Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car for €10k?

Options
  • 02-01-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

Hello

Another one of those threads - I was hoping you could give me some advice. My girlfriend's buying her first car on a €10k budget (can go over a bit if there's a good reason). Does anyone have suggestions as to what the top 5 would be for her? We want something which is safe and reliable, but also looks good etc. Mostly will be driven around Dublin but also to/from Waterford at the weekends.

Off the top of my head I was thinking:

04 1.2 clio
    04 ford fiesta
    04 peugeot 206
    04 vw polo

any advice? she's 26 and hasn't her full licence yet so thinking around the 1.2L mark engine would be best, TBH I know nothing about this class of car except for the 99 clio I used to drive which I thought was a great little car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't believe in this girlfriends car must be a small hatch business.

Here's a reliable, low mileage, well spec'd, economical, respectable, powerful, insurance friendly motor for your money that will be comfortable on that long weekly jaunt to WD.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=696498
    Not a great little car for the little woman- simply a good car that makes sense. At 26, it probably won't matter too much to her insurance, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since it is her first car and she doesn't have a full licence yet she would probably be better off buying a cheap car rather than spending €10k on one. At least that way if she tips or scrapes the car then it is no big deal.

Then when she passes here test she can go out and buy something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

bazz26 wrote:
    Since it is her first car and doesn't have a full licence yet she would probably be better off buying a cheap car
    Yeah this is true. Better to start out on something cheaper first. I'm glad I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

cantdecide wrote: »

Here's a reliable, low mileage, well spec'd, economical, respectable, powerful, insurance friendly motor for your money that will be comfortable on that long weekly jaunt to WD.

Not a great little car for the little woman- simply a good car that makes sense. At 26, it probably won't matter too much to her insurance, btw.

And it has Winance! It's the new wireless financing craze:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

thanks but she specifically wants a small car ie a hatchback

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Since it is her first car and she doesn't have a full licence yet she would probably be better off buying a cheap car rather than spending €10k on one. At least that way if she tips or scrapes the car then it is no big deal.

Then when she passes here test she can go out and buy something decent.

I see your point but she earns €60kpa and has the €10k saved so can well afford a decent 1st car so that's what she wants to spend, if it were up to me she'd be getting a 04 mark V golf for about €17k but she doesn't want to go that expensive

what do you think of my choices ie the clio etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

none of them. I've never driven the M/N11 but I'd say a 1.2 wouldn't be the best idea with some of the roads closer to Waterford in particular (based on the N24 anyway). If you're advising her to get one of the listed cars or a Fabia instead of a Polo make sure and get the 1.4 for the trip to Waterford.

However this is the same size region as those and will probably appeal more to her -> Mini .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've never driven the M/N11
    N9 is the Waterford road and it's crap from the end of the M9 at Kilcullen, Co Kildare, as far as the train station in Waterford City. An insult to the people of Waterford at this stage.

Anyhow, a fast car wouldn't be needed as there are sooo few overtaking opportunities on that road. It's probably the worst city-to-city road in the country.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Anyhow, a fast car wouldn't be needed as there are sooo few overtaking opportunities on that road. It's probably the worst city-to-city road in the country.
    Try the N24 in silage season in a 1.0l Corsa. The Glen of Aherlow is particularly painful if you get stuck behind a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Clio is not a bad car and you very rarely hear of any nightmare stories about them.

Out of the bunch you listed my choice would be the Ford Fiesta but avoid the basic LX spec and the old 1.3 engine as it is ancient. I would also add the Skoda Fabia and Toyota Yaris to the list.

BTW without going off topic, €17k for a 4 year old Golf is silly money for what is a very average car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

What about a KIA or a Hyundai? Very reliable and very good value for the money too. The Clio is probably the only Renault worth considering tbh.

If it isn't too nosy. What does your GF do that she nets 60k age 26?

I recently got a lift in a 1.2 06 Seat Ibiza, and I was really surprised at how nippy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You'd probably pick up a Ford Fusion as cheap as a Fiesta now - higher ride height than the Fiesta gives a better driving position - more space in the boot and it's lower so handy for bunging in the odd bag of coal!
    The 1.4 diesel is an absolute miser - wife has one and OK it won't win any rallies but it's reliable and comfortable to drive - she test drove the Fiesta too and much preferred the Fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

thanks but she specifically wants a small car ie a hatchback

But ask yourself why before you buy?

Fiestas/ clios are not suitable for her usage. There's a million cars for a million budgets for a milion purpouses but it's a long standing tradition that the women folk automatically get the little cars even if they commute to the moon and back for a perceived economy and practicality. All you have to do is chose the correct option for your budget. You wouldn't live in a well appointed shed so why go second class on the car cos she's a chick??

The fact is, I wouldn't have my significant other buy a small car like that, especially if she did long uncomfoetable trips on poor and dangerous roads.

Don't fall for the old cliches, be objective and get her a proper car, not a woman's car.

That's the 2 cents I usually give for these questions (and the rest will be well bored of hearing it).

The fact is, I wouldn't have my significant other buy a small car like that, especially if she did long uncomfoetable trips on poor and dangerous roads.

Don't fall for the old cliches, be objective and get her a proper car, not a woman's car.

That's the 2 cents I usually give for these questions (and the rest will be well bored of hearing it).

....and agreeing with it. He's right!!!

For the roads she'll be doing she should buy something in the Mondeo/Passat range. Maybe even a 1.6 Focus.

The best thing she can do is NOT learn in a small car. people who learn in small cars (particularly women) get into a comfort zone and it's just not safe sometimes. The size of the car is irellevant. It's the skill of the driver that counts and learners don't get any worse for having a bigger car. I've a friend (who gets a lot of slagging) because she's 20 and driven an Octavia estate since she was 17. If anything it'll make her a slightly more aware driver to drive a big car.

If I was on that money which I won't be til I'm 36 never mind 26 I'd have something like this

Her insurance shouldn't be mad with Quinn or Britton, but shop a bit.

Hey everyone thanks a million for the replies.

junkyard and bazz26 - a few years ago i drove a 99 1.2 clio and absolutely loved it and having checked out a few 04/05 ones on carzone i think they look great, especially in black and seem well spec'd for the money
    Moonbaby - we're both qualified accountants
    Cantdecide - you've misinterpreted my post, I'm not picking the car for her she's well capable of doing that herself she just needed some pointers. I'd much prefer her in a bigger safer car as I don't trust many of the idiots on the road between here and waterford however she wants a small car so that's what she will have, ive argued your point with her but she aint having any of it she wants to learn in a hatchback - it's only gonna be for 2 years anyway and trip to waterford should just be once a month
    ninty9er - I've referred her to Glennons as they offer a 20% discount for qualified ACAs, mine's dirt cheap so hers hopefully wont be too bad, they must think accountants really are boring and drive accordingly :)

thanks for everyone's prompt replies, much appreciated

What about a Renault Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

She would be better off buying a 2k car does she have to borrow the 10k or has she the cash ready? even if she has the cash she would still be better off starting with a 2k car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

My girlfriend bought a Fiat punto as her first car for exactly the same reasons, but very soon found that if you are doing any travelling at all it was too small(she usually took my nissan sunny to work with her while I was stuck with the punto), Nobody stays a learner for too long and as your confidence grows you will naturally start taking risks like overtaking, the punto couldnt overtake anything and generally she ended up sitting behind lorries, vans and tractors getting very frustrated also because she was in a small car on the open road she often got bullied by drivers in bigger cars that did'nt want to get stuck behind her(even if she was driving at the speed limit).My advice would be to take a step up to something bigger but still a hatch back, golf, skoda fabia, astra, focus etc. with a 1.4L engine min, I used to drive from Boyle to waterford every week and you quickly learn that a bigger car is easier to drive on country roads, less roll, better suspension, better steering, better road holding in the wet, more creature comforts, more power, better brakes, more safety features etc.etc. hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement