 1 of which had the blue sticker.)

Buffman , you know I actually agree with you on this .

My father had a blue badge ( and needed it ) it used to drive me dememted when people parked in the disabled bays who were perfectly able bodied . But in Celbridge the ratio is daft.

When it first opened ( the new one ) they actually did burn off the signs on the last 3 -4 spots each side . However they then re-instated them

I assume it's a stipulation in the planning consent or something . If it was I wish the planners had concentrated more on the exit/entrance which has to be the worst designed junction I have ever seen.

The security at Celbridge tesco are a joke, the amount of young people hanging around outside and sometimes inside the shop ALL THE TIME is a disgrace, i never ever see it when i shop in the Maynooth Tesco. I even saw one of the security guards playing football with them one day...

I assume it's a stipulation in the planning consent or something . If it was I wish the planners had concentrated more on the exit/entrance which has to be the worst designed junction I have ever seen.

That was the only sane reason I could think of too. Some EU directive or something, as it is quite a large car park around the back.
    D-FENS wrote: »
    The security at Celbridge tesco are a joke, the amount of young people hanging around outside and sometimes inside the shop ALL THE TIME is a disgrace, i never ever see it when i shop in the Maynooth Tesco. I even saw one of the security guards playing football with them one day...

Yes. Luckily I'm not intimidated by some goon in a fluorescent jacket. I've only ever seen them hassle ordinary cutomers, never the scum sitting on the walls drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

D-FENS wrote: »
    Oh were they stealing, were they shouting abuse at people, were they walking on cracks in the pavement, can you be more specific as to what law exactly they were breaking? When you say ALL THE TIME, I dropped in at 3am this morning and didn't see them, are you generalising?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

vektarman wrote: »
    Oh were they stealing, were they shouting abuse at people, were they walking on cracks in the pavement, can you be more specific as to what law exactly they were breaking? When you say ALL THE TIME, I dropped in at 3am this morning and didn't see them, are you generalising?
    I rarely see it tbh and anytime I have done I've just walked past and gone about my business. They never get in my way for me to actually pay THAT much notice to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

tescos in Celbridge is horrible I stoped shopping there when I parked in a parent and child spot and the 4 year old nearly got knocked down whoever decided to put the parking there was out of his mind it is on the main entrance road and most cars pass it on the way in and personally its too far from the door imo and I agree about the disabled parking

Tesco maynooth is far nicer better bargains to be had as well

Tesco maynooth is far nicer

Yep, agree with you there. Somehow it has a different (nicer) atmosphere about it.

If ya want to stay local give Aldi a go too.

vektarman wrote: »

Yes, I was generalising with “all the time”, but certainly a lot of the time during the day and night, there are young people hanging around.
    Loitering around shops is a big problem in Celbridge (Other areas too I know) not just Tesco, but Xtravision and the shops at Celbridge House and Thorn Hill. Your post is very defensive, maybe you like to hang around there yourself sometimes, or know someone that does?
    And I didn’t say they were breaking any laws, stealing – well I don’t know, I’m not the store detective, but yes they are quite often shouting, maybe more at each other than customers but are generally intimating. On a couple of occasions either my wife, child or myself have had to duck from getting a football in the face, or had one of them walk or run into me because they’re to busy acting the fool to see people walking past them trying to get into the shop. A few years ago I got deliberately tripped up one night down at the footbridge in Celbridge for saying excuse me to a group who were blocking it, granted that was a different location and was around midnight but the point is groups of youths are intimating, even two or three, and people shouldn’t have to deal with them going into a shop

I now do not go into the shops at Celbridge Hse because of the kids/youths hanging around there. Every morning there is evidence of drinking there ( broken beer bottles ) , and I have seen what looked like ' dealing ' in the pub car park ( yes I reported it ).

The Gala in Thornhill ( Lily's ) do chase them off to be fair.

I haven't really noticed this as being such a problem in Tesco's , it was when the new one first opened but the security guys seem to send them to the wall outside ( ie the pavement ).

I now do not go into the shops at Celbridge Hse because of the kids/youths hanging around there.

Ye, I know a few people who don't go near that shop for this reason. They must loose a lot of business because of it.

There have always been kids hanging round at the Tesco site even going back years to the days of the stairs up to Cd Soft and the indian/chinese?Yes they are often intimidating -Eurospar in Leixlip used have a similar problem-in fact there are still loads of 'hoodies' sitting on an estate wall beside it most evenings ...
    Now I know Im getting old I admit it (pushing 40!!!) but I have despised the sight of these 'gangs ' for years now ,they must inflict sheer terror on the elderly .While 80-90% of the fear is probably ill founded there is a real danger of getting a belt of a football or even verbally abused or sniggered at or worse by a significant majority.
    I clearly remember as a teen 'hanging out' in similar groups ....I dont THINK we were intimidating but I guess its hard to tell...
    I guess its just the Generation Gap which has existed for thousands of years ...

Advertisement