Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons camera return policy

Options
  • 02-01-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I Purchased a Kodak camera just after Christmas from Dixons in The Jervis ST centre Dublin. Everything was fine, really happy with my purchase. Two days later I notice there was a blue dot (dead pixel) on the LCD screen. I immediately turned off the camera, as I did not want the defect to get any worse. I decided to return the camera for a replacement six days later. I was told by the very unhelpful sales assistance that I can not get the camera fixed, replaced or a refund, so I asked for the manager who told me the same thing. They told me the camera will have to have more than 4 blue dots (dead pixels) to get a replacement. It’s clear to see the camera is defected. I registered my details with Dixons on purchase of the camera for my 1 year warranty and I did not receive any information on this policy. If I was told this before I bought the camera I would not have spent my hard earned cash at Dixons. Are they breaking the law? Am I entitled to a replacement or a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To me, even one single dead pixel makes the camera defective.

Legally, when goods are defective, you are entitled to a repair, refund or replacement, at the shops discretion.

Do they have this '4-pixel' policy written down anywhere?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

DEMAND one of the 3 r's! Dont let them get away with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PaddyWacky

dudara wrote: »
    To me, even one single dead pixel makes the camera defective.

Legally, when goods are defective, you are entitled to a repair, refund or replacement, at the shops discretion.

Do they have this '4-pixel' policy written down anywhere?

I didn't receive any info on this policy when purchasing the camera, and still cant find any info online...PISSED OFF!:mad:

If it was me i would go back in and cause a scene lol but thats just me. check out this site http://www.consumerassociation.ie/ it might give you some ideas on what to do.

Could you try return it in a different dixons?

I gotta return an i touch i got for x mas- they have a christmas return policy if you return goods b4 14th jan you can get a refund. Im not sure what date you have to have bought it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would definitely return to the store, ask to speak to the manager, and politely and insistently look for my refund/replacement/repair under the aforementioned act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

its not a faulty camera, its a faulty lcd.

see here -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

most manufacturers, including sony and their psp, require around 4 dead pixels before a panel is considered faulty, and i believer the consumer association agrees, but do check that with them

seams a bit unfair all the same. If its not considered defective then maybe it comes under their x mas returns policy. depending what date you bought it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never heard of dead pixel policy being applied to digicam screens, and even for large computer or TV displays I'd consider 4 pixels high. For something the size of a camera screen, it's loony toons. Plus as has been pointed out, if the policy isn't stated somewhere clear, it's just simply not a policy that applies to you. The first thing you should do ask for the exact policy, in writing, and find out where they're getting it from. Sounds like makey-uppey local manager bullshít to me.

adam

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

When I was selling ipod videos, I know 1 pixel wasn't grounds for a return, but it does sound a bit off for a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

SDooM wrote: »
    When I was selling ipod videos, I know 1 pixel wasn't grounds for a return, but it does sound a bit off for a camera.
    I agree, 1 pixel is really bad on a small (less than 4" display).
    I would not accept the 3~4 pixel rule for a camera.
    Ok on a 19" display, even then 4 pixels is usually an automatic replacement.

What does the Kodak manual or warranty say about dead or stuck pixels?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Intersting question. On the Kodak site a normal camera has 154,000 pixels. So a 4-pixel return policy covers a screen that has around 0.003 % failure can't be too bad EXCEPT for the fact that it refers to a larger screen where a dead pixel may be less noticeable.

Certainly go and piss the feckers off by arguing with them and presenting whatever info you can googleh and see if they will return but it may need a lot of effort to establish a new benchmark that will work for all of us (rather than a once-off managers solution)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The pixel policy should be in the camera documentation somewhere, ask them to point out where (if you don't have all the documentation, then they can probably check one of the ones in stock or website). If it is 4 pixels like they said (and is written down), then you're stuck with it, otherwise, press for a new one.

Dead/stuck pixels are a common complaint with LCD screen's, but you don't need to worry about it getting "worse", and it may fix itself in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PaddyWacky

Thanks for all your help guys, went back in today and asked for the manager, different one today, much more polite than the girl I had to deal with yesterday. Anyway today I didn't ask for a replacement or a refund, I simply asked for a copy of my contract, warranty and a copy of their faulty camera return policy which I still haven’t receive a copy of yet. The manager said, leave it with me and I will sort it out. So he went of and left me waiting at the counter for at least 15 min, only to come back with a customer service email address for currys.co.uk.
    The Kodak warranty I received with my camera does not mention anything about dead or stuck pixels. I think they are breaking the law; they can’t even supply me with any documentation regarding this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Sorry to be so blunt but...

Does the camera take pictures? Can you then view the pictures, save for one tiny pixel?

Then I would have thought that the product is fit for it's purpose, the sale of goods act only applies when the good is not fit for its purpose.

If Dixons replaced or refunded the camera then they would be left out the value of the camera, which wouldn't be fair on them. It's unlikely they are going to budge on the refund\replacement so you might as well save yourself some embarrassment and just let it go

jahalpin wrote: »
    Sorry to be so blunt but...

Does the camera take pictures? Can you then view the pictures, save for one tiny pixel?

Then I would have thought that the product is fit for it's purpose, the sale of goods act only applies when the good is not fit for its purpose.

If Dixons replaced or refunded the camera then they would be left out the value of the camera, which wouldn't be fair on them. It's unlikely they are going to budge on the refund\replacement so you might as well save yourself some embarrassment and just let it go

This is a pretty accurate assesment, but from a customer care point of view Dixons may be able to RMA the item and exchange it for you over the pixel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

jahalpin wrote: »

True, but the purpose of the product is to take photos. If all of the pixels on the screen were dead wouldn't the product still be fit for it's purpose? You could still take photos but you just couldn't see them.

When isn't it fit for it's purpose?

You could argue that due to one dead pixel, the screen is not fit for it's purpose, or even the individual pixel itself is not fit for it's purpose.

-annex- wrote: »
    True, but the purpose of the product is to take photos. If all of the pixels on the screen were dead wouldn't the product still be fit for it's purpose? You could still take photos but you just couldn't see them.

When isn't it fit for it's purpose?

You could argue that due to one dead pixel, the screen is not fit for it's purpose, or even the individual pixel itself is not fit for it's purpose.

no you couldn't really, as pointed out by several people above... a single dead pixel is considered by alot of businesses (and I dont agree, but its still true) to render a screen unusuable. And Ive never heard of someone going further on it and suceeding. I HAVE heard of people going down the customer care route and winning, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dixons sold you the camera not currys kodak kojak or anyone else, so they are the only people who you can return the camera to!

the issue of the number of pixels dead deciding whether the product is faulty or not is a smokescreen as if even one pixel is dead SO SOON after purchase then this camera clearly is not fit for its purpose
    as it should remain in new condition for a reasonable time after purchase!

although many SHOPKEEPERS try to relieve their customers of their rights!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Get the latest consumer right issue book and off you go back to the shop! Then see what the say...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have heard it was somewhat "official" to say it is acceptable for a number of dead pixels.

If it was me I would physically break the camera and return it for a full refund. Then buy another and break it too if it has a dead pixel. Keep doing this until you get a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You could see what the National Consumer Agency say.

I would have thought the user guide or guarantee details that came with the camera would indicate Kodak's dead-pixel policy. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

rubadub wrote: »
    I have heard it was somewhat "official" to say it is acceptable for a number of dead pixels.

If it was me I would physically break the camera and return it for a full refund. Then buy another and break it too if it has a dead pixel. Keep doing this until you get a good one.

It revolves around 'merchantable quality'. You can find industry standard specs online for LCD tvs and stuff (looked it up a few months ago).. if the screen has more dead pixels than is considered acceptable as an industry standard, then it is not of merchantable quality.. with tvs it is accepted that the manufacturing process results in x dead pixels per x by x size. So I'm guessing somewhere in techie internet space, you'll find the industry standard for a given size of lcd on a camera..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

AFAIK - Any LCD manufacturer will not replace an LCD with under 5 dead pixels.

They have been known to but I believe the problem lies in the lcd manufacturing process.
    It regularly leaves dead pixels so 'they' the manufacturers created an industry standard.

So now any LCD manufactured with 5 dead pixels is deemed to be up to 'industry standards' and hence is off merchandable quality.

Your problem is with Dixons, this is very bad customer service for them as they could probably send it back to the manufacturer no problem. They are probably inside the law but lots of Aholes operate inside the law.

Bad luck, and good luck with your quest.....

egan007 wrote: »
    AFAIK - Any LCD manufacturer will not replace an LCD with under 5 dead pixels.

They have been known to but I believe the problem lies in the lcd manufacturing process.

Your problem is with Dixons, this is very bad customer service for them as they could probably send it back to the manufacturer no problem. They are probably inside the law but lots of Aholes operate inside the law.

Bad luck, and good luck with your quest.....

clearly the contract of sale is not with the manufacturer but with the shop and if there are dead pixels the product is not fit for use as you cant watch a full screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

foggy_lad wrote: »
    clearly the contract of sale is not with the manufacturer but with the shop and if there are dead pixels the product is not fit for use as you cant watch a full screen!

Well what makes an orange sellable is that it is ripe and not rotten. This is called industry standard. The seller - which i clearly outlined is Dixons - is selling goods of industry standard. Whether you think the industry standard is poor or not is irrelevant here.

I'm not definding Dixons - again read my post - i'm just saying that they are 'probably inside the law'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dixons sold you the camera not currys kodak kojak or anyone else, so they are the only people who you can return the camera to!
    dixons, currys and pc world are all the same company. they're called the dixons group
    the issue of the number of pixels dead deciding whether the product is faulty or not is a smokescreen as if even one pixel is dead SO SOON after purchase then this camera clearly is not fit for its purpose
    as it should remain in new condition for a reasonable time after purchase!

although many SHOPKEEPERS try to relieve their customers of their rights!

as people have said, one or two dead pixels are a result of the manufacturing process of LCD screens. It can't be avoided with the current level of technology. An LCD screen is considered legally fit for purpose if it has a certain number of dead pixels. i don't know what the exact figure is but its definitely more than one so no law is being broken here.

edit: have a read of this:
    http://www.lcds4less.com/industry-standards.shtml

dixons, currys and pc world are all the same company. they're called the dixons group.

if you buy from Dixons you return to the same Dixons store not to any other store or to the manufacturer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

foggy_lad, you CAN return to the manufacturer if you so wish

heggie wrote: »
    foggy_lad, you CAN return to the manufacturer if you so wish
    of course you can but this is in addition to your statutory rights. you can also make the retailer provide the after sales they are obliged to have for items covered by your statutory rights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you buy from Dixons you return to the same Dixons store not to any other store or to the manufacturer!

i was just pointing out that giving contact details for currys customer care is valid since they're the same company and almost certainly the same people dealing with it

Advertisement