Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand loading - What's happened to it?

Options
  • 02-01-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

There were such high hopes, now I hear nothing about it? I'm sure most of us hunters and target shooters would be eager to know if it's coming in or staying out in the cold with all the other civilised world benefits (such as readily available broadband).

Can anyone shed any light?

Viva la Banana Republic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

johngalway wrote: »
    There were such high hopes, now I hear nothing about it? I'm sure most of us hunters and target shooters would be eager to know if it's coming in or staying out in the cold with all the other civilised world benefits (such as readily available broadband).

Can anyone shed any light?

Viva la Banana Republic.

You will be aware that the Firearms Amendments contained in the Criminal Justice Act of 2006 allows for the certification of an individual to handload however as per the PQ response in April the section is not yet commenced.

"As the Deputy may be aware, the Criminal Justice Act 2006 was signed into law by the President on the 16th July 2006. All sections of that Act relating to firearms have been commenced other than the following sections :

- 28 (Firearms training certificate)
    - 30 (Application for, and form and effect of firearm certificates)
    - 32 (Conditions of grant of firearms certificate)
    - 33 (Authorisation of rifle or pistol clubs or shooting ranges)
    - 38 (Registered Firearms Dealers), and
    - 40 (Reloading of ammunition)."

We (FLAG) met with the Department of Justice on this matter in April 2007 and significant correspondnce was generated, issues relating to liability and competency seemed to be the biggest stumbling blocks.

Correspndence has continued on the matter and we did get a commitment that there would be a pilot launch of reloading to see if there would be any significant issues arising.

One point of caution to anyone presently importing components who feel that they are covered der their certificate for components should take note of a paragraph contained in correspondence received on the matter from Justice:

"Furthermore, whereas, Section 26 of the CJA 2006 provides a definition for ammunition which includes ‘any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition’ Section 56 of the CJA (which has been commenced and which, in effect, allows for the exemption of firearm certificate holders from the importation requirements of ammunition or firearms) specifically states that component parts of ammunition does not come under the latter. My understanding of this is that, in effect, it means that component parts of ammunition are still subject to importation requirements."

While significant progress was being made towards a pilot reloading scheme, the events of October have overtaken us and with the formation of the Firearms Consultative Panel, FLAG no longer meets with the DOJ.

I would direct further questions on progress to Mr Declan Cahill of the SSAI who currently sits on on the FCP representing the SSAI. Questions with respect to the current situaton can be directed to the SSAI through the following link.

http://shootingsportsireland.com/_wsn/page5.html

There will also be an opportunity to receive an update on progress at the AGM of the SSAI which will be held in Abbeyleix on 17th Januay.

Happy New Year
    Safe Shooting
    Declan Keogh
    Chairman
    Firearms Consulative Advisory Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks for your reply DJKH. I had expected a bit more discussion on this post and intended to come back to it again, it did however slip my mind.

Thanks for your reply DJKH. I had expected a bit more discussion on this post and intended to come back to it again, it did however slip my mind.

Your Welcome, any groundbreaking news I will come back to you.

We should however be hearing the latest report from the SSAI rep at the Firearms Consultitive Panel meetings with the SSAI AGM this Thursday Night in Abbeyleix.............I can't wait!

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I can't make meeting. Will you be posting details here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hopefully it'll be good news. I'm yet again out of my usual cartridge. It would be awfully handy to be able make my own to suit my rifle for a raft of reasons instead of travelling the length of the country to get them. I look forward to the update.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it'll be good news. I'm yet again out of my usual cartridge. It would be awfully handy to be able make my own to suit my rifle for a raft of reasons instead of travelling the length of the country to get them. I look forward to the update.

Unfortunately the SSAI AGM has been deferred, I received the following notificaton from the Irish Sport Council today:

"In relation to the SSAI AGM, scheduled to take place on 17th January 2008. The Chairman of the SSAI has informed me that the SSAI AGM has been defered based on input received from the Federated Associations over the last couple of weeks. The actual date of the rescheduled AGM will be confirmed at next SSAI committee meeting.

The SSAI will revert back to me once the next committee meeting takes place."

So it looks like we will all have to wait for the update from the committee on the Firearms Consultative Panel, the third meeting of the Panel took place last week, anyone know what happened!

Regards
    Declan
    FLAG

Advertisement