Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaas

• 03-01-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

Does anybody know how to make blaas - the Waterford blaa that is..? And if so, can they be cooked in a conventional oven? Am desperate to find out the recipe and method and try to bake a batch myself.

Would love one right now, a warm one with an inch of butter melting into it, and a cup of tea. Bliss.

CF

Comments

What is blaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

lived in waterford for a few years...blaas and tayto...heaven on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

Hi all

Does anybody know how to make blaas - the Waterford blaa that is..? And if so, can they be cooked in a conventional oven? Am desperate to find out the recipe and method and try to bake a batch myself.

Would love one right now, a warm one with an inch of butter melting into it, and a cup of tea. Bliss.

CF

WEIRD was only thinking about the same question this morning
    "is there a recpie for the blaa?"

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Hi all

CF
    Hello,
    Did you find a recipe? Can you share it?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Coincidentally, I was scouring the internet a few weeks ago for this recipe, but couldn't find one anywhere. It doesn't help the name is frequently misspelled. Anyway, I remember Superquinn used to sell them, so can say they're similar enough to a scotch bap, i.e. a soft, tender crumb, with flour dredged on top.
    There are two good recipes for scotch baps here and here. You can even rub some butter (about 50g) into the flour before adding the liquid to enrich and tenderise it further. If you want a similar shape to a blaa, put each dough ball about 1" apart into a square tray to proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

As an ex-pat of beloved Waterford, I can offer that the scotch bap is not a blaa. I made, I tasted, they are definitely not the same. Also, there are two types of blaa, soft and crusty.

I would really love a recipe for the soft blaa, as I have not found one to match as yet. Any bakers of Waterford willing to divulge the secrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I think you add milk to the dough instead of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I've asked a baker for their recipe for the Waterford Blaa. For the soft type, it's baked without moisture/steam, as this forms a crust. For a crust, put some boiling water in a pan at the bottom of the oven prior to baking. This recipe is for the authentic blah, the picture on the wikipedia entry is for a mass-produced, fast blaa, which I don't have the recipe for.

Waterford Blaa (yields 8)

Ingredients
    500g baker's flour, plus extra for dredging
    10g salt
    10g butter
    20g fresh yeast
    10g sugar
    275g water, tepid

Method
    1. Sieve dry ingredients.
    2. Rub butter and dry mixture together.
    3. Dissolve yeast and sugar into water.
    4. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
    5. Proof for 45mins. Knock back. Rest for 15mins.*
    6. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
    7. Rest 5mins, covered.*
    8. Roll out to an oval shape. You can also flatten them slightly, or place the balls side by side in a square baking dish to proof. Dredge with flour.
    9. Final proofing for 50mins. Dredge with a little extra flour.
    10. Bake for 15-20mins at 210c.

*The short rest times gives the gluten time to relax, making shaping easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I really can't thank you enough Magic Monkey, I can't wait to make these! Hurrah!

• Advertisement
Advertisement