Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security Camera set

Options
  • 03-01-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I seen 1 or 2 other treads on this topic and people seen to have a good oponion on this.

My question is that I want to put in a small security camera system around our house at home day/night cameras.
    Would I set be better buy sets like the ones on ebay, simple and easy, they say to install or buy all equipment myself, mix and match cameras

http://cgi.ebay.ie/B2-NEW-4x-WIRELESS-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERAS-SET-2-4GHZ_W0QQitemZ300184876676QQihZ020QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would these sort of systems be easy to add cameras onto and I would like to be able to put a monitor in the kitchen so we could see all camera on it. I dont need to record all activity and I would like remote access from the web.

What do you think
    Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd be interesting in hearing about any cheaper diy options too. I'd probably be looking at mounting a camera at the front of my garage and have a tv/video set up inside to record review footage. Would be used more so when we would be away from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I would not be too keen on that system. There is no mention of resolution etc so my guess is that it's rubbish.
    RF concepts are mentioned on here a bit and cater for the diy market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

my advice would be to install a custom system involving descrete vandal proof dome cameras wired to a dvr. the dvr will allow constant or motion sensitive recording and will allow you to view via the net remotely. they can also be combined with your intruder alarm. normally wired in coax they can also be wired using cat-5 which might me easier and neater.the dvr has a few video out puts the most commonly used are flat screen monitors like that of a pc and using a scart or rca adaptor can be wired into any tv using the componant sockets on the rear of the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

coo, good into there and that might be better.

1 or 2 other questions for ya

Could I put 3 maybe 4 dome cameras around the house and hard wire them back to the DVR, which can then, record the motion detected action/display the action onto a TV screen

When running the camera cables back to the DVR, would I have to connect them to anything before the DVR maybe just a four port switch and would you know if the software for the cameras can be put on the DVR to allow them to be viewed on the DVR

I would not want a PC involved in the system

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Folks,

Just a thought for you:

If you are wiring the cameras back to a DVR,. make sure that you store the DVR in a safe. Otherwise the 'storage device' will just be taken if you have an intruder and that defeats the whole purpose of having one in the first place.

I would opt for multiple cameras with a hard drive capable of taking multiple (say 6) inputs and then capable of recording all 6 channels simultaneously at a decent resolution for 1 week at least before it overwrites.

If you go on a holiday for 2 weeks you can either reduce the resolution to give you a longer time or just get somebody to check the house after 1 week.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's all about budget really as regards what equipment you need.

The success of the project will depend on the hardest and most important part of the installation in an existing unwired building, which is planning and running the cabling, both power and video/data.

If you don't know anything about planning cabling and installing it so it is well hidden, it will probably end up a bit of a mess. A lot of electricians aren't great at planning data cabling either, or at hiding cabling.

Also, an IPTV camera might suit the OP's specified needs.

I would beware of trying to skimp in any way on a cctv system, especially on cabling (you can replace the camera and recorder/display later). On the other hand, don't gold-plate the thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

abakan wrote: »
    I dont need to record all activity and I would like remote access from the web.

What do you think
    Thanks a mil

Why would you want cameras & not want to record them??
    CCTV DVRs can be got reasonably enough & all the good ones now have network cards. Ideally for remote access you would also need a fixed IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

IMO. web based is the only way to go now that prices have come down

Have a peep here.
    from another forum where tis was covered.

The one issue with the dome cameras is that they seem to need to be mounted horizontally to work best.

Also the correct angle has to be chosen during commissioning as once the vandal proof lid is on you cant adjust it without taking off the lid again

http://www.encom.ie/Products.asp?CategoryID=125

The wireless ones here with MPEG4 compression are a nice piece of gear [ u will need a power cable to them but not a network cable back to the recording box

or

2 x Video Web Server http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/video_web_server.htm
    2 x RF Modulators to inject the CCTV signal into your TV coax leads in
    the house. http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/accessories.htm
    2 x Outdoor cameras : choose from
    http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cctv%20cameras.htm
    Various video & coax leads and also power supplies for the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shangralia

abakan wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I seen 1 or 2 other treads on this topic and people seen to have a good oponion on this.

My question is that I want to put in a small security camera system around our house at home day/night cameras.
    Would I set be better buy sets like the ones on ebay, simple and easy, they say to install or buy all equipment myself, mix and match cameras

http://cgi.ebay.ie/B2-NEW-4x-WIRELESS-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERAS-SET-2-4GHZ_W0QQitemZ300184876676QQihZ020QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would these sort of systems be easy to add cameras onto and I would like to be able to put a monitor in the kitchen so we could see all camera on it. I dont need to record all activity and I would like remote access from the web.

What do you think
    Thanks a mil
    DId you ever get a solution for youre home ?

Advertisement