Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota emblems...

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I have noticed these down through the years on various Japanese imports. I am unable to find any information on why they are in place of the Toyota emblem and if it is only confined to Toyotas or other Makes in general.

a7b5_1.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Looks a bit like the scion (toyotas youth brand in the us) badge, but backwards and lacking the cross piece with the scion name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Japanese Toyotas have different front badges for each model. The above is the badge for the 2nd gen Vitz (Yaris over here). Some older models ('80s/'90s) just have the model name on the grille instead. Daihatsus and some Nissans are like this too (look at any Skylines for example), and maybe some others.

I dunno why exactly they do this either, or why they're only confined to the Japanese market (with some exceptions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The proper toyota badge is found at the back and on the steering wheel in JDM Toyotas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I remember Toyota had an emblem on alot of European-spec. cars here in the 80's that had a capital 'C' with 'xxx' written underneath it. I think some JDM Toyota's still have it.

That emblem shown above looks somewhat similar to the Scion car brand (also owned by Toyota).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I remember Toyota had an emblem on alot of European-spec. cars here in the 80's that had a capital 'C' with 'xxx' written underneath it.
    That was the Corolla badge... well upside down - originally a C with three stars over it (see pics here), which got turned into x's when everything went boxy in the late '70s. Euro-spec E70s and E80s didn't have this - they just had a Toyota badge on the grille. Dunno about before that. There were a lot of JDM E80 Corollas ('83-'87) around back in the day (my uncle had one, complete with annoying bell whenever you went over 120km/h or whatever it was), maybe you were just seeing them?

Older Mazdas had different badges too - and they were even worse as they had Mazda, Autozam, Efini and Eunos brands in Japan in the '90s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Euro-spec E70s and E80s didn't have this - they just had a Toyota badge on the grille.

The Euro-spec. E70's & E80's did have this emblem on the steering wheel I remember, just not on the grill.

Their was also the emblem on the early to mid-80's Hiace vans which was just a capital 'T' if I remember correctly.

We had a JDM '86 Starlet many years back that had no emblem on it at all. Just 'STARLET' written all over the place. I assume Toyota had a period in its history, like Mazda, that it had no emblem for the entire company at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

What ive just noticed is that toyota, lexus, daihatsu and scion all have the same shape of badge-eliptical.Spose its for different markets....By the way does lexus even exist in japan or was its only purpose to ship americans around?????

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lexus was launched in Japan in 2005, but all the previous Lexus models were available to buy under different names in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zonda999 wrote: »
    What ive just noticed is that toyota, lexus, daihatsu and scion all have the same shape of badge-eliptical.Spose its for different markets....By the way does lexus even exist in japan or was its only purpose to ship americans around?????

Lexus has been selling their brand in Japan only since about 2004. Up to about 10 years ago the Japs were not really interested in premium badges in their domestic market. Suddenly there was demand for the likes of BMW, Merc, etc because they were rare and exclusive so the people at Toyota decided to join in. These days Lexus cars are built in their own factories and sold in different showrooms to Toyotas, etc in Japan, all very posh indeed.

Toyota are doing with Lexus what VW have been doing with the Audi brand for a couple of decades now. Brand image and perception are powerful weapons in marketing a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I think that the Mustang also has its own emblem, a horse. Ive seen a few Nissan March's with an oval emblem inscribed Q'S.
    The Present Corolla emblem is, according to the Corolla Video, the full bloom of the Corolla Flower as blowing in the wind...:) Picture is of the Corolla Verso (known as the Spacio) which has just been replaced over there by the Corolla Rumion, a blown-up Bb...

• Advertisement
Advertisement