Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Sofa's

Options
  • 02-01-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway I'm thinking of buying a sofa from Argos. Their sofa look nice enough and the prices seem good too. I'm wondering about the quaility and the service they provide. Any opinions would be great
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Over the last number of years, I've bought two sofas from Argos. I looked at the same model in a store in Dublin, and then decided. Argos was cheaper by far, and offered a 30 day return.

I have had 0 problems. Not a single complaint. Delivery was prompt (within 7 days from order). I was quoted 12 week delivery time from actual stores in Dublin.

The quality was brilliant.

Well worth checking out, and as they say, if you don't like it, they will take it back within 30 days, no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Thanks Paul I'll have to give them another look

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I bought two of the cheap-as-chips two-seaters from them when I moved into my first flat, and they were grand for what I paid, which was very little. Delivery was pretty good too. Just be aware, as ever, that you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

With 7 years of working for the company and dealing with more delivery related complaints than I care to remember, I wouldnt touch anything "Argos Direct" with a bargepole.

Nightwish wrote: »
    With 7 years of working for the company and dealing with more delivery related complaints than I care to remember, I wouldnt touch anything "Argos Direct" with a bargepole.
    Really that bad nightwish. I'm still on two minds about to buy from them or now. The sofas look grand in the catalog and their's one which I can't seem to find in any shop I've tried.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is. Most of the complaints deal with delivery of stock rather than quality. They rarely turn up on time and often get lost and cancel deliveries because "they couldnt find the house" and fail to contact the customer. Should you wish to ring "Argos Direct" good luck to you, as even with the store ringing, we would be kept on hold for up to 40 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Yeah it is. Most of the complaints deal with delivery of stock rather than quality. They rarely turn up on time and often get lost and cancel deliveries because "they couldnt find the house" and fail to contact the customer. Should you wish to ring "Argos Direct" good luck to you, as even with the store ringing, we would be kept on hold for up to 40 mins.

That's not really a problem with the sofas though. I bought a bed a few months ago. The quality of the bed is great.
    Delivery was slow (but within their amount of weeks quoted). When I finally got a call to say it would be delivered the guy said they'd be delivered on a certain day between 7AM and whatever. At bang on 7AM the doorbell rang (I was obviously stop 1 for his day). I wasn't too happy about getting up but I couldn't really complain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

wow, weird. they featured in a dream i had last night..... i was looking to buy a new sofa, and was told to avoid em at all costs...... completly forgot about that til i saw your thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I believe Homebase and Argos are owned by the same parent company and a lot of there furniture come from that same suppliers. I'm not sure if the price is always the same. However you would get an idea of the qualtity by visiting a Homebase store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I got 2 sofa's at the start of the summer from them. Only complaint is my own fault, which is my assumption that 'large' meant 3 seater, when it was really 2 and a half. Going strong in my house though. €580 for the two on special offer, compared to a similar, all be it better quality one for €2200 in other stores. I'd take the savings tbh. They were a bargain, and really can't complain about their quality, definate value for money IMO. Delivery was a little hassle, but hey, it saved me a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

We bought a sofa from Argos about 5 months ago, its perfectly fine and i wouldn;t have anything bad to say about the price / quality. My only problem was with the delivery. We were told 8 weeks, but it arrived in 3. We had about an hours notice of delivery, during a working day when we were both at work.
    Got a phone call from the driver of the delivery van to say he would be at our house in an hour.
    Not much help to us because we were both in work at the time.
    apart from that, i would they are cheap and cheerful, well maybe not cheerful, but cheap.
    :-)

I believe Homebase and Argos are owned by the same parent company and a lot of there furniture come from that same suppliers. I'm not sure if the price is always the same. However you would get an idea of the qualtity by visiting a Homebase store.

Thats true, they are owned by the same company.

Cheers Everyone
    I think I could put up with the delivery problems as long it doesn't fall apart after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bought sofas from argos last year(07) and delivery was great no problems at all but the sofas had both clearly been used and WELL USED before i got them!

the sofa covers were completly detached and they and the cushion covers had been washed and crudely ironed/pressed. they looked like somethine you might pay €25 for in athy market!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Well worth checking out, and as they say, if you don't like it, they will take it back within 30 days, no questions.[/QUOTE]

be careful wiht argos and check that you have the return policy
    i was caught at christmas i bought a camera and printer package as a present for someone and when it was opened i found out you cant print straight from the camera to printer and you need a pc and as i the person doesnt have a pc its no good to them , so back to argos i went and explaine to the manager my problem and point blank refused to change it even for a cheaper on at a loss to me ???? then said the camera wasnt supplied with the package deal i got and was suggesting it was swapped ???:mad:

Furniture is allowed to be returned under a 30 money back guarantee. The reason you couldnt return your camera The Hunter, is because all electronic goods with a memory - camera's, phones, camcorders etc are exempt from any money back guarantee. Before you bought it it would have stated it in the catalogue, you should have been told that at the till and its also stated on your receipt. Thats why you were refused a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

is because all electronic goods with a memory - camera's, phones, camcorders etc are exempt from any money back guarantee.
    Not exempt from the sale of good and supply of services act tho

[offtopic] Well he was changing his mind about the product. Therefore the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act does not apply. There was no fault with the product, it simply didnt suit the person for whom it was purchased. When there is no fault with the product, the store is under no obligation to provide a refund [/offtopic]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't touch Argos direct. Personally, I ordered a double bed from them about 2 years ago, they took 2 weeks to deliver, then arrived at 7am (were supposed to come in the afternoon), brought the wrong mattress (it was too big for the bed) because they had delivered MY mattress to another customer before they got to me, and then said "Sorry, it will be two weeks before we can get your mattress to you". What - they couldn't have simply gone to the other customer who received the wrong mattress, and swapped them?

My friend ordered a sofa off them last year and it took over TWO MONTHS to arrive.

If I were you OP i'd hire a van and go to IKEA in Belfast.

[offtopic] person for whom it was purchased. When there is no fault with the product, the store is under no obligation to provide a refund [/offtopic]

i wasnt looking for a refund i just wanted to exchange it and was willing to take a cheaper one at a loss to myself and was willing to pay for a dearer one .. and was told because it was a hp (hewlett packard) and they wouldnt take it back (although it was in a resaleable condti:confused)because of a no return policy they had , of which i wasnt told of when buying ... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

When I moved into my house approx 3.5 years ago I got the sofa/suite from Argos.

I saw the suite I liked in Jim Langdons in Liffey Valley, but they were going to take 14 weeks to "custom make" it. I will never step foot in that shop again.

I saw the exact same one in Argos, took 6 weeks to deliver and the 3-2-1 set cost less than the 3-2 sofa set in Jim Langdons.

No problems with quality or delivery to be honest.
    They delivered early, before 9am if I recall, but that suited me just fine cos I had the rest of the day off work.

the hunter wrote: »
    i wasnt looking for a refund i just wanted to exchange it and was willing to take a cheaper one at a loss to myself and was willing to pay for a dearer one .. and was told because it was a hp (hewlett packard) and they wouldnt take it back (although it was in a resaleable condti:confused)because of a no return policy they had , of which i wasnt told of when buying ... :confused:

No refund or exchanges on anything with a memory. You should have been told it at the point of sale, but as I said its on both the catalogue and receipt.

No refund or exchanges on anything with a memory. You should have been told it at the point of sale, but as I said its on both the catalogue and receipt.

i didnt get it out of the catalogue definately wasnt told on point of sale and it doesnt say anything about memory on receipt. i was told in store that because hp were not taking returns that they couldnt change it ...i didnt want to change the camera i just wanted to change the printer ??

There is a * beside the product on the receipt and it below the * states "EXEMPT FROM 16 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE". This is followed by a complete explanation on the back of the receipt. If you didnt read the details about the camera in the catalogue where the same is stated, its your own fault. The company is not at fault because the person cannot use the camera. The camera is not faulty - therefore no refund or exchange. There is also a facility to "see before you buy" at all stores. You could have looked at the camera before you bought it.

yes nightwish i saw that on the receipt AFTER i bought the product do you sit and read all your receipts when you purchase products(very sad life) and no i wasnt told at point of sale and i wasnt told about the "see before you buy" either. and the way it was advertised i assumed it could be used without a p.c. and it never said otherwise on the site . (not even in small print or on the receipt i checked :D)

just out of interest NIGHTWISH you wouldnt happen to work for argos would you ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

the hunter wrote: »
    yes nightwish i saw that on the receipt AFTER i bought the product do you sit and read all your receipts when you purchase products(very sad life) and no i wasnt told at point of sale and i wasnt told about the "see before you buy" either. and the way it was advertised i assumed it could be used without a p.c. and it never said otherwise on the site . (not even in small print or on the receipt i checked :D)
    It does not matter either way as you had absolutely no legal rights as the item was neither faulty nor described incorrectly (I am presuming that it did not actually say that it could be used without a computer and that you just presumed it could) thus you were neither entitled to a refund or exchange.

OP: Call into homebase as suggested earlier if they do sell the same sofas etc.

axer wrote: »
    It does not matter either way as you had absolutely no legal rights as the item was neither faulty nor described incorrectly (I am presuming that it did not actually say that it could be used without a computer and that you just presumed it could) thus you were neither entitled to a refund or exchange.QUOTE]

yeah i assumed it could be used without.. but it never said you need a p.c. either . and i know i wont get a exchange but it was just the manners of the manageress too she just got really snotty which pissed me right off ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 midlander

Dont know if this thread is still active, anyways was wondering about getting an Argos sofa and although the prices are a little bit better than shops in Westmeath there's not a huge difference, reason I was considering it is they have one that would really suit my awkward sitting room layout. I wonder did anyone buy the 'Calabria' modular page 171 of catalog? It looks great but wondered how comfortable it is and do the sections stay together or are they a pain if moving the sofa to hoover etc. (in case I get carried away with the domestics)
    Any feedback would be great.

• Advertisement

Don't know about that sofa but if you drop into homebase out near liffey valley they have a fair few sofa's from Argos on display(same company).

Advertisement