Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Do You Scam a Scammer ?

• 03-01-2008 6:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right thread, please move it if it is.

My friend is in contact with this chinese girl, who says she works for and export company and wants too sell Tv's and laptops.

Now in my mind its clearly a scam as they are selling 60" plasmas for like 400 euro and want payment over western union.

Anyways he is in contact with this girl over msn and email.

He hasn't made any payment to them or he won't but just wondering anyone know a way of catching them out ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Give them money, seriously. Ah go on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Offer them a 70" TV for 300e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Tell them that the Western Union office has new security measures to avoid scams, and that they need to send €25 in order to prove they are legitimate, and not a scammer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stuff is cheap in China. She's probably triple-double scamming you by not actually scamming at all. P&P will come to just under two thousand dollars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ha funnily enough she could be on the level. Almost certainly not, but its possible. Thats not far off the price it costs to manufacture those yokes in China, and a lot of factories there run for the western bosses by day and the Chinese bosses by night. Still p&p kills the deal in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Ha funnily enough she could be on the level. Almost certainly not, but its possible. Thats not far off the price it costs to manufacture those yokes in China, and a lot of factories there run for the western bosses by day and the Chinese bosses by night. Still p&p kills the deal in any case.
    A 60" plasma for 400 euro plus 200 P&P, I wouldn't complain about that too much!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, of course if your greedy then give them money and good luck to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

http://www.419eater.com/

haha used to love that site! some of the **** he gets the scammers to do is incredible! Get you mate to follow suit....could get some interesting pics out of her...ahem....of pots and stuff of course ..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

I know people in Ireland who've handed over money to Irish acquantances of friends of friends in exchange "for no questions asked" expensive products.

The products never materialised and the seller just stopped answering their phone. When relatively small amounts of money are involved its hard for the Gardai to get interested. Basically I wouldn't even consider this Chinese offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

get him to say he wants to use escrow rather then western union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nah when they ask you to send money via WU then just give them any old random 10 digit number as the transfer number. If nothing else you get a kick from them havig to go to an office only to be refused. Then "correct" the number by one digit, say it was WU fault and ask them to try again and see how many times you can get them to make a trip to an agent by coming up with different scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

here take a look at this website and decide if its a scam or not

http://www.ibbbc.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I;ve been getting a ****load of offers like that over myspace.

Almost the same deal and all.

Accounts are usually swiftly deleted.

I wouldnt risk it

well I know its a scam....just looking for ways to maybe slow them down...annoy them a bit

was thinking of tracking her ip but then again what can I get outta that....maybe report too the chinese authorities or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Dear friend:
    Because using the payment of PAYPAL lasts for a long time, the products on on our webs were cheated to take is excessive.A time just in the adjustment, during the period of adjustment temporary not accept the payment of PAYPAL.
    Thanks for your cooperation!

yeah cos that sounds legit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dear friend:
    Because using the payment of PAYPAL lasts for a long time, the products on on our webs were cheated to take is excessive.A time just in the adjustment, during the period of adjustment temporary not accept the payment of PAYPAL.

yeah cos that sounds legit :P

Translation.

We don't want no paper trail! Send us the cash now and the bunny lives.

well they operate from ibbbc@hotmail.com

So I'm just going to see how much of their time I can waste I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

1. Send the money over to the Western Union.
    2. Quickly fly to China and get a job in that branch of the Western Union.
    3. When they scammer comes in, give them the money. In the meantime make a copy of their passport.
    4. Ask scammer out on a date.
    5. Wine and dine the scammer until you get a chance to give them the herpes.
    6. Withdraw all the money from their account.
    7. Fly home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dublindude wrote: »
    1. Send the money over to the Western Union.
    2. Quickly fly to China and get a job in that branch of the Western Union.
    3. When they scammer comes in, give them the money. In the meantime make a copy of their passport.
    4. Ask scammer out on a date.
    5. Wine and dine the scammer until you get a chance to give them the herpes.
    6. Withdraw all the money from their account.
    7. Fly home.

Or just go over and beat them down. Than give them the herpes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Terrlock wrote: »
    here take a look at this website and decide if its a scam or not

http://www.ibbbc.com/

lol that site is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

They can't be for real. Those prices are incredibly low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Of course it's a scam, anyone with half a brain can work that out. I have been a member of 419eater.com for four years now and the things we get these guys to do are amazing, while at the same time helping to spread awareness about these scams.
    I have had people phone me at 4am from South Africa demanding to know why I am not at the airport :D Other members of the site have got scammers to tattoo themselves, sing songs, travel 600 miles for a Western Union pickup and lots more. Oh and we get them to perform stunts too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiCqefRhZdg

If anyone wants to join PM me.

Dear friend:
    Ah classic chinglish. Actual translation:

"Due to numerous fraudulent transactions from Paypal, we can no longer accept that as a means of payment until outstanding issues are resolved.
    Thanks for your cooperation!"

:D

Actually I'm sorely tempted to email them a link to this discussion to see if we can have the first ever chinglish debate on AH. I think the email would go a bit like this...

"Dear gentlemen, I hoped informs you to debate current occurs in boards.ie. I feel us to be able from yours input all advantage. You, simple sam."

"Due to numerous fraudulent transactions from Paypal, we can no longer accept that as a means of payment until outstanding issues are resolved.

Actually I'm sorely tempted to email them a link to this discussion to see if we can have the first ever chinglish debate on AH. I think the email would go a bit like this...

"Dear gentlemen, I hoped informs you to debate current occurs in boards.ie. I feel us to be able from yours input all advantage. You, simple sam."

Nah if you do that then they will just disappear and recreate a new website and email address to try scam more.

Although we could have our first joint AH scambait event hehe

Terrlock wrote: »
    Nah if you do that then they will just disappear and recreate a new website and email address to try scam more.
    You could be not false for temporary, but I did not think they meet the anvil and embark. Suitable vacation player always protect he from already.

Maybe this thread should be moved too the Online Buying & Auctions forum.

Sorry I didn't see that board when I first posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If they are shipping with UPS then tell them you'll pay COD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sign the email address up for a load of random sites. Make sure to sign it up to some adult sites. It won't be long before a spam bot picks it up.

and put into as many "guest books" as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Tell them all your money is gone for your rich aunt who has recently passed away leaving a huge fortune in a bank account. This fortune of course is only accessible by her giving an inital sum of €3000 to unlock the account and she can then become rich beyond her wildest dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ah chinglish! now thats a lovely word.

ah chinglish! now thats a lovely word.
    Google it on the image results, for the love of Jesus. You won't stop laughing till Santa comes around again. Fucked materials and cunt examinations on all sides! And don't forget, you too can have a chinglish conversation, by entering normal english into babelfish and running the Chinese translation back into english again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't see the point in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Get her to send it COD and once you check it out you'll give Mr. Postman a cheque there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Troublesome scammer you say? Send them to Judge Judy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDK6ctRjqw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Google it on the image results, for the love of Jesus. You won't stop laughing till Santa comes around again. Fucked materials and cunt examinations on all sides! And don't forget, you too can have a chinglish conversation, by entering normal english into babelfish and running the Chinese translation back into english again. :D

The f word mistake comes from the fact that in Chinese 干 (pronounced "gan1" or "gan4" has multiple meanings - they meant "dry materials" in this case).

But gan4 also means "to do" - so colloquially you can say I want to do you. Hence the mistake in translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thirdfox wrote: »
    The f word mistake comes from the fact that in Chinese 干 (pronounced "gan1" or "gan4" has multiple meanings - they meant "dry materials" in this case).

But gan4 also means "to do" - so colloquially you can say I want to do you. Hence the mistake in translation.

dry hump ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06/18/pc_builder_takes_419ers/

PC builder takes 419ers for £171
    Gotcha!
    By Lester Haines → More by this author
    Published Wednesday 18th June 2003 10:29 GMT

If you're as tired as we are of looking at the heavens with boggle-eyed disbelief that yet another half-wit has been taken to the cleaners by Nigerian advance fee fraudsters, then take heart at the following story.

It recounts how Clinton of Best Price Computers not only led the scamming ne'er-do-wells well and truly up the garden path, but also took them for £171. A modest amount, to be sure, but it's a start. Read on:

I had an email from Ajibola. I'd never heard of him but he learnt that I was a trustworthy person and he wanted my help to get some money out of Nigeria. Poor guy, his entire family was killed and the money was all he had. He very generously promised me 10% of fifteen million US$ for my help. You can't get fairer than that. We had several long discussions via email.

We also exchanged a lot of confidences. I told him about how I worked for a computer company and that I wasn't a rich man. He told me how God fearing he was and about how often he went to church. We were becoming good friends. To my bad luck the deal fell through. Ajibola needed $1500 to pay the bank a bribe, and I don't really have $1500 to spare. It's really a shame. And he was such a nice chap. We were even addressing each other as "brother", we had become that close.

I kept worrying about poor Ajibola's situation. He had all this money that he wanted to get out of Nigeria. Surely, I could find some way to help my brother. It kept bothering me. Till I had this brilliant idea. I worked for a PC company that sold expensive PCs. What if he bought PCs with those funds? OK, maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea, but I put it to him anyway. He liked it. Apparently he's got all these sterling cheques & they would be ideal to pay for the goods. We could ship the goods to his UK contact.

So we agreed a first transaction for ten of our top PCs. He sent me a cheque for £25,427 which arrived exactly as promised. (This guy really does keep his word). Unfortunately, his UK contact does need the goods urgently and they can't wait for the cheque to clear. It is a lot of money but I know I can trust Ajibola. After all, he’s a very God fearing man.

Accordingly we agreed to ship the PCs urgently for delivery last week. It’s a sad fact of life that things never go smoothly when you really want them to. There was a mix-up with the courier! (Personally, I don't think the couriers tried hard enough. We even asked the police to accompany them to lead them to the address, but the police were too busy).

This is a nuisance because we’ve got to charge £145 + VAT to re-attempt delivery of this 400 Kg consignment. I know it's not fair to ask Ajibola for this. It's not his fault. It’s just that my "boss" is away at the moment and I can arrange the re-delivery only if I get £170.38. It's company procedure. The best I can do is take it off his next order.

I think this upset him a bit and I had to smooth his ruffled feathers via email. He had this idea that we ship nine of the PCs and hold one back as "security" for the £170. That really offended me. How can he think that I don't trust him? I explained that it wasn't a matter of security. It’s that dreaded company red tape and the only person who can waive that charge is the boss who's on holiday.

Of course we could wait for the boss to return next week to authorise the re-delivery. By that time the cheque would have cleared as well! And we'd all be happy. But Ajibola reminded me that this delivery was urgent. He therefore arranged a payment of &pound:171 to our account by TT. The bank confirmed that this was received today and I was about to ship the goods when the bank added that the original £25,427 cheque bounced. Oh dear, oh dear, this does throw a spanner in the works. I know it's just some technicality. I mean, Ajibola is good for $15,000,000.00. That's a lot of 0s! £25K is small change to him.

But £25K is a lot to us. My only option now is to hold on to these goods till Ajibola pays the remaining &pound:25,256. It is a nuisance. This time I'll ask him to wait till the cheque has cleared. Not that I don’t trust him or anything, it’s just company procedure when a cheque has bounced. I'm sure Ajibola will understand. After all, we are family.

Marvellous. Don't feel too sorry for poor old Ajibola, though. By our reckoning, he still has around $14,999,750.00 in the coffers, if only he can find a trustworthy and God-fearing partner to help him liquidate it... ®

Advertisement