Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how does ntl work?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

was thinking of getting their 3m package...

but the thing is i think my landladys ntl connection is illegal...or at least fairly dodgy anyway..

i think she only pays for one connection, like an ordinary residential user...despite the fact that there are about ten apartments in the building!!

she has warned me before not to contact ntl if i have any problems with reception etc..though she doesnt seem too sure why she may get in trouble...her late husband just told her not to avoid drawing their attention to the building..

so im wondering if i were to apply for the broadband service would they inevitably cop this and get me turfed out of my flat??:confused:

im with ibb atm (ripwave) and have very few options otherwise..:(

any help greatly appreciated folks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You would be entiled to huge compensation if you were turfed out.

She would then be breaking two laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about being turfed out. She can't really do that.

I would imagine that she is paying the NTL bill through her place and NTL don't even know that the flats are hooked up. If you ring up, they'll say that you need a TV connection cos you don't have one and her scam will be broken wide open.

What you do, is up to you. If you're paying NTL yourself at the moment at the normal rate, then you're just putting money in her pocket.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope to god your not paying her the going rate for a NTL connection if you are your being screwed over and if I was you I'd have a chat to her about the need to get your own connection and the need to ring NTL regarding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mossnostril

thanks for the advice lads.
    the thing is im not actually paying for ntl (not that i dont want to--but who would i pay??)

i realise that what she's doing is illegal, but at the same time, she's been good to me regarding rent etc.. so i'd feel bad about getting her caught..

so i take ntl is out of the question then..
    anybody get that data card from ibb yet?
    im thinking about getting one as im already with them (ripwave) but i need something wireless as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The IBB card is ripwave also, but not as good range. If you have a very good Ripwave signal the card will work if there is a big window facing the mast.

Wireless Solution:
    You can add a ethernet WAN router with WiFi to the ordinary Ripwave if it is not the USB version (plugs in ethernet port). Argos calls them Cable Routers. An ADSL router/WiFi (phone port) is no use and a WiFi hotspot on its own is not good. Then the Ripwave box can be where the signal is best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

I would still go with the NTL it would be a much faster/better quality connection than ripwave. if there are 10 flats off the one connection she will be found out soon enough anyway. Phone up about bad reception (all they will do is disconnect her) and you can get your own point then.obviously you will have to pay a monthly fee

Advertisement