Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a .ie website..... without a company?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm looking at setting up a website for a company that may be formed based on the initial success of a web based business idea.

It must be a .ie domain.

The query I have is when it comes to specifying the type of entity that the website will represent and the provision of the supporting documentation. It seems to be either geared towards personal websites or towards business only - nothing matching what I'll be setting up.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Register the business name with the CRO for 25 euro and the IEDR will pass the domain with the RBN number or you try get it as a discretionary by writing a letter on headed paper etc etc which the IEDR will more than likely reject or request a rbn to accompany it once they see it is going to be a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Make sure ownerwship issues are properly sorted out / agreed in advance. I.e. that the person/company registering the RBN will hand over the trading name (and .ie) to the to-be-formed company, if the project is a success. (Might need to consult solicitor).

Make sure the new company formed is equally entitled to the .ie domain, or IEDR might reject the transfer of the .ie domain.

If you're just trialling an idea, then you could try registering under the discretionary category, but you'll probably be rejected if you don't have any serious committments like printed marketing details, etc. It's probably worth ringing the IEDR to check that.

RBN sounds like the easiest way to secure the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The RBN is the way to go.

Discretionary domains are easier to get once you have at least an RBN. Getting one without the RBN is possible, but is more trouble than it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

That's great folks - thanks for all the useful advice.

I'll do the RBN this evening.

Advertisement