Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I Sell a Car Privatly?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Apologies if the wrong forum, but I need to know the procedure to sell a car privately.

I'm selling a 01 car and meeting 2 potential buyers this evening.
    What should I do to ensure I get paid if one of them decide to buy?
    I dont want to become a victim of some bounced cheque or counterfeit cash but at the same time I dont want to insult a potential buyer by refusing his money. What's the best way to seek payment?

Also, do I hand over the keys and revenue cert/change of ownership immediatly or do I keep the cert and post it in myself after getting the buyer to fill in their details?

Any advise on the correct and safest way to do this...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

with the cars I've sold privately 2 that is, I've never given over the keys/car etc until i was paid, and with one I was paid cash the other I was paid in a bankdraft. If it's a cheque make sure it clears before handing over the car. also you get the new buyer to sign the ownership form and you send it in, otherwise they could be clocking up fines etc in your name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I agree, don't accept a personal cheque....cash or draft

I just bought a new car from a main dealer and even they don't take personal cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Watch out for anybody looking for a fee to send on customers willing to pay over the odds for it as your money will disappear into thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Any advise on the correct and safest way to do this...?
    It's all been covered in depth here before, a search will reveal all.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

If its a cash sale (obviously check to see if its counterfit) do the deal, hand over the keys, get the new buyer to fill out the log book and YOU post it yourself, DO NOT give it to the new owner no matter what he/she says.

If its a bank draft, lodge the money in the bank and if it clears hand over the keys... same goes for cheque.

By the way dont do a deal at a petrol station etc... try and get them to come to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Basically, if you don't get a good feeling from the buyer, or if there's something amiss with the whole deal that's going down, you can always postpone it for a day or two to think about it by telling them "Look, I can't sell it to you until Monday" or whatever, and that way you'll get time to think about it. Most buyers are genuine, but don't fall for any scheme other than a simple "here's the money/bank draft, here's the car keys" type sale.
    A lot of buyers (unless it's a cheap car) won't have the money in their pockets there and then anyway, they usually view, then tell you they'll call you or haggle, then agree for a price and shake on it, then return in the coming days with money/draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

bucks wrote: »
    If its a cash sale (obviously check to see if its counterfit) do the deal, hand over the keys, get the new buyer to fill out the log book and YOU post it yourself, DO NOT give it to the new owner no matter what he/she says.

This is the exact opposite advice that is given to purchasers - so what's correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

chump wrote: »
    This is the exact opposite advice that is given to purchasers - so what's correct?
    Where?

The change of ownership should be sent by the seller once the buyer has signed it, if necessary offer the buyer a photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd suggest specifying a direct bank transfer. At least you are guaranteed the cash and the buyer knows you are a genuine seller. There are dodgy drafts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I'd suggest specifying a direct bank transfer. At least you are guaranteed the cash and the buyer knows you are a genuine seller. There are dodgy drafts out there.

Recommended, done this at a buyers house. I love the interweb!

• Advertisement
Advertisement