Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working Holiday Canada

• 02-01-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi All

I am hoping that someone can please advise and help me :)

I would love to go and do a year in Canada, possibly Vancouver.

Does anyone know who may help organise this? I guess USIT would be the best place to start looking... I'm not a student if that matters??

Do they provide you with the Visa and a job, I think I read something like this somewhere recently. If they don't help with the work situation how hard would it be to find something

Any help would be great and I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭mcgrate

Hi Dublab,
    Yeah usit do an under 30 visa..I did it a few years back. Highly recommend it. Go into usit or to their website http://canada.usit.ie/
    As far as i remember, its hard to get into the programme. I went on the waiting list and got a call about 3 weeks before heading off.
    Theres a good few threads here about canada - toronto - vancouver etc. Happy reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Do you need to have a Degree? Does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

Hey all,

I moved to Toronto two weeks ago via the USIT under 35s visa, it is not that hard to get at all, the application was open for weeks and weeks online and we toyed with the idea for ages, when we finally applied, it had closed but we were accepted the following day

It is a bit of a racquet as you HAVE to book your flights and insurance through USIT (on top of the fee) but it all moves very quickly

We arrived into Toronto and flew through the immigration procedure, so it is a very painless affair

Best of luck and if you need anything else, just let me know

Oh, you don't need any qualifications, you just need to be under 35 with no criminal record and proof of CAD$1,000 in your account or in cash when you arrive (to prove you won't be a burden) we were not asked to prove this upon arrival though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would you recommend Toronto? I'm very tempted to take a year out after my degree. Ta!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Garthicus wrote: »
    It is a bit of a racquet as you HAVE to book your flights and insurance through USIT (on top of the fee) but it all moves very quickly

You can get the insurance from a different company. It just needs to be the full insurance with €1 million cover and winter sports cover. Try http://accidentgeneral.ie for a saving of €150-200

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xaurax

I have just applied for the under 35 visa and am now on the waiting list. Does anybody know how successful this might be?
    I am hoping to go mid summer and only found out about this visa now.

Garthicus, I see you got it this way!!!! Is is fairly common for places to come about, or were you just lucky, do you know!!!!?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 layladylay

yeah Toronto is a good spot. Very safe, clean deadly nightlife. Not hard to find a job either. only problem is cost of living, but sure wer all used to that from Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

I definetely reccomend toronto, really nice city with great atmosphere & loads to do. Was not working there just on holiday but have thought about working there. Lucky you! would love to get out of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nially123

my friends andI were 2 late to apply for the USIT student programme for Canada, so we found an alternative method through the London Canadian Commission its a bit more complicated, we have a contact in toronto who has sent over letters of employment which are needed but according to the website these need to be backed up with approval from the Canadian Labour Market Service. can any1 shed any light on this as weve tried ringing the canadian embassy but its all recordings and we cant find any1 to talk to?? please help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

hey guys!!
    whats work like to get out in Canada for we'll say a Electrician?? Himself's Bro is thinking of heading over but doesnt know if he'll get work! Would he get an apartment fairly ok ya think?? Know im generalising here but he doesnt know if he wants Toronto or Vancouver yet!!
    Boys eh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jn45672

alright how things, just a quick question.
    I am planning in going to toronto on a working holiday ( looks awsome) in feb or march 2009 for 3 months. Is it hard to locate a job over there, pacifily in construction? How do i go about geeting a job?

Reply much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

Hi, I know this is supposed to be about working holiday visas (and btw I'm completely shocked!! at how usit treat their working holiday visas....should that not be illegal what they're doing?????!!!!! :eek: ) but I'm going to Whistler to train to be a ski instructor, and I'm not sure what to do afterwards, so I've only booked one-way flights. However now I think that I may need proof that I'm leaving the country before they'll let me in? Any thoughts on this one? Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but there's loads of great info in here!

Advertisement