Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook 2003 issue with xls files

• 03-01-2008 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Guys,

I seem to be having an issue with some of my emails that have xls attachments - some of them are looking like acsi code when i open them - can anyone please advise how i can view there emails with the attachments attached?

Thanks is advance,

Jo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have you got an anti spam or anti virus running? It sounds like you do, and it has blocked these type of files being attached. You need to exclude them from the block list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Hal1 wrote: »
    Have you got an anti spam or anti virus running? It sounds like you do, and it has blocked these type of files being attached. You need to exclude them from the block list.

hi - i dont think its the anti spam or anti virus - however i have disabled and will let you know - thanks for the feedback...

jo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't think it's an issue with your Outlook but rather with the system itself. Looks like the file association for that file is pointing to the wrong type of program. Right click and select open with, then select MS Excel and make sure that 'always open this type of file with this program' checkbox...

Achilles wrote: »
    I don't think it's an issue with your Outlook but rather with the system itself. Looks like the file association for that file is pointing to the wrong type of program. Right click and select open with, then select MS Excel and make sure that 'always open this type of file with this program' checkbox...

Nope its not the file association and i dont think its the antivirus ... really weird i see that some of my older mails have xls file attached and work fine - this is really bugging me - maybe it is the way they are attached when sent???

Here is an example of how things are coming in (i have stared out sensitive information):-

Return-Path: <lisa@***.**[/code]>
    Delivered-To: jo@**.**
    Received: (qmail 27802 invoked by uid 399); 2 Jan 2008 10:09:55 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO postie1.hosting365.ie) (82.195.128.***)
    by mail-node1.hosting365.ie with ESMTP; 2 Jan 2008 10:09:55 -0000
    Received-SPF: none (mail-node1.hosting365.ie: domain at **.** does not designate permitted sender hosts)
    identity=mailfrom; client-ip=82.195.128.***;
    envelope-from=<lisa@**.**>;
    Received: from mail04.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net (mail04.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.118.**])
    by postie1.hosting365.ie (Postfix) with SMTP id D41E6A3FA5EA2
    for <jo@**.**>; Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:09:49 +0000 (GMT)
    Received: (qmail 16242 messnum 5312906 invoked from network[62.77.162.***/62-77-162-***.customer.eircom.net]); 2 Jan 2008 10:09:41 -0000
    Received: from 62-77-162-***.customer.eircom.net (HELO ***.ie) (62.77.162.225)
    by mail04.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net (qp 16242) with SMTP; 2 Jan 2008 10:09:41 -0000
    Subject: "The Future of Dublin" Imagine Dublin 2020 - before it's too late
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/related;
    boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C84D23.1A3C3A3E";
    type="multipart/alternative"
    Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:37:32 -0000
    Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5
    Message-ID: <4A5FA37142191B43BC989C89AB38531FB01775@mainserver.******.local>
    X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    Thread-Topic: "The Future of Dublin" Imagine Dublin 2020 - before it's too late
    Thread-Index: AchBYW2TYCaDYYqjSLGXVOHz3zJfygAAjhSAAGw0GfAAKoQKUAAJyl2wAk9PC8A=
    To: undisclosed-recipients:;

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

• Advertisement

_=_NextPart_001_01C84D23.1A3C3A3E
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C84D23.1A3C3A3E"

_=_NextPart_002_01C84D23.1A3C3A3E
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=20
    =20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

"The Future of Dublin" Imagine Dublin 2020 - before it's too late

Date: ***

Venue: ***

Time: ***

Cost: EUR45 per person=20

=20

"Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the =
    future".
    Charles F. Kettering (1876 - 1958)

=20

Seminar speakers include:

Marc Coleman is Economics Editor of Newstalk 106-108 fm and a columnist =
    with the Sunday Independent.=20

Professor John S. Ratcliffe - Chairman of the Futures Academy; Director =
    of the Faculty of the Built Environment=20

Brian Hughes - Lecturer in Urban Economics, Department of Real Estate =
    and Construction Economics=20

Conor Skehan - Head of the Department of Environmental Planning & =
    Management; Fellow of the Futures Academy=20

Henk van der Kamp - Head of the School of Spatial Planning=20

=20

=20

To book a place at this seminar please contact Ciara Duncan =
    ciara@***.**

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

Anyone ... please its driving me nuts!!! Could it have somthing to do with a html setting somewhere in Outlook?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

save the attachment to the desktop
    does it open in excel ?

if not , right clich on it and choose to open in excel , and tick the box to always do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

save the attachment to the desktop
    does it open in excel ?

if not , right clich on it and choose to open in excel , and tick the box to always do so
    He just said it wasn't a problem with file associations! OP, these aren't newer Office 2007 files by any chance are they? If so then the file type and format would be too new to be able to be read properly in Outlook 2003 unless they're being saved in 2003 format or compatibility mode.

Guys - i cant even see an attachment - the attachment looks like this...

AAj+AIsIHEiwoMGDCBMqXMiwocOHECNKnEixosWLGDNq3Mixo8ePIEOKHEmypMmTIHOUCIFCxwoU
    K3rs+BEEpc2BNBYMQNBhAoEBE05IcDDhxo4bQYTcJEmjwQAHICQQKHDhQ4ICBCqMcLBAwoogPpaC
    DEJiQwkaKzZsMOFCAgIDG0QkMFBgQQkPDkTIEMtRBwcJJXSYuLCBBo8UIka42LHh7YKyBgwEuKAD
    xg6+F1kkAOCghAQABVg6QOBAxg4TJUiYwCFiQIECEFBcMBBhRFjMEhkDvjFiwYOXBwAcKJHCgQEE
    IorYQDFCwoUUFwogGGBAxosbuB+6uKDhaAkMLHz+

Just loads and loads of code - obviously the attachment has been brought to a code level and is not being received as an file....

...please help....

• Advertisement

This may be a solution for you here. It's the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats. I seen this problem a while ago, but forgot about the fix until now.

Ill give it a go - Cheers HAL1 - will let you know how i get on... :D

Unfortunately...no joy - its still happening.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

jo.king wrote: »
    Unfortunately...no joy - its still happening.... :(

Morning,
    What happens if you send yourself an excel attachment? Silly question but have you tried and what happens?

Do you have a Yahoo / or gmail account get the sender of the problem e-mail to send the same thing to your web mail account. Can you open the file now?

It's been asked already but I can't see an actual answer. What version of Office are you using? What version of Office is the sender using? I've had the very same prob with files created in 2007 and I've only got Office 2000. Sender must save files in your version before sending.

If you're happy it's not a version prob and can receive and open the files OK via web mail, here are two other suggestions for you..

(1) Fully deinstall and reinstall your Office suite and try again.

or if (1) fails try

(2) Download Mozilla Thunderbird as your mail tool and see if this makes any difference. It will allow you import contacts etc. I've been using Thunderbird for 12mths + with no probs, but it doesn't solve any Office version probs if they happen.

Hope this is some help. Let me know.

You could try repairing your version of Office, in office 2003 you open any application then click help and detect and repair. This might ask for the office cd.

In office 2007 you access this in the start menu>programs>ms office> ms office diagnostics, just let it run and it will tell you if there's any problems.

Advertisement