Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an external antenna with a 3 USB MOdem

Options
  • 02-01-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Brief questionhere but need help. I recently moved house and have no broadband access on DSL or fixed wireless so I bought a 3 Mobile Broadband modem. O2 and Vodafone don't have any 3G coverage where I am - only GPRS speeds when I tried their modems). 3 has coverage outside the house (only 1 bar with speed of about 150K so better than dial up anyway.) but inside the house it will not work. Is there an easy quick antenna system that I could use with the 3 modem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no

You need a different modem of modem with an aerial connector. The PCMCIA and ExpressCard version have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

my friend got usb cable 5ft ,he puts the modem facing the window glass,at rear of house ,gets around 500k/per sec.THE modem should be placed facing the aerial,on a window sill if possible ,depends on how close is the local aerial to you.SO in certain rooms signal will be low or 0. AT the front he gets 150k, he uses s it in room downstairs,laptop near rear house window,using a usb extension cable.BUT theres a 3 aerial in his area, check website coverage map.I,M not gaurantee,ing a usb cable will give you any signal at all.I think you need to be within a mile of aerial to get a strong signal.YOU have an option,bring modem,cd,box,manual back to shop if the signal is bad,or very slow,get a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes

You can use an external antenna but you need to modify the modem slighly - have a look at the antenna input.

You can also get an external antenna here.

Good Luck, Joe

Advertisement