Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pretty sure the cat is pregnant

• 03-01-2008 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Brought the cat that recently adopted us down to the blue cross vets last night. They don't have an ultrasound or anything but she was 90% sure the cat is pregnant.

Anyone have any advice for a first-time mum?

The first thing I'm worried about is if she has kittens in some awkward spot is it ok to move them to a box or something? Do they need peace and quiet - we've a very small apartment, there's pretty much always going to be someone in the room as my OH doesn't work. Any definite do's and don't's that I might not be aware of?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I hope you got your flame proof suite on this morning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Why? These are genuine questions, why would I get flamed for being concerned about an animal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

the dee wrote: »
    Why? These are genuine questions, why would I get flamed for being concerned about an animal?

I wouldn't flame you myself but be warned that there a more than a few here that when the words "cat" and "pregnant" appear in a sentence they mount their high horse and go in for the kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Is the cat in the apartment most of the time?

She may already have a favourite place where she likes to hide (behind a couch/bookshelves/etc) so she may go there. My cat had her kittens in behind a desk in a spare room and we didint know she was pregnant until we heard little meows one evening.

Maybe make up a bed for her with blankets and newspapers somewhere out of the way, quiet, and dark.

Well before that happens let me explain. She's not really our cat - she showed up at our house, fairly thin, so we fed her. We've been feeding her most days for the past month or two. Our neighbours think she belongs to someone down the road. We put signs up and no one called us. We've decided to take responsibility for her. We brought her to the vet, she's pregnant (probably). We know someone who's had cats all her life and will take the kittens. We will get her spayed once she's had them.

I'm not some irresponsible pet owner who didn't spay her cat. I'm helping out a cat who's 'owners' aren't doing their job. I've never had a cat who had kittens before and am just looking for some advice.

• Advertisement

Is the cat in the apartment most of the time?

She may already have a favourite place where she likes to hide (behind a couch/bookshelves/etc) so she may go there. My cat had her kittens in behind a desk in a spare room and we didint know she was pregnant until we heard little meows one evening.

Maybe make up a bed for her with blankets and newspapers somewhere out of the way, quiet, and dark.

I guess that would be the wardrobe, she's taken to climbing in there. Is there anything else we have to do? Or will she be able to do it all herself?

She likes to come in and out of the apartment. Should we try to keep her in? We got her a litter tray yesterday and she got the hang of it right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Personally I would get her a scan asap and see if the vet can spay her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I think Dee's going to spade (spelling?) her after her pregnancy anyway.

You shouldnt need to do anything during the birthing of the litter. My cats gave birth successfully on their own.

It'll be a bit messy though with blood and placenta hence the towels/newspapers. The mother will eat the placenta over the following few hours as she wont want to leave the kittens. She will be wary of you/your OH going near the newborn litter for the first few days. Maybe just leave some food and water out for her if shes peckish.

Hopefully all the kittens will survive birth. There lots of fun to play with. Good luck!

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    Personally I would get her a scan asap and see if the vet can spay her.

I can't really afford to do that right now. The vet said we'll find out one way or the other in the next week or two anyway. She was pretty sure she felt some kittens though. If they don't show up by the end of the month I should have enough to spay her then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Hi , i have 6 cats of my own and have gone through many pregnacies with strays ( who are now neutered)
    Leave her to herself, or she might reject the kittens. If you handle them straight away she wont be happy and there is a chance she will not feed them.
    Best you can do is give her a box to get comfie in and put in her favorite spot.
    Or, put some food in it to tempt her in. then she will know it is a safe place where she can also get fed.
    If you need any more help pm me for my phone no. would be glad to help.
    We have recently hand reared 4 kittens , 2 of whom have been rehomed to Mary26 only a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

One more question - I was googling about gestation periods and how long it takes to wean etc. Our lease expires the end of February and we'll be moving. That's only about 7weeks away. Is it ok to move them at that point, to another house - probably not with us but I know a few people that could take them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Yeah you should be ok at that stage as long as Mam is with them. and you give them the same box blanket etc so they have something familiar.
    Again pm me should you get into any difficulties. I'd be glad to help

DAWNRISER wrote: »
    Yeah you should be ok at that stage as long as Mam is with them. and you give them the same box blanket etc so they have something familiar.
    Again pm me should you get into any difficulties. I'd be glad to help

Thanks a million. I think I'm going to be a nervous vicarious mother. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement