Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox 360 "Ultimate" in Autumn 2008

• 03-01-2008 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Rumours of an 80gb X360 floating around but this might be worth waiting for :)
    Big in 2008 - Xbox 360 Ultimate?

According to Stuff Magazine, a rumored Xbox 360 Ultimate SKU is set to hit in Autumn 2008. This 'PS3 killer' will benefit from three years of Xbox development, featuring 1080p HDMI output, built in WiFi, hi-def audio output, cooler architecture and a near silent fan. It'll also have a built in HD-DVD drive and take advantage of IPTV services with a 320GB hard disk.
    This PS3-killer will benefit from almost three years of Xbox development, featuring 1080p HDMI output, built-in Wi-Fi, hi-def audio output, cooler 65nm hardware architecture and a near-silent fan.

It’ll also have the ability to make the most of the by-then established Xbox IPTV service, which will mean recording TV shows to its vast 320GB hard disk and watching live TV shows via your broadband provider.

But the piece de resistance? It’ll have a built-in HD DVD drive. Let Round 12 with the PS3 commence...

from >>>> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23956

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

If it is true then Xbox 360 Elite owners won't be to happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ultimate as in vista ultimate :p
    sounds promising already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Thats probebly Bill Gates 'BIG' Xbox announcement next week at CES

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

oh that sounds tasty and i'd defo trade my current one in for this. think it actually could well put xbox very far ahead in the console wars if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

miju wrote: »
    oh that sounds tasty and i'd defo trade my current one in for this. think it actually could well put xbox very far ahead in the console wars if you ask me

If the price is right.

If this console is really in development than its going on my to buy list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So will we see HD Only[SIZE=-1]™[/SIZE] games?

grizzly wrote: »
    So will we see HD Only[SIZE=-1]™[/SIZE] games?

I doubt it or Microsoft will have a console upgrade program.

Next year after the Ultimate we have;

uber360.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't use 360 on HD tv, wouldn't need a huge harddrive, already have an adaptor for wireless

All I would like is the quieter fan, but not worth buying a brand new one for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I have an old premium console, with no hdmi. Also got the hd dvd ad on for christmas. I would love a bigger hdd, built in wifi and hdmi with hddvd drive inside too. :rolleyes:

But that means all my old crap is already old, noisy, lacking in memory, and has a huge hddvd drive sitting on top :o

MS are tards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yay, lets all rip into MS over a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

- A quieter fan and better cooling system? It's about damn time really.

- Wireless networking? Considering the hefty price of the wireless networking adapter, this is another good addition.

- A bigger hard drive? Well the Elite has 120GB and that seems plenty at the moment. Maybe if Ireland had better broadband speeds, we could download those movies a bit quicker...

- A HD DVD drive? That could be the real system seller but it is a little soon to tell whether Blueray or HD or neither will prevail. Microsoft have often said they think downloading movies is the real way forward. Why bother with HD DVDs or Blueray if that's the case?

I've an elite and I would considering buying if the price were okay. When the elite came out there were a number of deals for upgrading premium in the likes of Gamestop. It all depends on the price really.

I hardly call MS "tards" for improving their console. As for releasing a faulty one in the first place... well that's another matter.

Does this mean another downgraded PS3 is on the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I hear there is also a big push coming from MS about the HD DVD ad on and the free HD DVDs. Chances are they are trying to clear as much of the add on stock before releasing a console with HD built in. Will be interesting to hear if Gates mentions it next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

id rather they put money into making xbox live more reliable first. its getting a lot of bad rap lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

faceman wrote: »
    id rather they put money into making xbox live more reliable first. its getting a lot of bad rap lately.

2nd that.....

Doubt they'll bang a HD drive in it... Would be a waste if they did. I'm a believer that downloading movies etc is where it's heading, if only we had the BB speed to do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I remember my brother saying that he read a business analysis stating that the HD-DVD was only release to compete with Bly-Ray until MS had a content-downloading service ready to roll. With a 360GB HD, I would say this could be it. With this in mind, I doubt the Ultimate will have a HD-DVD drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

From what i understand, Ireland isn't the only country in Europe with sluggish BB speeds.

HD-DVD drive may not be necessary... but MS may throw it in there as an inducement of sorts. If this rumored system *does* come with a built in HD-DVD drive, i will probably trade my current 360 in.

xanthor wrote: »
    From what i understand, Ireland isn't the only country in Europe with sluggish BB speeds.

HD-DVD drive may not be necessary... but MS may throw it in there as an inducement of sorts. If this rumored system *does* come with a built in HD-DVD drive, i will probably trade my current 360 in.

So will I, would like a machine that doesn't shake walls when running :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Well im glad I didnt jump at the Elite because ill surely be trading in my XBox 360 for this.:rolleyes:

Ah just bought a poxy elite at christmas !!!

• Advertisement

Ah just bought a poxy elite at christmas !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm sure that some of you have heard that the ps3 is getting a dvb tuner add-on soon. So tbh, if this "ultimate" is coming, MS are only adding everything that the ps3 can offer in one system. It certainly sounds like a good idea but then again if you buy a 40gb ps3 for 400, that dvb tuner add on and one of those upgraded hdd's(around 320gb i hear are available), you will have everything that would be in these "ultimate" 360's in the form of a ps3.So if it is coming, its only keeping up with the competition and offering little else new.I'd still prob buy one if the price is right.About 600E ye reckon??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm sure that some of you have heard that the ps3 is getting a dvb tuner add-on soon. So tbh, if this "ultimate" is coming, MS are only adding everything that the ps3 can offer in one system. It certainly sounds like a good idea but then again if you buy a 40gb ps3 for 400, that dvb tuner add on and one of those upgraded hdd's(around 320gb i hear are available), you will have everything that would be in these "ultimate" 360's in the form of a ps3.So if it is coming, its only keeping up with the competition and offering little else new.I'd still prob buy one if the price is right.About 600E ye reckon??

For the disgruntled masses the all in one solution will be the seller. I have met a large proportion of ps3 owners who were scared to change the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Zonda999 wrote: »

Not going to be much good in this country apart from the few people in Dublin area who can receive the DTT test signal and those along the border who can receive the northern signal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

glad i shelled out on an elite and a hd-dvd drive - seems pretty shrewd on my behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

mayordenis wrote: »
    glad i shelled out on an elite and a hd-dvd drive - seems pretty shrewd on my behalf.

Era, I wouldn't be kicking myself if I was you.

First of all, this is a rumour. And Autumn is an eternity away in tech terms.

And lads - 600 quid for a games console? Has anyone learned ANYTHING from the PS3 price debacle?

Sure, a quiet 360 sounds great, built in wi-fi pathetically overdue and we'd all like to see the end of the three red rings. But as has been said already here, BB speeds and caps make 320gb completely superfluous for most people here. The HD-DVD drive would be nice but I wouldn't pay through the nose for it.

I was quite excited when I start reading this thread.

But then I realise that most of my excitement was based on things that I thought/assumed would be included with my old premium 360.

ie. reliable and with an acceptable sound profile.

And by the way, if this is true, it completely vindicates all those who smugly defended their launch day PS3 purchases by saying it'd work out cheaper in the long run.

Who is laughing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well the €600 PS3 workouted out cheaper for me than the 360 but I don't use my PS3 at all.

The 360 P cost me 400 + 90 for wifi + 30 play and charge + 50 2nd controller + 200 HD. So far since launch the 360 has cost me €770. For every thing they should have had in it.

So the PS3 was €170 cheaper, an expensive paper weight mind you.

If MS bring out the Ultimate at €600 it will be great value and I think it will sell when people compare what you get compared to the €400 PS3.

Sony are roumerd to be bringing out a 80gb or 120gb model this year priced back in the €600 range and if MS bring out this it will make Sony look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

cooler architecture and a near silent fan.

I like the way the use the the improved flaws of the original 360 as a selling point for the newest one. Should have had this from the start imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Six hundred euro seems a bit much to be honest. There'd want to be a few games or movies thrown in for that price.
    I like the way the use the the improved flaws of the original 360 as a selling point for the newest one.

The cynical amoung us would say that was their plan all along..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

When you consider the price of the 360 premium(around 350euro), it is already bad value compared to the 40gb ps3.However if you're into gettin games on the cheap, you have to have the 360 - 2nd hand games for as little as 7.99euro in shops.Also, having both consoles myself, one has to admit the 360 is a much nicer gaming experience- everythings so much simpler than ps3.The idea of an "ultimate" 360 just sounds like a 360 with everything in the ps3. Despite it probably costing a lot more than ps3, it would undoubtedly be a sales success.People already know that the 360 is a great console so they would feel no doubt in paying about 600euro for one that has everything.When the ps3 came out first, nobody knew what it was like and they would have overlooked it totally when they saw the price tag. Microsoft know the 360 has a dedicated customer base and know already that an "ultimate" 360 would be a great addition to the range.So bring it on i say. I'm gessin it would render the "Elite" redundant????

Advertisement