Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside source

Options
  • 02-01-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

The parents just asked me to try and find out some more information regarding a problem we have with a company we bought two fireplaces off.

Two days after the fireplaces were fitted (they were contracted as an outside source by the company who sold us the fireplaces) the floors rose, resulting in paint work, skirting board and all the floors in two rooms now having to be replaced. It is now known thats it was the damness of the concrete used to fit the heart of the fireplace with resulted in the floors rising.

The problem we have is that the company which the fireplaces were bought from aren't accepting responsibility even though it was them who hired the fitters to fit the fireplace. Who is at fault the fitters or the company on who we bought the fireplaces?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your contract was with the company from whom you bought the fireplace. The fact that they outsourced the fitting to a third party is no concern of yours.

Contact the fireplace company, remind them that your contract is with them, and that the services provided are not fit for intended use. This is your legal right under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. There is more detail on this in this thread at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks for the advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

if you paid in one payment to the company for everything ,well then they are 100% responsible -it can get a bit messy if you paid the fitters separately even if company "A" hired them -

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

knighted wrote: »
    if you paid in one payment to the company for everything ,well then they are 100% responsible -it can get a bit messy if you paid the fitters separately even if company "A" hired them -

No there was just one payment to the company for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

No there was just one payment to the company for everything.

Yes the complaint is with the person you contracted to provide the product and service.

That's an interesting one though (sorry i'm sure it's a headache you could do without) but is your case down to negligent work or are you liable for not removing the floor prior to installation of the fireplace? Sounds to me like residual knock on effects of a build to other areas will be hard to prove. I've never seen a fireplace being installed so i'm not sure what the job entails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement