Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked before so apologies just in case!

I want to upgrade my MB, proc and ram. Will my existing Windows XP be valid (legal) for this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

So the XP you have you will have got in one of three ways , either it came with your current PC , its a full retail pack that you bought , or its an OEM pack that you bought.

Strictly speaking , if it came with your PC or its an OEM pack , then no , its not valid for your upgrade as those copies are tied to the original machine , and changing MB/processor/ram is pretty much a new machine.

If its a retail pack , then your OK , its valid on any machine as long as it is only installed on one machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

well i had an OEM verison and I changed my Processor/Ram/Graphics card/DVD rom .. and my one worked. I rang Microsoft and got an automated service,, (sorry dont know the number) I typied in my serial number or something and they called back to me a new code..

Someone here might know what i'm talking about.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

NeVeR wrote: »
    well i had an OEM verison and I changed my Processor/Ram/Graphics card/DVD rom .. and my one worked. I rang Microsoft and got an automated service,, (sorry dont know the number) I typied in my serial number or something and they called back to me a new code..

Someone here might know what i'm talking about.!!

Changing your CPU, RAM, GPU and DVD drive wont matter with an OEM version.
    However, changing your motherboard will matter.
    It's considered a new computer. You will have to get a new key.
    You will be prompted after changing your motherboard for online activation, follow the steps and ring the number at the end.

Fairly controversial subject actually. :)

Advertisement