Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keeps jumping in 1st gear?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

This happened to me twice tonight, I was going really slow so I could park, I had my foot down on the brake and the car started shaking and on one occasion eventually cut out! Now it will shake if I am going too slow for that gear but I had it in 1st? The only way I could get it not to shake was to either use the clutch or speed up, I would be happy to use the clutch but isn't this coasting because I wasnt actually stopping? I was in a car park at the time looking for a space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're going slower than the car can cope with in any gear, even firtst, it will do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_control - its not coasting. Its also not very good for your clutch if done for extended periods, the best advise is "park further away from the shop" in that case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Thanks for that MYOB, I was afriad I was coasting and starting a bad habit!

It cut out today at a junction on a back road, I was turning sharply at a very slow speed and it just stopped and every time I started it again it cut out again! Then it wouldn't start, eventually after a few choice words from me it started again. Not nice, especially cos a couple of chancers kept driving around the front of me rather than let me go. I was there for a couple of minutes and luckily everyone behind me was fine, was expecting the usual undertaking, beeping etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My old Clio used to jump in 1st gear too which was a problem when crawling in bumper to bumper traffic. Since I got my new(er) car, I've never had that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Is it true that this "jumping" is much more likely in diesel cars?

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Is it true that this "jumping" is much more likely in diesel cars?

Shouldn't be... I've found its much harder to stall some diesel cars than their petrol equivalents but that was due to higher torque in those individual setups; not being able to stall it would make the jumping worse I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This brings up an interesting question; obviously in 1st or 2nd, dipping the clutch to avoid a stall is warranted since speeds are relatively low and it's usually used in combination with the footbrake....at what point does coasting become coasting? Is there a certain speed or gear?
    Test in a couple of weeks and I'm confident of my clutch control in slow moving traffic or for parking manouveurs...but would hate to be failed by an overzealous intructor for a coasting fault.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

well if what I am doing is coasting then I am between a rock and a hard place, whoever is testing me, if they don't like coasting, will hopefully enjoy a dose of the shakes!!!

LuckyStar wrote: »
    well if what I am doing is coasting then I am between a rock and a hard place, whoever is testing me, if they don't like coasting, will hopefully enjoy a dose of the shakes!!!

Clutch control isn't coasting, causing the car to judder could get a (low category) fault recorded. Coasting would be putting the clutch down and holding it down when coming to lights from, say, 4th (and I know plenty of people who do this), or declutching fully through corners (been in a taxi with a driver who did this even).

If you're lucky there won't be any times you need to do clutch control on the test, but if there is the tester should easily be able to tell what is and isn't coasting.

Anyway, you have a relatively low power small Fiat - in these in low speeds it is VERY apparent when someone has the clutch down or up to anyone else in the car, at least with the recent transmissions... what age is it?

Advertisement