Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

rc28 wrote: »
    Apparently the winds have turned westerly but this is good news according to someone on TWO!:
    "It would appear that a shallow low is developing in the North Irish Sea:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/30m/GB/pressure.gif

Reports from Dublin and other places in the east are saying that the wind has turned to a west or northwest direction, If that low does develop, the snow could be an all night affair in the N and E of Ireland."

Still snowing here- amazing!

And have a look on Met eireann site

Agree it could last quite long, and as WC alluded to, it could get around the low and and reach us further south from the west. I doubt that though and it'll probably slide northwards and stay in north Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    oddly enough it stopped snowing here nearly an hour ago (just the odd flake blowing around in the wind)

It's really hit and miss stuff, the showers are moving so slowly that once it starts snowing it takes ages to clear. I must be on the edge of a shower south of you cause it's showing no signs of stopping! Will post photos later.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Longfield wrote: »
    Could be anaprop but there looks like a little line of showers in Shankill/Bray area, anyone around there at the moment?

I'm in Shankill and there is NOTHING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still so much precip up there,

If this little low can push the anticlockwise back onto us!

Ahhh im getting ridiculous now arent i!!

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=52873

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

positron wrote: »
    Still snowing here and there's already about 4-6 inches (approx) on the ground. Wondering if this is enough to affect daily commute to work tomorrow? I could use some extra sleep (or free time to take some snow pics...). Any ideas?

There'll be no thaw and chaos will rule. Get up early to play, :D:D but not for travelling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It seems now that an upper NW breeze is pushing that shower arc back over Southern Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Might look like we're being inundated in dundalk but it actualy hasn't done anything in about 2 hrs. Anything that fell earlier has stuck but nothing new has fallen.
    Lot of people stranded on roads in NI according to the news...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Clondalkin here, some snow earlier and still some blowing in the now NNW wind.

Zero degrees and 1006 hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Ahh at last the snow has started - Not very heavy at mo but looks like heavy showers are goin hit me head on.:D

Lookin forward to tomorrow could get a couple of hours frontal snow as well

Seems Ireland surely did well out of this setup with lots of people seeing snow, I think the <20% risk for us was a bit out that the met office predicted lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is simply bemusing. I went out for a walk at 10.25pm. It was lightly snowing. Went up higher, but there was no difference in depths. On the way back, one of the neighbours the same age as me was making a snowman. Let's just say a snowball was made...:D

After about 15 minutes of frenzied attack, I headed back as I was expected back home. By that stage the snow was much heavier and my footprints and the car tracks were being covered over again.

It's absolutely fantastic! I've got another camera again after the other one's battery died but I've to take more pics.

The depth is now challenging 4 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Had about an inch of snow in Monasterevin, it snowed for about 1.5 hours (stopped an hour ago)

Temperature currently -0.5 C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting, hope thats not anaprop

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The edge of the shower must be moving now as the snow has gotten much lighter but I'm not complaining! Whod've thought I'd see 5 inches on the ground in one evening!

Longfield wrote: »
    Interesting, hope thats not anaprop
    Not a hope longfield.
    The flow is northwest now thanks to the shallow low-even way down here a long way away from the bulk of that mini system.
    You'll have to look northwest ironically for your irish sea snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slainte13

Getting hit again just as aI type it has turned into a big snow event accumlating big flakes 10 miles from Navan

Longfield can you post a few radar pics over the next hour before i give up hope and head to bed?!!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Not a hope longfield.
    The flow is northwest now thanks to the shallow low-even way down here a long way away from the bulk of that mini system.
    You'll have to look northwest ironically for your irish sea snow.

Is that good or bad for those South of the action at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Longfield can you post a few radar pics over the next hour before i give up hope and head to bed?!!

Nah, I reckon Black Briar is right, I'm only codin myself if i think its going to snow this time.
    I'm off to bed myself now.
    Snowbie (the nutter) should be back from his road trip shortly with tales of adventure!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd also like to add this much:

Credit to the Met Office for spotting the shallow low development as early as 6 pm. They were issuing weather alerts while the Eagle was telling us "there was a little bit of activity left".

I myself suspected it when I saw the 7.30 pm radar but the only thing to back it up was a NWerly recorded in Dunleer at 7. I only was definite of the wind direction change to NNW at 8.30 pm.

I've been told there's 4 inches of snow where John Eagleton lives, just for the record:D

As of 23.45 there is almost 5 inches on the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

How much where that other lad Gerry Murphy lives?

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Is that good or bad for those South of the action at present?

Ok ish I think for you as you may dip in and out of the system. Very Good if you are affected for the simple reason that the same snow showers are circulating arond the same basic area.So the areas affected now arent changing much.
    I wouldnt be surprised if parts of meath had 10 inches or a foot by morning :)

I think the showers are just dying over Louth/Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slainte13

i have to say I thought they where dying away in meath it really snowing heavy outside for the last 30 mins weird:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good if you are affected for the simple reason that the same snow showers are circulating arond the same basic area.So the areas affected now arent changing much.
    I wouldnt be surprised if parts of meath had 10 inches or a foot by morning :)

Cheers, rules me out so in Lusk...brief sleet with bits of snow mixed in earlier but clear sky now.

Danno wrote: »
    How much where that other lad Gerry Murphy lives?
    Ha!
    He has some egg on his face.
    Imagine trying to explain to commuters coming into dublin from ashbourne rathoath and navan and drogheda in the morning that the foot of white stuff thats stopping them getting in is shleeet...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Any chance of getting some out towards rathdrum, Co.Wicklow ?

:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few (proper) snow flakes in the wind here at the moment (wow!). Looks like the tail end of the ppn is now moving east.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just back from my trip.I took the stamullen turn off and headed up to Naul and by Jaysus the road was near impassable.
    Stop just up the road on burnarook road or something the other(sign was covered in snow:D) as i could not get up the hill there.

There was 4 inches on the pavements to my amazement,and the snow was still pouring down.

Met a bloke who was from Swords out there but was stranded as he could not get back due to an impassable dip in the road on the way back to the M1 which i found tricky myself and knew what he meant.

I took a few photos on the phone and will upload them now in the weather pics forum.
    Myself and my two older kids had a ball.:D

Btw,the snow started just after the Balbriggan turn off heading northbound

I think the showers are dying more as they reach meath, there is still very small snow flakes falling here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Still snowing ever so lightly here, nothing much, just little small flakes, but they are nice to see...........something at least! :rolleyes:

Advertisement