Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero Punctuation vs. Super Mario Galaxy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I can usually find a couple of faults with any game and my personal favorite game of all time is no exception. Gameplay is the most important factor however and Super Mario Galaxy has that in spades. Gameplay should always take precedent in video games. I rate the game very highly even though I would of liked a story with the game, yeah its not really necessary as the game has enough strong points as it is but all the same could of made the game even better. Is it an unwritten rule that Mario or platform games in general don't need a storyline??

I will also criticize the game for not having this ending which I just stumbled across on youtube a minute ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R72dbbtcuO0&feature=related
    Would of made the game way more profound and moving!:( It could of worked!:D

PS. Can't say I had an issue with the Super Mario Galaxy control system at all or the camera angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Maybe I was just spoiled by playing Ratchet & Clank immediately before it which has far more responsive controls and a camera I didn't have as many problems with (though it wasn't perfect either) - I wouldn't necessarily say Ratchet is a better game overall because Mario has far more interesting level design, but the core controls are definitely better.

The main problem I had with Mario's camera, aside from no right stick to pan it around, is the perspective - there were a ton of times I thought I was over a platform in the bee suit but wasn't, or spun attack an enemy I thought was next to me but wasn't actually close enough,. And that led on to the control problem - when you do one spin and want to do a second your left flailing your arm and its never as responsive as you'd like. There were a couple of occasions (mainly with the transparent planets that the camera didn't follow Mario around to the other side) where I didn't know if left was left or right was right and got confusing, but I can forgive that because it was happening when the game was doing things that have never been done in a game before and it was fairly rare.

The issues are nowhere near as bad as, say, the Simpsons game which I played through this week, but it's not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

steviec wrote: »
    The main problem I had with Mario's camera, aside from no right stick to pan it around, is the perspective - there were a ton of times I thought I was over a platform in the bee suit but wasn't, or spun attack an enemy I thought was next to me but wasn't actually close enough,. And that led on to the control problem - when you do one spin and want to do a second your left flailing your arm and its never as responsive as you'd like. There were a couple of occasions (mainly with the transparent planets that the camera didn't follow Mario around to the other side) where I didn't know if left was left or right was right and got confusing, but I can forgive that because it was happening when the game was doing things that have never been done in a game before and it was fairly rare.

I really have to agree with you on the perspective thing, especially when dealing with enemies that damage you when they touch you.

Advertisement