Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

sticky accelerator ... ?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

accelerator seems sticky... when i take my foot off, it stays engaged for a few seconds, it also happens when i press the clutch, ie the engine roars for a few seconds !

any ideas what this could be ? (diesel ford '00 - recently serviced)

ta

ss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A sticky accelerator is usually caused by the cable and repaired by replacing the cable. Unusual that the clutch would be causing the symptom you describe but clearly the clutch pedal / cable must be snagging the accelerator mechanism which might also explain the sticky accelerator. Have a close look at the back of your dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

More likely the same problem, just that when the clutch is pressed the load is taken off the engine, allowing it to rev more freely.

Can you disconnect the throttle cable at the pump and rev it directly? Could be a sticky rack in your injector pump too. Or just crud built up around the mechanism.

Edit: Just noticed the "recently serviced" bit. Is this a new symptom since the service? Could be that your mechanic bent your cable out of the way to access something else and forgot to return it to it's original routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

thanks for your replies !

service was recent (enough !) September, and the problem appeared just before christmas so i dont think its due to the garage...

Id say you are right about it being the same problem.

"Can you disconnect the throttle cable at the pump and rev it directly?"
    - I dont know... no idea ! will have a look when i get home

a little while back I did break a plastic guard thing under the front passenger side, its a bit cracked and hangs (reversing out of some illegal parking, down a big kerb !) ... so wondering if that might have caused the prob...

basically you are saying that its prob nothing too serious ? will have to bring to garage to get the plastic guard fixed anyway ... but id like to have a look see if theres anything i can do to reduce the cost, such as replacing the cable myself .... money tight

is it easy enough to do / attempt ?

thanks a mill

ss

ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

What Ford is it?

Most diesel models (00-) have a fly by wire throttle (Electronic throttle) which means there is no cable. The electronic throttle pedals did give trouble on the diesel ford and the symptom was the revs to stay up even after your foot was off the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Healy - its a ford fiesta 1.8 diesel ... reg 2000.

Fly by wire... so def a garage job ?

ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I know it may sound silly but I have come across it before...

Make sure that when you depress the accelerator that it is not getting 'caught' on the edge of the floor mat for a second on the way back up...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Make sure that when you depress the accelerator that it is not getting 'caught' on the edge of the floor mat for a second on the way back up....

Yes this is also very true!

But yeah as far as i can remember the Fiesta 1.8d does have a electronic throttle so if its not something obvious like what Mike said you will need to bring it to a garage with diagnostic equipment.

Hope this helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'd be fairly liberal with the WD40 around the actuator for the pump, if it's exposed at all, before booking it into a dealer. I've no idea about recent Fords but if your broken plastic guard is letting a load of cr4p up around the engine bay, that could be the cause.

Advertisement