Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premium SMS text charging. Fools guide

• 02-01-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. If one wanted to set up a service which they wanted people to pay for by SMS............how does it work?
    The idea being that someone sends me a text and they get billed €2, for example.

I know I need a 5XXXX number, but really need to know the "fool's guide" to getting it, best provider and costs associated etc. etc.

Yours in ignorance:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how about you dont and there'd be one less rip off subscription service in the world?

or back on topic call either comreg or regtel and see exactly what you need to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

What's your problem?
    Who mentioned ripoff and who mentioned subscription? I asked about a system whereby a service could be paid for by SMS, just as some people pay via PayPal, CC etc. I asked in the hope that someone could explain the process in basic English.
    Do you trawl the posts advising people to call regulators or service providers everytime they post a query?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no but one call to either regulator will tell you exactly what you need to do,rather than relying on info being given to you on a message boards or just try either of their websites www.regtel.ie or www.comreg.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The costs are significant. A dedicated 5 digit number costs €6000 to set up plus monthly fees of €300. That's on top of per message charges. Shared numbers (using keywords) are cheaper though. You'd need to be doing sometnhing nationally to at least break even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

As jimmycrackcorm says, a shared number using keywords is a lot cheaper. Have a quick look here to give you some ideas. http://www.esendex.com/ie/Prices-Premium-Rate-SMS-prices-ROI-Tariff.aspx I used this company for sending sms messages from PC's for alarms etc and their support and email contact is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

jimmycrackcorm and whisht, many thanks. The esendex site makes it clearer than some of the other ones I had come across.

Advertisement