Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target Shooting

• 03-01-2008 4:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Bear with me please!!

Right towards the end of this year(2008) i want to get into target shooting. Either F-class or classic rifle. Now its my understanding that the only range, (and longest range), is the midlands at 600yrds!!

For f-class, should i go that route, i would like to either go with .308 or .300wm. I'd like to get a USMC spec m40a3(.308), Blazer LRS2(.308) or the Unique Alpine tpg-1(.308/.300wm). And very importantly the glass, either S&B, Swarovski or Zeiss. There is also the matter of eircom phonewatch, safe(infac) and membership to Midlands and also ammunition as i dont want a pretty wall hanging.

For the calssic rifle id like to get a SMLE N0.4 MKIII(T) or a Mauser k98k.

Now as you can see im already getting my arm and leg ready for amputation so cost is going to be a major factor in the route i go down.

I dont want this to be consigned to the history of this forum id like to be shooting 500yrds+ by next christmas. How do you go about getting into this type of shooting? Credit, bankloans or what? Any advice, posted or pm'd, would be greatly appreciated!! Also ill be importing everything, due to price. If i walk into an irish firearms dealer with this id make his f**king year!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Credit, bankloans or what?
    Not sure about fullbore, but for the initial outlay for my gear (which came to around 4-5 thousand punts at the time, even with a very good deal), I got a credit union loan. They're very good for that sort of thing. However, my running costs would be much lower than fullbore - only way to fix that is to earn lots :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

i was thinkin loan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Can you still buy an original Mauser k98k, or are they just replicas? How much do they fetch, I'd imagine mega bucks?
    I'm not particularly familiar with any of the shooting circles outside of the ISSF events, is there any reason why you're settled on F-Class and classic?
    Air rifle is a much cheaper and probably easier to get into form of target shooting, and a great place to start. Completely different given that it's shot at 10 metres, but worth considering.
    If you're set on longer range, .22 is also worth considering. 25 yards and 50 yard competitions are quite common.
    A cheap air rifle will set you back ~€500, and roughly the same for a very good .22 sporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

You can certainly still buy original nazi-stamped 1930's Kar98s for around 300 canadian dollars. I've only ever seen them in canada though to be honest, nearst I've seen to here would be the Yugo mausers from henry krank in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

newby.204 wrote: »
    I'd like to get a USMC spec m40a3(.308), Blazer LRS2(.308) or the Unique Alpine tpg-1(.308/.300wm)

While your into spending half the cost of a small house, have you checked these out? :D

http://www.mcmfamily.com/rifles.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There is a Lad who's a member in Midlands with a K98 (With Nazi stamp still visable on the wood) His one the action was still nice and tight. He got the ammo from Halpens in
    Listowel. And mentioned he needed to be extra careful cleaning it as it was
    old surplus's ammo.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

While your into spending half the cost of a small house, have you checked these out? :D

http://www.mcmfamily.com/rifles.html

I like my kit ha ha but seriously yes i have looked, however the M40A3 comes in cheaper than the mcfmaily offerings!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Newby,

Most people build up their equipment slowly over the years, I've been shooting for about 15 years and i still don't have everything want/need:D

Upgrade as you go and don't be in a hurry to have it all. Is'nt half the fun trying out different equipment?
    For example, I purchased a Leupold VX111 last summer which is for the rifle i intend to buy this summer.

But good luck whatever you decide:)

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Hi, thinking of getting into range shooting myself this year,was over on midlands range shooting .22 inquired bout membership ,first year 560. 270 from then on.Very professional, sound lads.

Advertisement