Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock nuts?

Options
  • 02-01-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Yo,

Has anyone ever had a set of alloys stolen with lock nuts on? Just wondering how effective these things are at deterring scum/low lives from nicking your beloved alloys??

I park my car against a wall so if they wanted to steal mine they could only get 2 max but chances are they would only cop this after they have already ripped the other 2 off..

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres 30 different lock nuts for Ford and i suppose other motor companys are the same. There just cheap insurance but make sure you dont lose the lock nut key!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

they wont put everyone off trying but they give you a little more time to catch them., locknuts are pretty easy to remove with a socket set, you just find one that nearly fits the lock nut and hammer it on. the handy thing is that you should hear them hammering at your wheels and catch them in the act. olso only use quality ones that are made from proper metal. some of them can fall apart and be a bastid to remove even with the key. It might be a good idea to try some of those anodised ones instead of silver as they will see them easier and it might put them off trying.,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your alloy wheels are valuable enough to a thief then they will most probably find a way to get them. On the other hand having lock nuts on will make them that much more difficult to take.

Opportunits of course will go for the easier car that doesn't have them fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Having two different sets fitted per wheel also helps in the event that the wouldbe thief gets his hands on the lock nut key. Just make sure you keep the key safe but handy in the event of a puncture. You would be surprised how many people simply leave them in the glove box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its not reccomended to use more than one lock nut on each wheel as the lock nuts arnt supposed to be torqued up as high as the proper wheel nuts and their metal isnt usually made as strong as regular nuts.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

vtec wrote: »
    its not reccomended to use more than one lock nut on each wheel as the lock nuts arnt supposed to be torqued up as high as the proper wheel nuts and their metal isnt usually made as strong as regular nuts.,
    147nm for standered nut and 110nm for lock nut.
    are you sure people can hammer them off?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Their a deterrent, not a guarantee. Your better off with them on your alloys, but if someone wants your wheels bad enough, they'll be able to get them off with enough time.

I bought a set from japan a few years ago, all 20 nuts are lock nuts, i've used them on the last 3 cars and they are very strong.
    Just about make them out in this pic
    P1010004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As per Senna, its a deterrent

It might make a random scumbag move on in the search for a target but if someone really wants your particular wheels they'll do it:mad:

Its the same for any security measures really, be it on your car or home or whatever..all you can do is hope to make scumbags think its not worth it and move on.

Advertisement