Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caliber change

Options
  • 02-01-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

while i understand at this satge that the powers that be are well thick for the most part with regards to calibers, would it be possible for me to go from .17hmr to .204 or alternatively would it be easier to get a .17 rem, being they are nominally equal and thats how the system works!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

As has been discussed many, many times .... calibre change can be authorised by a modification on your licence by your firearms officer. I'm assuming you are trading in / swapping your current firearm to a firearms dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think you might have to reapply as the fuzz view it as an increase in calibre if you go from .17 hmr to .204. It should be a straight swap on the license from 17 Hmr to 17 rem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Folks, can I ask that we all go easy on the derogatory terms for the people tasked with administering the licensing aspects of the firearms legislation, the Gardai?
    While most of us here are shooting enthusiasts and have accumulated considerable knowledge on the subject, dealing with firearms and shooting is only a very small part of the duties of the Gardai for which we are led to believe, they receive little or no training.
    We tend to hear about the 'hard' cases of the occasional obstinate/incompetent Garda (or more usually, Superintendent) that some shooters unfortunately meet up with, but the vast majority of shooters in Ireland have a good relationship with their local Gardai.

The whole ".220 inch calibre = .22 airgun = .22LR = .22 Hornet = .220 Swift" thing (and others, like .17HMR = .17 Rem) is a legacy of poorly drafted legislation and the administration that sprang from it, so it's unfair to blame the Gardai for that particular mess.

Newby: depending on your local Gardai/Superintendent, you may be able to have your .17 license amended to .204, or you may not. The only way to know for sure is to ask; having an informal chat with whoever usually deals with Firearms Certificates in your local station mightn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

rovi wasnt having a dig at the gardai, i know what little firearms training they get, i was just stating a fact about the system we are dealing with!!

true what you say id be better off havin a chat with my fao!!

im not sure what i want to do im still researching costs, rifles, ammuntion etc etc to see what best suits me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It all depends on the gardai in question and their way of thinking my friend went from 22 magnum to 223 stroke of a pen. (Local sargent is a shooting man) I know a guy in another district that had to re apply, but was told there would be no problem it's still .22 again a shooting man but theoretically a change of caliber none the less.

Once you can justify the need there should be no hassle, Talk to the man
    There is a lot of 223 licenced out their, it is by far the most popular fox round. Biggest problem I see is that we are spoilt for choice:
    17 rem (costly bullets)
    204 ruger (costly bullets, but other good advantages)
    222 (accurate and a pleasure to hand load, a fox caliber of choice for years)
    223 (well this has been debated to death)
    220 swift (an animal of a round costly bullets, good long range round)

I still go out with my 22 magnum and still kill foxes (2 on Tuesday night all 100yrds), I call them in. I go home and say to myself why do I want to spend more money on a rifle that is doing the job......

Yet I'm still leaning towards 222 or 204, as handloading could be the way of the future and these two rate highly in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

When i decided to trade in my 220 swift for a 243 i got my deer cert
    sorted, so then i phoned the fao and told him i wanted to give up the swift for a 243- he said " hold on to i check my guidelines " he then came
    back on the phone and said no problem you can have anything up to .25
    calibre on that permit anything above .25 is a new application, so 5 mins
    later i stepped into the sanctum of the local constabulary and with the swift stroke of a pen was on my way to pick up the 243-he did not want to see nor was he interested in my deer hunting cert. a mate of mine rang
    me today to tell me that his 308 permit was through,he also has a 22-250 and 243,the 308 being his 3rd rifle. so there are guidelines out there ,its just uneven application of the law.icon6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thats interesting and good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

" hold on to i check my guidelines " he then came
    back on the phone and said no problem you can have anything up to .25
    calibre on that permit anything above .25 is a new application, .icon6.gif

Again, Depends where you live!!!

Advertisement