Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dobie has cut one of his pads again.

• 02-01-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Here we go again - pad on left front paw cut so its back to the same long recovery process. :(

I am looking for a recommendation for a dog boot suitable for a Doberman that will hopefully be resistant to attempts by the dog to pull off and will aid rapid recovery. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Trawl the internet for online shops for sleddog / mushers sites ...you should find something suitable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

My staffie cut a bit of her paw pad before,she never limped so it was only when i was given her a rub i noticed it and as she didnt seem to feel pain from standing on it and me puttin pressure on it,i left her and it heeled up itself,not a bother. Is your dobi limping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Good luck finding a dobe proof boot!Sled dog ones are the best no question but a degree of cooperation from the dog is essential to it's usefulness.
    I had a bitch who had a severly gashed pad once(smaller cuts aren't worth bandaging) and in an attempt to keep the bandage on her the vet strapped it with 'vet wrap',you know the stick to itself stuff?
    This took the bitch some time and determination to remove but remove it she did.In the process she ripped the gash to double its size and ended up having to have an operation to stitch it and a victorian collar-plus a course a HUGE vet bill for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

she didnt seem to feel pain

Seems to be part of the breeds make up. I took in an injured Staffie (scumbags were using her for fights) She had bad injurys, but never yelped or whinged. She would flinch a little if bathing the wounds really really hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

We found with the Moo (Great Dane) that pad cuts were best left alone to heal. The last one took a few weeks (initially the vet stitched it but she kept removing the stiches) so I kept a close eye on it and used corn flour to aid clotting in the beginning.

(Have you had a cut on the tip of the ear yet? Now that's a fecker!)

Dog booties, vet wrap, buster collars, crate rest - you name it, we tried it. She was determined to get at that cut though and let nothing stand in her way. You have my sympathies on this one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Ears bleed THE WORST!!!And when I repainted the kitchen ceiling -even after having scrubbed it-it took FOUR coats to cover the stains...Blooming danes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

lightening wrote: »
    Seems to be part of the breeds make up. I took in an injured Staffie (scumbags were using her for fights) She had bad injurys, but never yelped or whinged. She would flinch a little if bathing the wounds really really hurt.
    I do no that seen as i own 3 staffordshire,my point being that there sometimes better left to heal themselves once its not serious. She never flinched when i touched it,thats how i new she would be fine and it wasnt part of her breeds make up. Nice to see people looking out for staffies,to many thugs have them to show off to there mates! Anyway i hope you an come to some solution for your Dobi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

how did the dog cut their foot?

i'll never forget when i was about 7 and we wre getting double glazed windows our poor collie cut her foot on the smashed glass in the garden and lost so much blood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

http://www.obtrack.com/eu/eu_muttluks.html?gclid=CMz7uqLZ2pACFQtGQwod1SXfWQ

I found these boots good. My ridgeback has problems with his pads on his hind legs so I got a pair for him. He looks hilarious wearing them but they work.
    Annika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I just spent €10 on a laced boot which I even taped over with bandage plaster. It lasted about 6 minutes as the other dogs fought with each other to see who would be first to pull it off him. :rolleyes:

I can't understand why most dog boots are shaped as if the dog walks around on its tow tips ballerina style. If the shoe was shaped to fit the foot more snugly it would be harder to get off.

I have just resigned myself now to leave it heal naturally and just complete the course of anti-biotics. :rolleyes:

Thanks Annika for the link but they just love the crackle of velcro so I am sure those fasteners would not last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Wash the cut, and then use good honey on it. Works atreat as long as you make sure for 10-15 min that the dog wont lick it off :D.

Advertisement