Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Uniform

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Hagar wrote: »
    Gendarmes wear navy blue combat style trousers over magnum type boots, they do not wear military type combat jackets. None of their uniforms are camouflaged. They use several types of jackets typically bomber jackets but also longer length anorak type for colder / wet weather. The guys on bikes wear riding breeches with knee high riding boots. Sometimes ordinary Gendarmes on traffic duty can be seen wearing these boots also.

I've never said they couldn't wear vests I'm just stating that I have never
    seen one being worn in 3 years and I live close to a Gendarmerie.

Technically the Gendarmerie is nor longer under the Military as an organization but paradoxically the Gendarmes themselves are still military personnel. I suppose the individuals have contracts of employment that can't be varied.

I've never seen Police Municipale unarmed in this area but your assessment of their duties as being traffic oriented is accurate, even burglaries are the province of the Gendarmes.

Hagar,
    I was refering more to Italian and Spanish local police when I spoke about guns.

IN regards to uniform, what has camouflage got to do with anything? I said combat gear. SWAT wear combat gear but its black or navy. Heres a picture to try and show the difference between the combat / operational uniform and the formal uniform from the Caribinari (Spelling???) in Italy.

I have a pic, hopefully it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Here's a pic of two Gendarmes wearing overt armour:

Gendarmes.jpg

Here's a pic of the latest Police Nationale uniform, it shows a pic of their covert vest:

policenationale.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nice pics, thanks Cushtac.

I just mentioned that none of the uniforms were camouflaged for the benefit of people who might be misled by the military status of the Gendarmarie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

the garda uniform does look quite cumbersome and restraining, i think the new boots with trousers(not quite military combats) but with function pockets and hard wearing that also allow room to manouver.

as for the shirts, well again the seem impractical and the polo neck idea seems popular here, and i like it too with perhaps a tactical/stab vest over that as standard(vest better fitted than the cheap one size fits all that they have now)

finally the hat, well i think the hat is kinda cool but is probably impractical,having said that i think baseball caps look pretty unprofessional i dont know why, perhaps a beret would be too military-esque. but a beanie would look unprofessional too so for that one i d=say leave it as it is until a better replacement found

btw im not a garda,have never wore a garda uniform nor have i any experience in uniforms, just an opinion from a keen observer:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

shakin wrote: »
    perhaps a tactical/stab vest over that as standard(vest better fitted than the cheap one size fits all that they have now)

The vests are not one size fits all. Each guard was specifically fitted with their own vest. They way the vests are made I suppose allows the member to grow (u know what i mean) over time in the vest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

This may sound stupid, but why are the anti-stab vests worn over the uniform??

If someone trys to stab a Garda, they can see where the Garda is unprotected.

BTW, I am not a Garda.

All the major organs are protected (except the vip male organ:D) so any attempt to attack the torso would have to be deliberate and done with precision. This would take longer to do than a straight forward stab therefore giving the guard a little more time for evasive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

This may sound stupid, but why are the anti-stab vests worn over the uniform??

If someone trys to stab a Garda, they can see where the Garda is unprotected.

BTW, I am not a Garda.

It's cos they're more comfortable worn over the fleece and under the jacket (if worn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

TheNog wrote: »
    The vests are not one size fits all. Each guard was specifically fitted with their own vest. They way the vests are made I suppose allows the member to grow (u know what i mean) over time in the vest

a vest for life? is it hard to get one re-issued?

shakin wrote: »
    a vest for life? is it hard to get one re-issued?

No its not for life. You can get a new one but have to write a report on why you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Personally, i find the uniform grand. People are complaining that teh stab vest is too cumbersome and awkward, but from what i've seen the majority of people who say this are not wearing them properly. If you put it on nice and tight, like they did when you got fitted, they're fine! They do go up when you sit down mind, and i sometimes forget i'm wearing a seatbelt and go to get out of the car...

The pants are grand, professional and comfortable, althrough they can be quite heavy in the hot weather. Shirts seems fine too. Boots (Jolly) are qutie comfortable, but as said above quite heavy also, looking forward to the new ones. Fleece is brilliant, and the patrol jacket is equally as good. And i think the hat should stay the way it is, very professional and obvious (whenever it's worn anyway...)

foinse wrote: »
    It's cos they're more comfortable worn over the fleece and under the jacket (if worn)

I find it terrible under the jacket. They are not designed to be worn under any part of the uniform, its just management being idiots as per usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I find it terrible under the jacket. They are not designed to be worn under any part of the uniform, its just management being idiots as per usual!

Any word on when the Traffic-Corps style hi vis will be issued?

It was directed for issue on November 07 but haven't heard a thing since then.

Any word on when the Traffic-Corps style hi vis will be issued?

It was directed for issue on November 07 but haven't heard a thing since then.

I havent heard anything about it anyway, only ones I have seen are the original trial ones but yeah, a good move and far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Are they issuing the traffic style hi vis to the regular?

Cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

That's the plan. I'm unsure as to the current situation in your division but my division (which shall remain undisclosed ;)) will also be receiving a new full issue of uniform - primarily patrol jacket, fleece, belt, ties, cap and standard hi-vis sometime this year.

It makes sense being that it's around the two year mark (give or take) since we've been issued this 'new' uniform.

They've also stated that the quality of all of these articles will be drastically improved over the first issue.

Hopefully this is also true. The trousers issued with the tunic are second to none and compared to the regular trousers these are excellent.

That said, however.. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll have to wait another two years for all of the above.

Has anyone heard of the system the Ambulance Service uses? From what I've been told it's a points-based system where you're allocated a certain number of points and are required to fill out a form; you can 'order' items of uniform and equipment that you need. For example you could have 500 points and order four pairs of trousers at 100 points each and a formal cap at 100 points.

Very clever and far more efficient as it's done on an annual basis.

/open to correction on all of the above.

We need a connection with someone at Stores..

It's my two cents, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rossi1093

i am with the dfb and we work our uniform issue on a points system. as an ex-garda i have seen how both systems work. the points system works much better. for example if you have 100 points for your yearly issue a tshirt would be 5 points, trousers 5 points, socks 5 points etc etc. it is then up to you how to use your 100 points.
    you can use your points to get items of uniform which you would use more than others. as you are the one wearing the uniform it makes sense that you will know exactly what you need.

rossi1093 wrote: »
    i am with the dfb and we work our uniform issue on a points system. as an ex-garda i have seen how both systems work. the points system works much better. for example if you have 100 points for your yearly issue a tshirt would be 5 points, trousers 5 points, socks 5 points etc etc. it is then up to you how to use your 100 points.
    you can use your points to get items of uniform which you would use more than others. as you are the one wearing the uniform it makes sense that you will know exactly what you need.

The NYPD works on a similar basis except they just have a standard amount and you can spend it how you wish. Far simpler, ours has something to do with tracking uniform items. Heard before it dates back to original days when tthe IRA were stealing uniforms, etc but I dont see why a points / cash allowance system wouldnt work nprovided stores actually had the items in stock which thtey do not.

Are DFB any closer to stab vests? I understood from a few lads that it was being mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rossi1093

the dfb won't be getting stab vests anytime in the near future. the issue came up when a few of the lads got attacked over the last couple of years but they are impractical in relation to the work that we do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement