Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network Problem

• 03-01-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Strange problem here, my wireless network keeps dropping out after a few days, basically what happens is i have a good connection on the wireless, dsl modem is working but i cant log into most websites, i just get the "website found, waiting for reply" at the bottom of explorer page, but yet i can still connect to some, boards.ie, irishjobs.ie are two anyway. I cant connect to google for instance. I dont see any activity on the LEDs of the dsl modem ( no rx and tx flashing) When i connect directly into my dsl modem on a crossover, connection to internet works fine.

I've usually fixed this my resetting dsl, laptop and wireless router but this time it's not fixing it. When i check router status etc i can see it's picking up the correct addresses, DHCP on etc so i thinking is it a problem between the wireless router and dsl modem, but it doesn't make sense as i would have thought either all would work or not. The wireless router is seeing the dsl modem, picking up it's IP etc...

I'm using Dell Laptop with Intel Wireless Chip, Netgear WGT624 Wireless router and Cisco DSL Modem ( cooperate work modem). WinXP SP2.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before where some sites work but others dont, i've changed channel on router and few other tips came across in this but nothing seems to change it.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Sounds like the wireless connection on your laptop has stored inorrect DNS server settings. My best guess is that you need to set the connection to automatically retrieve DNS settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Sounds like the wireless connection on your laptop has stored inorrect DNS server settings. My best guess is that you need to set the connection to automatically retrieve DNS settings.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that but I have the DNS server settings set to auto, this is the one under internet connection - tcp/ip - properties, right? I have evrything set to auto detect which worked fine before so not sure now what the problem is.

Advertisement